100 Series General Tech and Classifieds (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@namsag

Check out post #8

This anyone's 100 we know? Hope not...

1574804053392.png

Pfran leds are great quality. Loving them.

Pulled fenders finally. Got dark as I finished cleaning/ washing. Need to buff some more and paint one bad rub spot.

6F293D83-9EA1-4427-853C-BD64DE6A3A40.jpeg

39D758C3-9EA1-4A08-8433-E99AABD15D0E.jpeg

D46204F0-C250-4E9F-9E12-ABBABF411E41.jpeg

E471FC82-CA91-4F1D-88D8-C3D4E1E4D54E.jpeg

544997F5-268D-450E-818A-8D9E1AF4641D.jpeg

Left the stealership yesterday and wondered how difficult these few items are to tackle:
  • Power steering return line
  • Power steering supply line
  • Valve cover gasket
How many bananas am I looking at on each of these? Currently not likely inclined to do the gaskets myself.

What say you?

I’m in Charlotte these days so that would be tough. But they’ve been my go to guys for a few years now.

Hoses are easy. Would think valve cover should be too.

Threw a upper bank O2 code on the 2001 with 285,000 miles.

Figured I’d just change all 4.

RockAuto suggested this O2 wrench. Turned out to be a nice addition for the fronts for only $14

$200 all in for 4, wrench and Denso. Took about 30 minutes

While I had it up on the ramps I gave it a good Fluid Film bath.

C506141F-CAF0-480D-8250-4E66613FF02B.jpeg

4B633803-FD18-46C3-A098-7CE739D0B508.jpeg

182B7C2B-E18C-4A49-AB1B-5AE2CAB0D318.jpeg

9C1B6B43-A544-41DC-9737-7AB82BD742B8.jpeg

are there caps to put over the rear spoiler holes? currently sporting 4 ugly screws in that location.

are there caps to put over the rear spoiler holes? currently sporting 4 ugly screws in that location.

Did you remove yours? Or did it fly off on the highway? My wife’s flew off on the high way and I’m currently looking for one.

For the holes. I was planning on getting some buttton head Allen bolts and painting them black.

5B8A36C6-0902-4F77-8106-ECC305FD1F05.jpeg

Last edited:
Have any of y’all ever experienced a buzzing almost grinding noise from the front CV? Driver side, leaking gear oil, new CV. New flange. It was swapped by a local shop while I was having some other work done to it. Seems to be a somewhat slow leak due to the size of the puddle in my driveway. The first time they installed it, it was a huge leak. They “fixed it” and then the axle popped the C clip at the flange and the axle sucked in. They replaced the CV and now it’s kind of doing this buzzing and almost grinding thing and seems to be leaking a little oil.

I installed the passenger side and have no grinding/buzzing from it at all. No leaks either. Would the seal at the diff on the driver side cause this?

Edit: climbed under there. It’s not leaking gear oil. It’s either PS fluid or oil but that’s unrelated I think. The rumbling grinding is definitely coming the cv though

Last edited:
OEM Toyota CV? Is the front lifted?

Have any of y’all ever experienced a buzzing almost grinding noise from the front CV? Driver side, leaking gear oil, new CV. New flange. It was swapped by a local shop while I was having some other work done to it. Seems to be a somewhat slow leak due to the size of the puddle in my driveway. The first time they installed it, it was a huge leak. They “fixed it” and then the axle popped the C clip at the flange and the axle sucked in. They replaced the CV and now it’s kind of doing this buzzing and almost grinding thing and seems to be leaking a little oil.

I installed the passenger side and have no grinding/buzzing from it at all. No leaks either. Would the seal at the diff on the driver side cause this?

Edit: climbed under there. It’s not leaking gear oil. It’s either PS fluid or oil but that’s unrelated I think. The rumbling grinding is definitely coming the cv though

The noise is more than likely dry or damaged needle bearings/bronze washer pressed into the spindle. Could also be bad wheel bearings as well. You can find out by removing the LF drive flange and jacking the LF tire off the ground. With the drive flange removed tire will spin freely. If noise is still there the issue is wheel bearings, if the noise goes away it is spindle bearings/bronze bushing.

Fluid leak is more than likely the rack and pinion end seals. Replace the rack and pinion to correct.

Last edited:
OEM Toyota CV? Is the front lifted?

No lift, stock tires, aftermarket CVs :/ doesn’t see dirt ever. It’s her daily driver grocery getter.

The noise is more than likely dry or damaged needle bearings/bronze washer pressed into the spindle. Could also be bad wheel bearings as well. You can find out by removing the LF drive flange and jacking the LF tire off the ground. With the drive flange removed tire will spin freely. If noise is still there the issue is wheel bearings, if the noise goes away it is spindle bearings/bronze bushing.

Fluid leak is more than likely the rack and pinion end seals. Replace the rack and pinion to correct.

Perfect! I knew the steering rack is on its way out so that makes sense. I’ll get the wheel and flange off tomorrow to check it out. Who knows when the last time the wheel bearing was messed with. Unfortunately the grinding buzzing noise is pretty inconsistent when driving. I’m going to try and pinpoint when it does it while driving it tonight. Seems as though a bad bearing would be making the noise. Are these hubs similar to the solid axle hubs? Where the wheel bearing rides on the spindle and preload is set with a fish scale?

No lift, stock tires, aftermarket CVs :/ doesn’t see dirt ever. It’s her daily driver grocery getter.

Perfect! I knew the steering rack is on its way out so that makes sense. I’ll get the wheel and flange off tomorrow to check it out. Who knows when the last time the wheel bearing was messed with. Unfortunately the grinding buzzing noise is pretty inconsistent when driving. I’m going to try and pinpoint when it does it while driving it tonight. Seems as though a bad bearing would be making the noise. Are these hubs similar to the solid axle hubs? Where the wheel bearing rides on the spindle and preload is set with a fish scale?

Needle bearing/bronze washer can be inconsistent. Hubs are identical as far as removal/servicing but fish scale is for trunion bearings not wheel bearings.

Needle bearing/bronze washer can be inconsistent. Hubs are identical as far as removal/servicing but fish scale is for trunion bearings not wheel bearings.

Ah yeah might as well try and replace it all while I’m in there. Really appreciate the help rob

Use OEM Toyota CVs. The 100 is very particular with the CVs and plenty of guys on here have had issues with brand new aftermarket.

As part of an insurance claim, both of my fronts were replaced (but with aftermarket). I’ve had nothing but popping from the D/S ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom