13-15 LC LED fog lamp install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

Us 13-15 landcruiser people don't have any really good bolt-in LED fog lamp options due to toyota using a larger pattern for their mounting brackets. The same year LX has a compact assembly that is shared with other more common toyotas and as a result the LED manufacturers offer some nice drop-in lights that can help a lot at the function of actual fog lamps.. that is, low-glare light color, illuminating the road under the fog.

This past summer I pulled my old fogs to take some measurements and see what I could shoehorn in there even if I needed to build some adapters to make this work. @CharlieS had done this in the past, having a shop bend up some brackets that worked great, but were a bit pricey on top of the lights themselves. Diode Dynamics was doing a Labor Day (i think) sale and I snagged some Elite Type B lights, and those have been sitting around until I could find time to make this all work. I have a ski trip coming up next month and needed to get this sorted before all of the snow driving so a few days leading up to christmas were dedicated to this.

A note about fitment.. I'm not sure if this will work with other brands, but the DD type B format has the offset front lens like our stock ones, and the ears aren't a direct fit but close enough to (relatively) easily make adapters.

It is possible to do this job with the bumper skin staying in place, just remove the lower plastic gap cover and loosen the fender liner, then you'll have enough room to loosen the stock fog lamp and bracket, then two more bolts to get the surround out of the bumper. The hardest part here is loosening the clips that hold the wiring harness in place.. not a lot of room to work. Once the two parts are separated they can slip out the gap at the bottom and you'll have this on the work bench.

IMG_1433.JPG

This is the whole gray and chrome surround with the lamp and bracket slid into place. There are two ears on the left that fit into slots, and two 10mm screws on the right that hold it in place.. I have these removed.

The goal is to get this to fit the same way

IMG_1432.JPG

Last edited:
First I traced the old bracket and rough position of new mounting ears.

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

Cut out some unneeded meat.

IMG_1436.JPG

A fair amount of fine tuning to get the bracket to fit snug.

IMG_1437.JPG

Dig into the old bolt bucket and mock things up. This is the second revision where I used a different strategy to get the extra aluminum cut out.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Second and first draft, respectively. I did end up rounding some edges before copying to the other side and final install.

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Last edited:
After sorting out some unrelated bumper harness issues and adding a bit of plasti-dip.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Note that I haven't yet aimed them for correct beam angle.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with the results, especially considering how simple they were to build. I don't really think there's enough of a market from this specific year range/model to justify selling as a product so I'll probably just clean up the dimensions and post them for others to copy for personal (not commercial) use.

So stay tuned if you'd like to do something like this.

Last edited:
If you or anyone else decides to make a small batch, I'd be more than happy to pay for a set!

Could they be 3D printed, plastic? Or do they need to be stronger.

My son has a spiffy new printer, makes amazing things with it.

Could they be 3D printed, plastic? Or do they need to be stronger.

My son has a spiffy new printer, makes amazing things with it.
I don’t see why not with a rigid enough material. We could actually improve things a little.. the 1/8” material is slightly thinner than the ears of the stock bracket allowing just a little fore/aft play.

I have a friend with a scanner that I can probably ask for some help.. let me get through the holidays and see what can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom