16inch six bolt rims for BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser said:
how does an 8.25r16 compare to a 255/85 r 16? I'm torn between the 255 and the 235 right now (both /85) for my OME'd hj60 w/ 3.73's.

Any input is welcome

the 8.25 is a 34" tire. It's a little taller and skinnier than a 255/85R16. If you're planning on keeping the 3.7s in your HJ you may be happier with the smaller 235s.

I badly wanted 8.25s for my 70 but had to settle for 255/85R16s. My truck has 4.56 gears and it's a little bit lower than stock with 235/75R15s. 8.25s would have been bang on.

David*BJ70 said:
Is toyota sell 16X7 or 16X8 steels wheels ?

Nope, nafaik. You would need to reference the Unique wheel numbers on 1st page. If you search in the 60 series forum I know this has been discussed, and another manufacturer was mentioned that will make them also.

hth's

gb

David*BJ70 said:
Is toyota sell 16X7 or 16X8 steels wheels ?

Just came back from Toyota dealer.

Yes for the 16X7.

Here the part # : 42601-04190 for Tacoma steels wheels (±80$).

Is Tacoma 16" wheels will fit for my 70 ?

I know Radd Cruisers show a picture for a 45 serie... but how about the 70 ?

Ahhh, yes. Forgot about the Taco rims.

I think the back spacing is wonked...like the Uniques. Something is telling me they are 4' or 4.5" BS. 4" will work, and you will lose 1" overall total track width. Never tried 4.5" BS.

See if you have a custom wheel shop in your area that is qaulified to cut and move the inners. Then check the Taco steel wheels to see if they have the room on the outers to be moved.

hth's

gb

EDIT. If you decide to go Taco wheels, phone around for some steel take-offs. Many times people will upgrade their rims, and leave the steel ones at the shops. I know there is a date change for what ones will work on the Cruisers, but I don't know the date.

Last edited:
Anyone else have experience with 255/85 and 3.73 gears?
I do have the h41 tranny with the lower 1st, which should help.
and I guess I *could* go to 4.11 if I need a little lower gearing.

In the end, I may end up with 235/85 just because they are easier to find.

Thanks for any advice.

bj70_guy said:
the 8.25 is a 34" tire. It's a little taller and skinnier than a 255/85R16. If you're planning on keeping the 3.7s in your HJ you may be happier with the smaller 235s.

I badly wanted 8.25s for my 70 but had to settle for 255/85R16s. My truck has 4.56 gears and it's a little bit lower than stock with 235/75R15s. 8.25s would have been bang on.

sandcruiser said:
In the end, I may end up with 235/85 just because they are easier to find.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey Sandcruiser, I am running 235/85R16 with the orginal 3:7 gearing.

But I am 3b, not 2H. It is noticeable for degrading of power. But liveable. 255 would be even more.

I thought 235 fitted the 60 series very well. I have 2.5 bds lift, they are the perfect size tire IMOP. Also the selection in this size is the absolute best. Not many 255's out there.

235 is almost 33's. they sit very tall.

The best size IMOP.

I have 255's on a stock 70 . with 3b and 373's. It's bearable, tho 5th gear is pretty much useless except on a flat or downhill. and of course the crappy h55 shift from third to fourth is even worse with the bigger tires....tho I guess you'll be ok in that regard... ;) one always seems to be back and forth between third and fourth on back roads.

I'd rather have smaller tires on it, but it has stiff ass re arched springs on it, and 31's look rather gay with the lift.

gonna take out a leaf and go with the 31's at some point probably, unless I find another set of 16's cheap.

cheers,
ryan

I finally buy the tacoma rim from toyota and a nice set of Toyo Open Country MT 265/75R16 (31,9"). I'll tell later how it work (next spring !).

I was use the 32/11,5/15 last summer with stock tranny and diff and I was very happy with... so I suspect the same.

Cheers.

David*BJ70 said:
I finally buy the tacoma rim from toyota and a nice set of Toyo Open Country MT 265/75R16 (31,9"). I'll tell later how it work (next spring !).

I was use the 32/11,5/15 last summer with stock tranny and diff and I was very happy with... so I suspect the same.

Cheers.

Did you measure the back spacing? 4.00"?

Thanks

gb

Greg_B said:
Did you measure the back spacing? 4.00"?

Thanks

gb

Honestly… not yet. I will receive it this week and I post you the answer. If the BS is not 4”, I don’t really car buying spacer.

Some news later

... 4,5" back spacing. (Tacoma 16X7)

I try the wheels without tire on the front driver side.

It turn well on the axle but it rub juste a little little bit.... just a little little... ah !

When I write my last post yesterday I was not figure spacers (wheel billets) cost more the ±125$ each here in Canada :eek: (I realy want to put this money somewhere else on my Cruiser... knucles kit for exemple...)

Is there another solution... other than Wheel Billets ?

Is there exist a kind of spacer that give just ½" and work like a "washer". You know, just put the "washer" spacer around the hub and put the wheel over it then bolt the wheels ?

Other solution... go back at Toyota dealer and trade my 16X7 wheels (4,5"BS)for 16X6 wheels (4"BS).

Thank.

David*BJ70 said:
... 4,5" back spacing. (Tacoma 16X7)

I try the wheels without tire on the front driver side.

It turn well on the axle but it rub juste a little little bit.... just a little little... ah !

When I write my last post yesterday I was not figure spacers (wheel billets) cost more the ±125$ each here in Canada :eek: (I realy want to put this money somewhere else on my Cruiser... knucles kit for exemple...)

Is there another solution... other than Wheel Billets ?

Is there exist a kind of spacer that give just ½" and work like a "washer". You know, just put the "washer" spacer around the hub and put the wheel over it then bolt the wheels ?

Other solution... go back at Toyota dealer and trade my 16X7 wheels (4,5"BS)for 16X6 wheels (4"BS).

Thank.

Bummer...

To nitpic...16x6 Toy with the part number in this thread will be 3.75" BS.

Marlin has 1.5" for under $100.00 USD a pair. I know there are other Cruiser/Mini-Truck sites that are the same.

You will not grab enough thread if you use a spacer that thick, when you add the thickness of the wheel.

hth's

gb

Aaaah ! Hope every one learn from my experience ! Thank Greg.

I will try to change the wheel at my local Toyota dealer since 3 still in the box and the other one still clean.

And another question... in the past I was use a 7" wide wheel with a 8-10" wide wheel recommend tire (32"X15 BF Mud) and I feel it fine. Can I expect the same from a 6" wide wheel with a 7-8" wide wheel recommend tire (265/75R16 Toyo MT) ? ( is I'm clear ?)

I know is not the BEST... but...

Thank

i have run 10.5 on a stock 6" rim with no problems...
how wide is the tire you are mounting in inches?

crushers said:
how wide is the tire you are mounting in inches?

Overall Width (inch) : 10,8

you will be okay but a sider wheel would be better. you will find the center of the tire will wear quicker since you are pullin gthe sides in further than recommended...

Has anyone seen these 17" factory rims?

2d_1_b.JPG

Part number 42611-60440 7.5" x 17" size for a Prado.

Dave

what about some of the other companies stock rims ? I know there was always an issue with caliper clearance on Chevy stock 16's, but nissan used the same bolt pattern for many years, they ever come with a 16? or Isuzu maybe?

just a thought,
cheers,
ryan

M John Galt said:
Please explain the "BS" parameter regarding wheel specs.
What is it?
How is it measured?
What should it be for a BJ-74?

BS = Back Spacing

Put the wheel without tire on a flat surface.

Take a measuring tape and put it inside the wheel. The number show on the tape where is the hole is the Back Spacing.

Stock BS on 60 and 70 model with 15” wheel : 3,5”

but, I already used 3¾” BS on my 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom