120 Series General Tech and Classified (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jynx am I correct that those are the aluminum RCI skids? Is that what you had on before? What tore the old ones up? I'm looking at buying some for my 4Runner and having a hard time deciding if I'm going to spring for aluminum or not.

@HoneyBear we were running stock skids at GSMTR and rode them down a few rocks, so these are replacing the banged up stock skids. If Erin was going to wheel the GX like @BMThiker does dig-dug, I'd probably go steel (because they can be banged back out if needed) but for the light to moderate wheeling we are gonna be doing the aluminum should be more than enough.

We just did front and gas tank for now as that's what is under there in stock trim. Will likely do the trans and t-case in the future as I noticed some scrapes further back when I was under there this weekend.

The weight difference was worth the extra $$ for me. The front alone is like 34# in Al vs. Nearly 80# in steel. That's the difference in installing by hand or needing a floor jack or extra set of hands.

Unfortunately the lowest vulnerable point on the truck (tcase) is right at the breakover point. I highly recommend some sort of skid there, if you're going to drag it over any kind of rocks.

03BB6140-9E43-4E2E-9D59-6EA0DBEEC300.jpeg
4B6BF586-0038-49B8-A2B1-4320C50C0BE5.jpeg
B1227234-C0EE-4100-B4C3-D87F003D3FEA.jpeg
Heading to Florida (0530) with a buddy to pick up this 05, 130+K, non-NAV GX.

Has lift/tires/sliders and Grogan-edition Bronze Wheels.

My friend’s been looking for a while and I found this one within a half-day of it being posted on Mud.

I just don’t see it with these things.

Yes. Quality.
Yes. Size.
Yes. Bang for buck.

No. Y chromosome.
More so than a 4Runner. Remember, a GX is a Land Cruiser in every other part of the world :flipoff2:

Well, I guess since XX drives it in our house it's ok...:flipoff2:

Anyway, speaking of, she got powerstop'd today. New rotors and pads up front.

Old
0721181113.jpg

New
0721181159.jpg

Took it out and bedded them in afterward.
She's happy.
I'm happy.

This GX was added to a 2016 TRD Pro 4Runner and a built-ish 1st Gen 4Runner...so it wasn’t between the GX and an 89-n-older Land Cruiser...it was between the GX and a minivan.

This VVTI 2UZ in such a small/light truck feels like a rocket. (Compared to my entire fleet).

Sure like what they did with this one:
6B7B478A-EE12-43AD-AA95-2227811A69B3.jpeg

Have lights, waiting for a bumper.
0926181830.jpg

Waiting on our Dissent Bumper for the GX.

Last minute crawl prep.
  • Double checked spacers on all 4 corners
  • Oil change
  • Installed RCI gas tank skid.
1009182050~2.jpg

Finish packing and head out tomorrow evening after work for 1st leg, then finish up Thursday. Should be there around lunch. Looking forward to it.

Coming soon

Screenshot_2018-11-02-16-24-25~2.png

Had an awesome time AT SSS '18, but it seems my penance for not bringing the Pig has been established...

1111181206.jpg

Nothing like the smell of gear oil wafting into your nostrils at 1:00 AM after a few hundred miles on the road.

Headed to the parts store to get seals cause the parts dept ain't open on Sundays, then I will tear into it this afternoon. Hopefully the bearings are ok, but probably need to order some and find a shop that can press those bastards on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom