100 series sleeping setup? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built one for a buddy

IMG_1774.jpg

20190613_211604.jpg

I don’t see a way with the fridge... I can’t imagine getting a fat platform with enough room for sleeping before it becomes cramped. If I were you I’d go big fridge and RTT.
Good idea! I want the best of all worlds. There’s a way I think...

Seems like that dometic is a good little fridge! I generally don't care if the beer/water/drinks are in ice water by the end of the trip so maybe a small fridge and a small cooler is a good compromise for me? The installation drawing from Dometic for the Coolmatic CD 30s (Dometic Link) shows that you can mount the compressor remotely from the fridge. I could probably get the compressor into the space either in front of the wheel well behind the 2nd row or behind the wheel well on either side and have the dometic be the front part of a drawer system that could slide out and have storage behind the fridge... This could be fun. Does anyone know the height that you want to build the overall floor of the platform in the rear to line up with the top of the 2nd row seats? I could measure but...

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 8.41.46 AM.png

I am an architect so I appreciate the fabrication component of this project and always love making things and then seeing how they work in the field. Learned a lot from doing things that way. I really like the simplicity of the super strut from the SS1 platform and the folding option on piano hinges. I think that's probably the best way to do the supports for the platform and keep the weight down. Only thing I may want to mess with (And maybe one of you SS1 owners know a way to do this) is being able to remove the folding pieces of the sleeping platform with something like an interlocking hinge (Hinge Link). I use these on Fender Rhodes restorations and they are super beefy when in storage position (closed) and slip out and remove the piano's top when they open. I would like to be able to keep it out of the cargo area to have a flush surface back there whenever I'm not in camping mode. I built a 4runner platform storage system that just slid the whole top/extension out over the 2nd row seats and secured down with thumbscrews threaded into the lower platform when not in use. It's in my LC now and while it works okay want something that fits the width of the LC better and I want to get my fridge situation sorted.

Last edited:
I have used and do like those drawer fridges. 30 liter capacity for food, no drinks would work fine for 2-3 people. The compressor can be remote mounted but the line is copper "hard" line. So if mounting the compressor in your proposed location, storage behind the fridge could only be accessed from above or the front (behind 2nd row seat).... in other words, the fridge housing can't move independently from the compressor.

I asked about your lady's height because another alternative would be to use a Dometic CF50 fridge (or something with similar dimensions) and mount it sideways. It is about 14" wide. For reference, it can almost fit behind the 3rd row seat. It would need a bit of additional air space for the condenser though.

image-1339021270-jpg.787813

image-866323395-jpg.787814

I have used and do like those drawer fridges. 30 liter capacity for food, no drinks would work fine for 2-3 people. The compressor can be remote mounted but the line is copper "hard" line. So if mounting the compressor in your proposed location, storage behind the fridge could only be accessed from above or the front (behind 2nd row seat).... in other words, the fridge housing can't move independently from the compressor.

I asked about your lady's height because another alternative would be to use a Dometic CF50 fridge (or something with similar dimensions) and mount it sideways. It is about 14" wide. For reference, it can almost fit behind the 3rd row seat. It would need a bit of additional air space for the condenser though.

image-1339021270-jpg.787813

image-866323395-jpg.787814
Thanks for all of this awesome info. I think the drawer fridge may be my route. The sideways option seems a bit strange but maybe a very flexible route. You lose a drawer of storage but could work for a very short person (which my lady is...)

Or maybe I need to get my roof top tent and rack and just go big on the Fridge (ARB 63qt on a Alucab Tilt/Slide) inside the vehicle. Sleeping inside is nice but maybe the RTT is the way to go for me.

Actually, I was thinking the sideways fridge would still be on a drawer/slide. The back 1/2 could still be used for either tools or the kitchen.

That squiggly line in the drawing led me astray. Thanks for that info. If the compressor was mounted behind the dometic drawer style fridge in the bottom of a sliding drawer with an open face (allow the fridge to be opened without opening the drawer and the compressor vented to the passenger side wheel well area would that be enough airspace for the compressor? Does it have a directionality one way or another? or does the entire thing need room to "breath" on all side but the mounting side?

The CD-30 comes like this... it's the condenser (tubing and grates) part that needs the ventilation. You can see a fan sandwiched in there. The unit is designed to work tight spaces but ideally it would have cross ventilation. If you can't get cross ventilation, I'd probably suggest 3+" of dead space behind the condenser and a clear opening into the passenger side. Thinking of this fridge, given the condenser location, it might work better on the driver side. Or if used on the passenger side, to scoot the detachable components more towards the passenger side and not up against the wall/other drawer.

Image result for CD30 fridge

The component I don't like about the CD-30 is the temperature dial. Most modern fridges are set it and forget it. There is a temperature setting and also a readout of current temp. I "think" the temperature setting on the CD-30 is based on ambient temp... and so you are kinda fiddling with the temp control all the time. But don't quote me on that.

There is a larger 40L drawer fridge by Evacool that does have digital controls but it is not easily available in the US.

There is a larger 40L drawer fridge by Evacool that does have digital controls but it is not easily available in the US.
That 40L looks awesome. Their online portal doesn't allow a shipping location outside of Australia... I will just need to do work here and figure out what size makes the most sense for my plan. I'm trying to take some tips from others here (@cruiseroutfit) and plan everything before I start buying... I figured out suspension, armor, tires/wheels, fuel and now need food/drink, sleeping and electrical to be planned out.

I might have to jump in on this "pay for build" as I'm in Dana point. I need something similar.

What do u figure the rom build cost might be?

How about a meeting of the minds over Java to discuss?
Sounds like a good idea. Wood / screws and paint are around 100 to 130 depending on the build.

Cheap slides around 60 up to 100 just for the fridge.

Time is the hard part!

I prob spent about 10 to 15 hr getting everything as far as the photos.

Devils in the details.

Since I hardly ever haul more tha 3 persons, I'm thinking of removing the left 2nd row seat (larger of the split). Also removing 3rd row seats.

This will give me some decent space. Sleeping platform would occupy the wider left side, while right side would remain open with option to fold/deploy narrower 2nd row split seat.

I'd like to make it so I could sit on platform w some room for legs to extend somewhat into right vacant side.

Idea is to have an in vehicle platform available for quick deploy in case time/weather dictates, as usually use massive tent/vestibule for lodging.

My big obstacle is off-rig storage of removed seats (did I say my 60 occupies too much garage space:doh:).

@craaaazzy.. that looks very nice. A DIY write up would be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom