120 Series General Tech and Classified (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not terribly technical, but I've been working on my armor redux. Got the skids reinforced with tubing on the edges and painted them up and removed my front bumper to cut away part of the top edge that was eating into my grille and headlamp assemblies. While the bumper's off, I'm also taking the time to rebuild my Warn 9.5xp winch. Definitely needs a new solenoid or two, thinking I might go with the Albright solenoid solution I've just discovered while researching the rebuild process. The current location of the solenoid box is under the right wing of the bumper and it's not very convenient. I plan to relocate up into the engine bay.
APskids_2017 (29).JPG

[yes, I know my welds look like snot]
[but my freehand cutting skills are top notch]
APbumper2017 (3).JPG

APbumper2017 (4).JPG

Sheared a stud off one of the bumper mount brackets. Hey, 7 out of 8 still good!
APbumper2017 (1).JPG

Fresh coat of semi-gloss
APbumper2017 (6).JPG

While all this is going on, my truck has actually been at the body shop, but not for the reason you're all thinking...

I have the infamous inner fender rips that were prevalent on 1st & 2nd year models. I ignored them for 10 years and now its affecting my hood latch. The rips started as small cracks at the top and have finally worked all the way to the bottom of that section.

FrontApron2017 (1).JPG

FrontApron2017 (3).JPG

Hood latch cross member is crack too.
FrontApron2017 (2).JPG

In the meantime, my friend is letting me drive his '08 4Runner (that one year they came with the V8 option) Va-Va-voooom!

I will say this though, the yaw sensor in this model does not like the big tires and/or the lift. Even when I disable VSC with the switch, it still beeps and brakes the outer tire on a hard turn at slow speeds.
IMG_2229.JPG

Prinsu rack for GX470 Coming soon! Or so I have been told :)

@BMThiker 4R doesn't use the factory mounts? That I did not know. Not sure I want to drill more holes in the roof. The GX already has 3 mounting points on each side...

@Bomar Yeah, I got into that rabbit hole a little earlier today. Still don't understand why he hasn't made that side rail. I mean his racks are very simple from what I observe. the side plates are custom, but he cross-bars are all the same, just vary in length by vehicle. Would think it would be a fairly easy process to adapt to a new model. The fairing would seem to be the most complex piece to make for a new vehicle.

Either way, I guess at this point I will just have to wait and see. The info came from an email I got back from Zack saying that it was in development and should be released in a month or so. That sound familiar or could there be hope for it?

I ran point on a group buy and apparently I was the only FJC rack, all others were 80's. He had issues with the machine shop that was doing all the cutting. He doesn't even cut the crossbars himself, so there were delays in mine because the crossbars were cut the wrong length and he had to wait on the shop for corrections. He was always slow to respond to me via email - never mind the fact that I was organizing a group buy (25 racks) for him :/

...While the bumper's off, I'm also taking the time to rebuild my Warn 9.5xp winch. Definitely needs a new solenoid or two, thinking I might go with the Albright solenoid solution I've just discovered while researching the rebuild process. The current location of the solenoid box is under the right wing of the bumper and it's not very convenient. I plan to relocate up into the engine bay.

After more research, Warn has updated their solenoid pack out for a sealed Albright type contactor, so I'm going the easy way out with a direct replacement from Amazon. That leaves more time to tear down the gears and motor, regrease and rebuild.
Warn83664Contactor.jpg

@BMThiker Rick, you wouldn't happen to have your stock top-hats from your OE front CO's laying around would you? I'm looking at an Ironman setup for E's GX and would like to have to pre-assemble the fronts to minimize down-time should everything pan out.

Lol

Screenshot_2017-05-13-08-32-13-1.png

That's amusing...

Well hells Bells, SSO already has a pimp rack for the GX that I can order today...

IMG_8292-1.jpg

And planning to pick up a Tepui RTT soon. I need to review the criteria, but maybe, JUST maybe we are close to being eligible to apply for our #EAF badging soon... :smokin:

Well, apparently SSO literally just released this product for sale. I stumbled upon a post to Instagram dated yesterday that said they just added it to their site for sale. That is dumb luck if I ever had any, regardless, I have one ordered and the nice young lady on the phone said they build them to order so may be 2-3 weeks before it ships. @THeGeNTLeMaN been looking for just this style rack for a couple months and if by chance I am order #1 I'm going to need it signed and numbered on the corner of the fairing :D Thanks to you and to Southern Style for putting it together. Look forward to getting it mounted.

Last edited:
Holy crap! So were the fender bars all that was holding the front end on? That is crazy that they break like that, but good that they are replacing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom