15b-ft or not to be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BURGER said:
Have you fixed that yet? Mine is driving me nuts!!!!

Burger:

Not yet...I'm so used to it it doesn't really bother me too much anymore. Been too lazy to crawl underneath there and see what washers I need. :D

Milo said:
The reason that it doesn't comfortably sit or overtake at 110km/hr is not because it is hitting it's rev limit but that it doesn't have the power to push the vehicle along any faster than 110 or so. The revs sit at a nice level (guessing about 2500rpm) at this speed. So more power and torque at the same speed will do the trick. After all, I don't need 200+km/hr out of it.

I can easily pick up a scrapped 1HZ for free being that I am in the mining game out here in the Goldfields. HZJ-75s are almost as common as flies around here. But it would need rebuilding and could well be beyond saving. However a brand new or recond motor will still fetch around 10 to 12 grand Australian. That tends to make the 13b-t look amazing at the price of 5.5k.

I do a lot of my serious driving down on the beaches around Esperence where we have some of the softest sands anywhere. The extra torque is a god send because it stops you from slowing down. That way you just chuck it into a higher gear and just chug along using bugger all fuel. If you have to rev the guts out to keep going (using the power rather than the torque) then you'll use heaps more fuel.

As for the 12HT, I am NOT putting one of them in my shorty. Are you sure you didn't mean a 1HDT?

All in all, I just like the way the 3b drives. A nice square little motor that produces heaps of low down torque. This is why the 15b-fte would be so good.

All good reasons then,but I had a 1HZ rebuilt in Perth for $4800 using an OEM rebuild kit plus $1500 on the pump which wasnt budgetted.

Yep ,I meant the 12HT.whats wrong with those?

personally i think that 13bt is a much better option. Of money is the limted. Although this trip when i was back in Jakarta my dad's friend whos got 2 Bjs had one which got the 13bt in it and another a 15bt in it. Havent got the chance to look at it yet.

You got to think of the fuel comsumption as well. Long term how much fuel money are you willing to fork out. Being cool is good but being smart of getting stuff thats much worth it and it comes down to bang for your buck

All in all its up to you although my personal opnion is 13bt which i think will be enough for yourr car.

Ahh that's funny, I guess the name Milo and you live in WA as he does I just figured it must be the one and the same because I recall he was thinking about a 15BT as well, cause he has the troopy and the 42 both painted green.

I'll be watching to see what you decide on because I'm in the same boat. Tossing up whether to turbo the 3B or do a transplant.

My 42 though has no troubles doing 110km/hr in fact it cruises better and quieter at 120km/hr and I have had it as high as 160km/hr just to see what she had. It ran well to at that speed, very stable, probably because I have the rock hard Rancho RS 5000's in it.

roscoFJ73 said:

12HT...one of the most untalked about bomb proof old school, all mechanical and gear driven 6 cylinder motors Toyota diesels built. Any list , any where, any application...discussion keeps on coming back as long lived, grunty. I think it was you roscoFJ73 that talked about the short production run, but with with tons of applications it was used in = parts avilability?

gb

R2HKS said:
My 42 though has no troubles doing 110km/hr in fact it cruises better and quieter at 120km/hr and I have had it as high as 160km/hr just to see what she had. It ran well to at that speed, very stable, probably because I have the rock hard Rancho RS 5000's in it.

Oh yeah? What were your EGT's at 120 km/h and then at 160 km/h? I've never taken my 13B-T up to 160 km/h (I doubt I would make it there), but at 130 km/h my EGT's get fairly hot even on flat ground. (H55f, 4:11, 255/85r/16, as far as I know stock fuel settings and 9 psi max boost).

Stone said:
Oh yeah? What were your EGT's at 120 km/h and then at 160 km/h? I've never taken my 13B-T up to 160 km/h (I doubt I would make it there), but at 130 km/h my EGT's get fairly hot even on flat ground. (H55f, 4:11, 255/85r/16).

No idea, I don't have a pyro hooked up yet. Remember mine is so far only an atmo 3B. If my atmo 3B can get up to 160km/hr run 31's and 4.11's I'd be vary disapointed if a turbo 13BT couldn't do the same but get there quicker. The funny thing was it was still accelerating albeit slowly, but may have even gone another 10km/hr on top of that.

From what I have seen other people say my 3B seems to go a lot harder than most for some reason. The fuel has been tweaked a bit though ;) Maybe it has something to do with me running a 4sp?

R2HKS:

Well, I don't know if my 13B-T really won't take my BJ74 up to 160 km/h, but when I'm going 120 km/h on flat terrain she is already doing 2800 RPMs or so, and the yellow line starts at 3400 RPMs. To tell you the truth, I don't like hearing my engine hit 3000 RPMs and that probably is more the issue here. :D

I'm also running 255/85r/16 tires (33.3"), and that gave me lower RPM's at highway speeds on 5th gear over the 32" tires that came with the truck.

You should stick a pyrometer in your 3B...might make you think twice about hitting 160 km/h with it. :D

Last edited:
I think you are dead right. It was winter time here but hey it was probably say 20C and it was night and I've only done it once coming back from a job on the freeway. This was how I bought the truck and I know the fuel had been tweaked before I bought it a little and I have tweaked it a little more since then and it goes even harder now, but I'm going to knock the fuel back because I know the EGT's are running a fair bit higher when I lift the hood, theres a bit more heat you could say. :eek:

Don't ask me what revs it was doing either because my factory tacho is not working but she was reving pretty hard but no bad vibrations or anything.

I'll definitely add a pyro before a turbo install and run some tests and stick it on the chassis dyno and do a rwd run and a run in 4wd also to get before and afters.

Stone said:
To tell you the truth, I don't like hearing my engine hit 3000 RPMs and that probably is more the issue here. :D

I'm with you Stone .. my cruiser speed about 120 km/h never more, at these speed 2800 rpm are beyotifull for me .. better I thought if I can go at 2500 rpm ..

Keep in mynd in my 2H the yellow line start at 3500 rpm .

Stone said:
After listening to my PTO winch lever rattle all day, I don't think Greg could be convinced to trade his factory Toyota 24V winch for a PTO. :D

sssssssshhhhhhh Greg don't need to know those parts .. :D

roscoFJ73 said:
All good reasons then,but I had a 1HZ rebuilt in Perth for $4800 using an OEM rebuild kit plus $1500 on the pump which wasnt budgetted.

Hmm, maybe I should snaffle a 1HZ block and strip it to see what condition it is in.

Well, I haven't had anything to do with the 12HT but I have had a bit with the 2H. It's not a bad motor but by comparisons the 3B is a better motor. Plus if I was to put a 6 cyl diesel in there it would be a 1HZ. It is quieter, smoother, more powerful, more torque and better on the fuel than the 2H. Although with the insanely close clearances of the 1HZ it is also more breakable than the 2H. Unless the 12HT is significantly different from it's non-turboed brother I would tar it with the same brush.

From what R2HKS is saying, if I can get my 3B up to performing similarly I would probably leave it as a 3B. Now, who do I know with a compression tester...

Milo said:
Unless the 12HT is significantly different from it's non-turboed brother I would tar it with the same brush.

Piston oil skirt cooling on the 12HT...which the 2H does not have.

The 2H seems to crack rings, and I have not heard any such problem with the 12HT.

Oil skirt cooling: All the difference, and probably one of the reason the 3B is such a stout little motor too.

hth's

gb

15 15 15

Get it!

Do it!

Get the 15B-Ft.

Install it. Bolts right up to the tranny.

Dave said:
15 15 15

Get it!

Do it!

Get the 15B-Ft.

Install it. Bolts right up to the tranny.
Do they? I thought they bolted to the M152 trannies? Same bolt pattern but different input shafts I think.

Greg_B said:
Piston oil skirt cooling on the 12HT...which the 2H does not have.

The 2H seems to crack rings, and I have not heard any such problem with the 12HT.

Oil skirt cooling: All the difference, and probably one of the reason the 3B is such a stout little motor too.

hth's

gb

Do the 3B's have oil squirters for the pistons? If so saweeet! Main difference between turbo gasser pistons and atmos are the turbo's are oil squirters to aid in cooling. Even better reason to turbo the 3B!

I have run my 42 3B against a mates 80 series 1HZ, numerous times (my truck was his old truck) and we are neck and neck up to about 110km/hr. He starts to gradually pull away from me from there on. Basically he pulls away when he goes into 5th.

R2HKS said:
Do the 3B's have oil squirters for the pistons? If so saweeet! Main difference between turbo gasser pistons and atmos are the turbo's are oil squirters to aid in cooling. Even better reason to turbo the 3B!

Yes, but then you are coming up against losses as you try and squeeze all that air past the precups, the resultant impediment and increased heat load into the head. Versus the DI 12HT, 13BT, 1HD-T where there is no precup. That said people have been putting turbos on IDI engines with moderate boost with no problems for years. A few have upped it, and seem to be ok. Then there are those who have ported, polished and increased the opening in the precup and are running highish boost for an IDI (15-18psi boost).

Do a search here for DI and IDI for lots of discussion on this.

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom