100 Caught fire & gas tank venting concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live in WNC just above Atlanta, my house is at 2,200ft. When I used to commute daily to Atlanta (2 hours) i would hear a kind of boiling sound from the truck if the tank was full. I always chaulked it up to parking at an upward angle. However, I suppose that last 800' rise in the last mile might be a factor.

I wonder if there are mods worth having before you go on a trip at altitude?
this happened to me today
full tank
5000 ft

the gasfalls

Both of you what was the outside temperature? High temps can contribute to the issue.

Don't mean to hijack the thread--but where are you all getting fuel temps from? I'm using OBDLink MX+ (which gets me all sorts of vehicle specific data, including AHC pressures, transmission temps), but I don't see fuel temp anywhere in that list. Did you create a custom gauge?

I'm curious as well, I don't have any of those gauges in my ODB Fusion app.

I am in page 5 of this thread but skipping ahead to post here. I have an 06 LX which I bought 2 months ago. This is the first extended road trip of more than 100 miles continuous. I have wheeled the car at approximately 4 to 6k elevation in Temps up to 100 deg no venting issue noted. Prior to this trip to bishop I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and gas cap with oem-the pump is a denso. I replaced thr pump this past week as PM and the truck fired right up. I did not replace fuel sock.

This past weekend I drove from San Diego(sea level) to Bishop approximately 7k elevation. This is about a 6 hour drive the outside temperature was about 90 to 108 degrees for most of the dive. I refueled twice, I am not sure of ethanol content. The most recent refueling was at about 4k feet approximately I filled the tank but did not "too off" beyond thr gas station auto shut off. We stopped at a friend's house at about 6k feet with no noticeable fuel smell. We then climbed another 1k or less to about 7k feet,this portion was mostly off road but speeds in the 20s with a few slow downs for obstacles.

I backed the car into parking spot shut off engine and noticed fuel smell. I looked at fuel tank door and saw visible vapors coming from fuel door. Here is a video link below. When the cap was shut vapors were still coming out. I opened the cap and thr fuel sounded like it was boiling. It took about 15 minutes to stop. The gas tank was approximately 3/4 full at this time.

When I bought the car the PO had maintenance records from Lexus. A cel threw 5 evap codes in March 2020. Per lexus tech: "isolated failure of leak detection pump. Tech recommends replace leak detection pump with vsv and related hoses" There was no cel when I bought it July 2020. I had the following codes come on in my ownership(p0441&p0445 gross leak and incorrect purge flow) I replaced fuel cap with oem and cleared the codes and the codes have not come back at all - it has been approximately 5 weeks.

Fuel door video-i have another showing fuel vapor with fuel door closed prior to opening it but don't think it's helpful.

This is all the details I can think of - maybe I should bite bullet and replace evap system as diagnosed?

I am in page 5 of this thread but skipping ahead to post here. I have an 06 LX which I bought 2 months ago. This is the first extended road trip of more than 100 miles continuous. I have wheeled the car at approximately 4 to 6k elevation in Temps up to 100 deg no venting issue noted. Prior to this trip to bishop I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and gas cap with oem-the pump is a denso. I replaced thr pump this past week as PM and the truck fired right up. I did not replace fuel sock.

This past weekend I drove from San Diego(sea level) to Bishop approximately 7k elevation. This is about a 6 hour drive the outside temperature was about 90 to 108 degrees for most of the dive. I refueled twice, I am not sure of ethanol content. The most recent refueling was at about 4k feet approximately I filled the tank but did not "too off" beyond thr gas station auto shut off. We stopped at a friend's house at about 6k feet with no noticeable fuel smell. We then climbed another 1k or less to about 7k feet,this portion was mostly off road but speeds in the 20s with a few slow downs for obstacles.

I backed the car into parking spot shut off engine and noticed fuel smell. I looked at fuel tank door and saw visible vapors coming from fuel door. Here is a video link below. When the cap was shut vapors were still coming out. I opened the cap and thr fuel sounded like it was boiling. It took about 15 minutes to stop. The gas tank was approximately 3/4 full at this time.

When I bought the car the PO had maintenance records from Lexus. A cel threw 5 evap codes in March 2020. Per lexus tech: "isolated failure of leak detection pump. Tech recommends replace leak detection pump with vsv and related hoses" There was no cel when I bought it July 2020. I had the following codes come on in my ownership(p0441&p0445 gross leak and incorrect purge flow) I replaced fuel cap with oem and cleared the codes and the codes have not come back at all - it has been approximately 5 weeks.

Fuel door video-i have another showing fuel vapor with fuel door closed prior to opening it but don't think it's helpful.

This is all the details I can think of - maybe I should bite bullet and replace evap system as diagnosed?

I’m from San Diego as well and frequent bishop as well. I never had issues getting there but I did have gas issues when I went up silver canyon. I posted this a few yrs ago. I had my charcoal canister replaced and haven’t had an problems since. I towed an off-road trailer to bishop then up to coyote no problems. I have since put up a heat shield.

I’m from San Diego as well and frequent bishop as well. I never had issues getting there but I did have gas issues when I went up silver canyon. I posted this a few yrs ago. I had my charcoal canister replaced and haven’t had an problems since. I towed an off-road trailer to bishop then up to coyote no problems. I have since put up a heat shield.

Was it solved by changing the canister or the heat shield.

Was it solved by changing the canister or the heat shield.
The charcoal canister was replaced first. It was found to be “flooded with gas.” I went several trips to bishop and surrounding trails after with no issues. I did the heat shielding last yr for added prevention. I don’t know if it is just a charcoal canister issue. I feel it is more a design flaw of compounding factors.

The charcoal canister was replaced first. It was found to be “flooded with gas.” I went several trips to bishop and surrounding trails after with no issues. I did the heat shielding last yr for added prevention. I don’t know if it is just a charcoal canister issue. I feel it is more a design flaw of compounding factors.
What year is your 100? Also did you do vsv switches? I think they are included with earlier year 100s.

What year is your 100? Also did you do vsv switches? I think they are included with earlier year 100s.
It’s posted on my signature-05 lx 470. I’m not familiar with the vsv switch. Only did what I mentioned.

Sorry I think I was on mobile phone and didn't rotate. The vacuum switching valve in the engine bay- I am hoping to replace that in the hopes that it may not be operating properly- some say it tests ok but will stay open or shut from what I read in these threads. My part # for 06 is 25860-50100 but it's probably different for 05 w/out vvt I am just guessing. Happy to hear your rig is running well. I feel like this is an issue that would occur intermittently, and I won't often be wheeling the truck in 100 deg. days but want to limit the chances it will happen just in case. Coming back down from Bishop temps were hotter, hitting 113 mostly ~105 on freeway driving with some stops at a drive through and no fuel smell or vapors( i was checking often from side mirror when stoped)

Experiencing the issue now at a trail system in NC. Probably only 800 ft above sea level. Started smelling gas on the trail and hearing some strange noises .. I slowly opened the cap and its been venting for over 5 min right now.

99 LX with 195k miles

I filled up and drove hwy for about an hour and a half to the trails. Came from sea level to about 500 to 800 ft and about 80 degree Temps. Lots of slow driving in low range. Pretty scary. I'm venting it slowly with the truck off standing about 20 ft away now.

Experiencing the issue now at a trail system in NC. Probably only 800 ft above sea level. Started smelling gas on the trail and hearing some strange noises .. I slowly opened the cap and its been venting for over 5 min right now.

99 LX with 195k miles

I filled up and drove hwy for about an hour and a half to the trails. Came from sea level to about 500 to 800 ft and about 80 degree Temps. Lots of slow driving in low range. Pretty scary. I'm venting it slowly with the truck off standing about 20 ft away now.

That's odd for it to happen at such low altitude. How hot was it outside? Do you know what your coolant temp was at by chance?

That's odd for it to happen at such low altitude. How hot was it outside? Do you know what your coolant temp was at by chance?
Probably 85 F. Don't know what coolant temp was since I don't have a scangauge.

I've noticed pressure when I fill up but nothing like this before. I checked once I got off the trail and it was fine. This is probably the longest distance I've ever run continuously in 4 low .

Ok, I think I've made some progress. My buddy who is a Mercedes mechanic chatted with his Toyota mechanic buddy. Even though he had never seen this happen in an LC he thought that the reason could be a weak fuel pump. His reasoning was that a weak fuel pump could essentially be heating up the fuel in the tank because its working extra hard to keep up with demand. Sounded reasonable enough. So I decided to give it a shot. This proved to be somewhat difficult initially because Napa Auto, Autozone, and Advanced auto had a different fuel pump in their system that didn't fit my 2007. I ended up getting one at my Toyota dealership. It was very pricey. Somewhere around $400 after I pissed and moaned at the parts counter. You can find them cheaper, but I was desperate. I was heading out to pick up my new off-road trailer and I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road. I got it installed relatively quickly and on the road the next day.

Let me start by saying "it is hot as balls" in Vegas right now. I have gone through Utah many times at this time of the year and I know that if I stop in St George Ut or Cedar City with the old pump I would be stuck until the fuel stops venting. I left the house around 10:30 am and it was already 100 degrees. I planned on stopping in St George just to test the new pump. I stopped, shut the rig off, and turned it back on. It started right back up and there was no fuel venting from the filler. Pretty cool. I also noticed that my fuel mileage was significantly better. If I get above 12mpg on that drive I'm happy. This trip I was at 13.5 mpg for most of the drive up to Cedar City. Also pretty cool. Since I took it kind of easy on the first stretch (70 mph) I decided to push it on the second leg. I tried to keep it around 80 mph the whole way. When I pulled into Parowan (just past Cedar city) I did the same as before and much to my delight the rig started right back up and there was no venting. I headed up the hill to Brianhead that sits at about 9000ft and met up with the family. I noticed some slight venting but no problem starting back up. still good news. I did fuel up in Parowan.

I left the next day to get my trailer in SLC. The entire 4 hour drive to SLC was around the mid 90's. I got to my stop and still no issue.

The only issue I had was when I towed my new trailer up to my camp spot on Monroe Mountain. Pulling my trailer up the mountain in 4 Low got everything heated up pretty good. I got to buy spot and could hear the fuel venting in my tank and it was angry. I shut the rig down and started it back up. There was only a slight hesitation when starting and I mean very slight and the rig started right up. This would have never happened with the old pump. I'm going to say at this point my problem has been solved. I'll still be keeping an eye on it, but this has been huge for me. Now I need to get back to replacing my radiator that blew up on me as I left Mesquite.

I hope this helps. I couldn't wait to get on here and hopefully help you guys out. I know how frustrating this problem can be.

Please, If you change your fuel pump out and it helps then pop back in here and let us know.

-Cal

I also live in Las Vegas. Many pages ago replaced the following in my 2006 LC:
- charcoal/vapor canister $615
- fuel pump $400
- Replace gas cap $32
- fuel filter $38
Gas boil still happens for me at elevation and/or high heat. I have not had the full shutdown of the rig since doing the above. Ethanol gas has helped but I still get boil. I will be following J1000’s top suggestions on heat protecting key areas.

I also live in Las Vegas. Many pages ago replaced the following in my 2006 LC:
- charcoal/vapor canister $615
- fuel pump $400
- Replace gas cap $32
- fuel filter $38
Gas boil still happens for me at elevation and/or high heat. I have not had the full shutdown of the rig since doing the above. Ethanol gas has helped but I still get boil. I will be following J1000’s top suggestions on heat protecting key areas.
I may have jumped the gun on the “problem solved”

drove around yesterday to run a bunch of errands and get some new shoes on the 100 and was unable to start my rig because of venting fuel again. So, back to the drawing board.

I may have jumped the gun on the “problem solved”

drove around yesterday to run a bunch of errands and get some new shoes on the 100 and was unable to start my rig because of venting fuel again. So, back to the drawing board.
To clarify, did the vehicle fail to catch, but cranked ok? Or did you not attempt starting it because you heard venting? Is the venting just audible, or can you see fuel spraying out with the gas cap on?

To clarify, did the vehicle fail to catch, but cranked ok? Or did you not attempt starting it because you heard venting? Is the venting just audible, or can you see fuel spraying out with the gas cap on?
Yeah it cranked fine but failed to catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom