100 series sleeping setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Foam sucks because? Moisture or just preference or? This mattress is the same one I'm sleeping on at home, I removed the bottom layer for a tad more headroom, bench tests ok for camp comfort. I like that I can shape it around the fridge shelf. I plan on making some PUL fabric covers that will prevent moisture from getting to them.

I had a grizzly self inflating roll that was awesome until it got a hole, i don't have to worry about that with the foam.

Foam sucks because? Moisture or just preference or? This mattress is the same one I'm sleeping on at home, I removed the bottom layer for a tad more headroom, bench tests ok for camp comfort. I like that I can shape it around the fridge shelf. I plan on making some PUL fabric covers that will prevent moisture from getting to them.

I had a grizzly self inflating roll that was awesome until it got a hole, i don't have to worry about that with the foam.

Foam sucks because its just foam:hillbilly:
Over the years I have slept on everything and was hard pressed to spend the money on ExPed (read cheap) but once I did I was sold. My wife now sleeps on one also with nothing but praise. I have never seen an used Exped for sale because they are that good. I spend ~50 nights out a year and ExPed is as good as it gets for a mattress.

You are 100% correct that no worries about a hole in foam but with Exped you sleep so well its not a concern and a fix if needed is fast and easy. I have converted many and never a disappointment.

Exped Mega 10 is what you want and you and your partner will thank me.;)

Almost finished with my set up, getting ready for Cruise Moab. Shelves in back a tad higher than the tail-gate, cut to fit the Rigid Tool Boxes. I pulled the 40% rear passenger seat and put my fridge shelf there. I cut up a Queen foam mattress from amazon for ease of removal and increased secured cargo area. Added some aluminum anchor tracks for securing anything that won't fit in the shelving, want to limit this to soft bags, clothing bedding etc. Any camping heavy stuff to be secured in the shelves within boxes.

I can pull this entire set up out in about 15 min. 4 turnbuckles holding the main box in place, 2 seat bolts for the fridge shelf and four bolts holding the sleeping extension to the main box. We'll see how it holds up in moab. lan on using that as a test run, then pulling it apart and making any adjustments needed, then bracing and gluing it all up.

Lots of inspiration from @CruiserDave 's KISS and @TheAshenWolf 's build.

Nice setup. I am thinking about putting a fridge there. How did you secure it? Is that the 37 or 50 dometic and how to you like it?

Here are a few photos from a handful of trips i have taken using the non-drawer option of the SS1. Depending on the trip i have been using either a queen sized air mattress from REI, a backpacking sleeping pad or the super plush bed roll you can see in one of the pics. This has been an awesome set up for sleeping in the cruiser!

20526080_1907754012830112_4004330339045635158_n.jpg

20170701_084048.jpg

20170527_165005.jpg

20170527_195955.jpg

Unlined sleeper.jpg

Here are a few photos from a handful of trips i have taken using the non-drawer option of the SS1. Depending on the trip i have been using either a queen sized air mattress from REI, a backpacking sleeping pad or the super plush bed roll you can see in one of the pics. This has been an awesome set up for sleeping in the cruiser!
I took lots of inspiration from this product when building my own. Great setup! I'm sure the light weight is nice, too.

Did I see this for sale on craigslist?

No, not for sale. Can you link the add, would be interested in seeing it.

Nice setup. I am thinking about putting a fridge there. How did you secure it? Is that the 37 or 50 dometic and how to you like it?

I have the small 28Qt, got it as an open box buy and couldn't help myself 1.5 years ago. I use it as a beer fridge at home and works well for a few nights worth of beer and food. Will hold 24 cans plus the shelf, which is about 10 deg warmer than your stet temp. Happy with it.

I can also mount my 54 qt Coleman Steel Belted Cooler in the same spot if needed.

For the shelf, I made a 2 layer plywood sheet and used the 40% seat mounting bolts to hold it down. I used a forstener bit to cut recesses so the top of the bolt heads are under the level of the top, then I used a section of the Aluminum tie down strips for hold-downs. I'll take some detailed pics tonight.

Last edited:

Dometic drawer fridge would be great when using the platform set ups

image3629.jpg

Have any of you thought about something like camperbox? I don’t need a platform all the time and it looks like it could be a interesting temporary sleeping setup.

The Camperbox

No, not for sale. Can you link the add, would be interested in seeing it.

I have the small 28Qt, got it as an open box buy and couldn't help myself 1.5 years ago. I use it as a beer fridge at home and works well for a few nights worth of beer and food. Will hold 24 cans plus the shelf, which is about 10 deg warmer than your stet temp. Happy with it.

I can also mount my 54 qt Coleman Steel Belted Cooler in the same spot if needed.

For the shelf, I made a 2 layer plywood sheet and used the 40% seat mounting bolts to hold it down. I used a forstener bit to cut recesses so the top of the bolt heads are under the level of the top, then I used a section of the Aluminum tie down strips for hold-downs. I'll take some detailed pics tonight.
Land Cruiser 100 drawers, storage, fridge slide, camp stove Pretty good deal honestly

I made this simple setup out of 1/2" Maple Ply, with some cheap home depot Grey indoor/outdoor to cover it all. Then used an Exped Megamat Duo with a Teton Mammoth 0* bag. It was a killer setup in 25* nasty weather this past weekend. I used UHMW for my 38" drawer slides. It's a great way to save hundreds of dollars on drawer slides and have a smooth rattle free setup.

I made this simple setup out of 1/2" Maple Ply, with some cheap home depot Grey indoor/outdoor to cover it all. Then used an Exped Megamat Duo with a Teton Mammoth 0* bag. It was a killer setup in 25* nasty weather this past weekend. I used UHMW for my 38" drawer slides. It's a great way to save hundreds of dollars on drawer slides and have a smooth rattle free setup.

Those ExPed mats are amazing. We have two of the MegaMat 10's and wow, what a great nights sleep! I was eyeing the duo but the fridge location made the decision for me...

IMG_4320.JPG

I went with drawer slides, no regrets. The enjoyment of those super smooth Accuride's lasts a lot longer than the sting of the initial price. The UHMW (or Teflon) strips were a close second... I am interested to hear how they hold up over time. I don't have a pic of the drawer setup but here is the layout.
Drawers resized.jpg

Found this thread a week or so ago as I was planning my own road trip from SoCal to Colorado. Given the cold temps and plans to go solo, I thought it would be perfect to build some sort of platform that would allow me to travel and sleep inside of the Cruiser. With about $90 in wood from Lowes (not including the $15 12-pack from the market) my buddy and I built this platform to meet all my needs. Given more time — and ambition — I would probably mimic @TheAshenWolf build as the modular aspect really appeals to me.

At any rate, here's how my build turned out. Perfect sleeping platform for myself and my dog, while also leaving room for storage underneath, a 54qt cooler (or single seat) in the cavity and the ability to bear as much cargo weight as I would ever put on top:

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG

So... I'm trying to figure out a set up where I can have the following:
1. Fully functional 2nd Row seats when needed
2. Cargo drawers with cooking set up and tools at all times in the 3rd row/cargo space
3. 37, 50 or 63 QT fridge on tilt/slide or temporarily mounted in the single 2nd row seat space or mounted in the single space cargo area for when only a single sleeping space is needed in the trunk.
4. Sleeping space for 2 people in back

Has anyone done all 4? Sleeping, fridge, 2nd row? Could you time out the height of the sleeping platform with the 16" height of 37 or 63 qt ARB fridge and be able to have a flush sleeping surface and have the space for a fridge underneath in the passenger or driver side 2nd row void? Otherwise, it may be time to figure out that ol roof top tent and replace my roof cargo box...

I built one using scrap wood i had lying around. Pretty darn comfy once you throw a foam mattress and a mattress topper on top.

48022190486_6bd4807d2d_b.jpg

Spent 3 weeks living out of it for my cross country trip

48092111877_fb721b2422_b.jpg

2. Cargo drawers with cooking set up and tools at all times in the 3rd row/cargo space
3. 37, 50 or 63 QT fridge on tilt/slide or temporarily mounted in the single 2nd row seat space or mounted in the single space cargo area for when only a single sleeping space is needed in the trunk.

Has anyone done all 4? Sleeping, fridge, 2nd row? Could you time out the height of the sleeping platform with the 16" height of 37 or 63 qt ARB fridge and be able to have a flush sleeping surface and have the space for a fridge underneath in the passenger or driver side 2nd row void? Otherwise, it may be time to figure out that ol roof top tent and replace my roof cargo box...

If you're ok with the dometic 31 qt drawer fridge, the SS1 with Sleeper from Air Down Gear Up (ADGU) checks all your boxes and requires zero fabrication on your end, aside from bolting in the fridge. Check out my sig links.

I have an SS1 with one drawer. You could do the same and then put the fridge in the other side. That gives lots of room for cookware storage in the drawer and all your other misc stuff tucked under the hinged wings. If you ask me, the SS1 is the most convenient and comfortable sleeping platform out there. Perfectly flat with recessed hardware.

I don’t see a way with the fridge... I can’t imagine getting a fat platform with enough room for sleeping before it becomes cramped. If I were you I’d go big fridge and RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom