1962 FJ40 FST Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the early 40s have the rounded door openings? I thought that would make it an FJ25?
image-486532297.jpg
image-1891255463.jpg
image-2672518467.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pro's will chime in with specifics.. but the early 40 FST had those door openings but not rhe rounded rear wheel well. I'd say fj40.

Ya the FJ40 FST model had the same door opening as the FJ25 until the 64 models. I currently have a 62 with those door openings. The wheel open changed as well as the gas fill. The FJ40 had the same fill neck as the hard top. The FJ25 FST had a opening in the nagle section and the tank has a neck attached that fit directly into the opening in the tub. They also had tube in the center you could pull up and pour gas in directly out of a jerry can. At the bottom pof the tube was a screen to filter the gas. The picture doesn't show it but the gas cap chain attached to the tube and that is how you pulled it up.
Img_0291.jpg

Last edited:
The bows are different. The front bows even more so than the back. Look at the 63 on CL listed in the 25 for sale section. Those are origianl soft top doors with a metal skin.

Looks like a later F 155 from the early '70s, so not the correct F135 for this '62. Should have had a column shifter, and not the floor...bench seat and not buckets...no roll bar, and stuff like that, but looks decent.
You can put an F135 back in, OEM rims with 700R15 tires, and look like the picture below...which is still one of my favorite cruiser pictures!

EDIT: Oh, and as for price...depends on what the rig looks like. What are they asking?
I know I wish I had an early rig like the one below...just not in cards to ship one at this point in time :frown:
40Top.JPG

Last edited:
What would a man pay for a rig like this? :hmm:

You can add wrong transmission and transfer case. Haven't seen a early cruiser yet that had a newer enging that the T/T was updated too. I picked up a 63 out of a junk yard. The engine was intact under the hood. The parts of the T/T were laying in the back. Figure the early T/T broke and reason it ended up in a junk yard. F135 lasted until the 68 model. the early T/T ended mid 63. Only a few hundred or so FJ40 were imported the first couple years. Many finding part for the T/T hard. A floor shift was a option on all FJ40 even these early ones. But the floor shifter is a lot harder to find then the transmission.

As for price probably about the same as later sixties early seventies. Maybe less since the soft top canvas is $3k from Badger and currently one other option. That is only if you have the bows which this one doesn't.

Living in the Past said:
You can add wrong transmission and transfer case. Haven't seen a early cruiser yet that had a newer enging that the T/T was updated too. I picked up a 63 out of a junk yard. The engine was intact under the hood. The parts of the T/T were laying in the back. Figure the early T/T broke and reason it ended up in a junk yard. F135 lasted until the 68 model. the early T/T ended mid 63. Only a few hundred or so FJ40 were imported the first couple years. Many finding part for the T/T hard. A floor shift was a option on all FJ40 even these early ones. But the floor shifter is a lot harder to find then the transmission.

As for price probably about the same as later sixties early seventies. Maybe less since the soft top canvas is $3k from Badger and currently one other option. That is only if you have the bows which this one doesn't.

I found some oem bows nearby but probably different than early FJ40s?

Honestly I had no plan. Just seemed like a really good deal. But without a solution for a top and doors not sure it's that great of a deal.

I think that if the guy is willing to give a little on his price, that this could end being a pretty nice old cruiser.

Oh, did you see this top thread; https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...-lets-honest-youve-built-everything-else.html

Wish I could find an older rig...and not need to spend another $2500-$3000 on transport, and customs and stuff :frown:

Damn Splangy you not going to let me off easy, are you?

LOL, no way!

How are the floors and frame on that thing? I may be interested if he can get the price down around $2k. Besides, I have all the mechanical parts to put it back together again!

LOL, no way!

How are the floors and frame on that thing? I may be interested if he can get the price down around $2k. Besides, I have all the mechanical parts to put it back together again!

That's right...you picked that nice '62 last year...wow, this would be a cool restoration :beer:

Does not have the correct windshield either, the correct one would have had the vent at the bottom. If it drives nice that's probably a fair price. I love the post on the making your own softtop. Shopping for a used walking foot sewing machine now.

Last edited:
It really does matter what you're going to do with it. It's not worth any more and probably less than a similar shape later model 40. ;)

Poke around with it, and run as is: Price is OK.

Return to original: Not enough oriiginal left, overpriced.

Modify into an awesome trail rig: Your buying a tub and frame everything else will eventually be swapped out, what's a tub and frame worth to you?

Nobody has jumped at my early soft top alternatiive. :meh: I've done two this way, if you score the top cheap it keeps you dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom