100 Series General Tech and Classifieds (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy another Dodge. ✋🏻

Haha hate all you want. The dodge is pretty sweet! If Toyota had a truck that could tow over 10k with a locking solid axle I woulda been all over it! It’s like if an 80 series ate nothing but Big Macs for like 3 years and got a mullet.

Last edited:
Well VGRS sucks. Light came on yesterday, steering wheel has to be held 90* to the left to steer straight. The light was off after it sat overnight and the wheel was briefly normal again but problem came back quickly after just a short drove. Asked for help on 100 forum

the-vgrs-elf-came-and-left-again.1174200

but nobody touching it so I'm going down the hole alone. Trying to follow the FSM, has the potential to be a slow, expensive process. Dern I just got this thing this summer.

Well VGRS sucks. Light came on yesterday, steering wheel has to be held 90* to the left to steer straight. The light was off after it sat overnight and the wheel was briefly normal again but problem came back quickly after just a short drove. Asked for help on 100 forum

the-vgrs-elf-came-and-left-again.1174200

but nobody touching it so I'm going down the hole alone. Trying to follow the FSM, has the potential to be a slow, expensive process. Dern I just got this thing this summer.

Briefly read through your post and hope I will be able to answer a few questions for you.

Let me start off by saying the VGRS is one of those great ideas on paper but the way it’s designed it is flawed and can be down right unsafe. It has the capability to electronically disconnect the steering column from the rack and pinion leaving you without mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the tires. Problem is when you have module/system failure it will intermittently disconnect while driving leaving you with no way to steer. Have seen this occur on multiple occasions.

Now onto your issue. A steering angle reset isn’t going to help you as the wheel is 90* off. That code is there because it sees the wheel off center because it is in fact off center.

You can recenter the wheel using a professional scan tool to electronically disconnect the steering wheel from the rack. I have the best luck with Autel. Snap On scanners do not even recognize the VGRS system.

The VGRS actuator is made into the intermediate shaft that connects the steering column to the rack and pinion.

Unfortunately when they fail it is best to replace both the module and the actuator. Steer clear of salvage yard parts. Your issue maybe fixed but will return sooner than with new. Only way is to replace with new OEM and parts are very expensive. After replacement system will have to be relearned/programmed in order to function.

Thanks man. Well I will have to study up on that actuator replacement, I may be out of my depth there. May have to find someone to do it. This sucks.

If anybody is looking. 05' with 210k for $5k.... In Louisiana

@offr0adlim0 can the portion that actually disconnects be permanently attached so as to prevent such issues, or does that bring up more issues if you try to circumvent. I don't even know what VGRS stands for, nor have I ever been under the hood of a 100, but I am curious as to how such a potential safety issue could be more permanently resolved.

@offr0adlim0 can the portion that actually disconnects be permanently attached so as to prevent such issues, or does that bring up more issues if you try to circumvent. I don't even know what VGRS stands for, nor have I ever been under the hood of a 100, but I am curious as to how such a potential safety issue could be more permanently resolved.

Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)
The only way I can see you could do away with it would be to remove the intermediate shaft containing the actuator and cut the joint ends off and weld a solid piece in place of the actuator and throw the actuator in the garbage. I’m sure it will piss off a few other systems by doing this but at least you have a solid link between the driver and the front tires.

Does anyone know what the electrical resistance for the coil on plugs should be? Tracking down a studder at low rpm at idle and acceleration when cold that feels like a spark plug miss. No CEL. I just replaced the spark plugs 2 weeks ago with Denso. Thinking it could be one of my coils. I dont have an OBD2 to diagnose which cyl is potentially misfirng so I figure i could check the resistance on the coils.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to figure out which coil is misfiring if there is no CEL or if you dont have a scenner?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the electrical resistance for the coil on plugs should be? Tracking down a studder at low rpm at idle and acceleration when cold that feels like a spark plug miss. No CEL. I just replaced the spark plugs 2 weeks ago with Denso. Thinking it could be one of my coils. I dont have an OBD2 to diagnose which cyl is potentially misfirng so I figure i could check the resistance on the coils.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to figure out which coil is misfiring if there is no CEL or if you dont have a scenner?

Take the coil off the plug and stick your pinky in the end of the boot, have someone start the truck while you are licking the Negative battery post. Have to do it 8 times for each coil and report back your findings.

It’s impossible to diagnose without being able to monitor unless it’s a bad miss.

Well this VGRS thing is catastrophic. $4300 for actuator and ECU. Been studying the FSM, I think this is over my head. A man's got to know his limitations. Does anyone have a rec for somebody to do the work? I got Lexus of Memphis down the road but it will probably be almost $10,000 over there. Help! ☹

Well this VGRS thing is catastrophic. $4300 for actuator and ECU. Been studying the FSM, I think this is over my head. A man's got to know his limitations. Does anyone have a rec for somebody to do the work? I got Lexus of Memphis down the road but it will probably be almost $10,000 over there. Help! ☹

I’m south of you in Richland, MS at 49 Tire if you don’t mind the drive.

Buy a new truck and part that one out?

If it were mine I’d weld in a solid rod before doing that. It’s fixable it’s just expensive.

Updating my wife’s ride. The reverse camera brought the suck. Door speakers are next. And coils whenever they get here

2B8F2BE1-4BBA-40D5-BBFB-815110CE302D.jpeg

@dbbowen What ever happened with the drive line clunk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom