10 years with the 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

video be better, she's a fire breather. and in Pa we only have one plate, none of that front plate nonsense.
i'll need to do something with air pressure. so far there are only a few hundred miles on them. the old header blew out awhile ago and i'm only now getting around to do something about it.

Video! :popcorn:

Lucky not having to keep up with a front plate. I end up smashing mine off road cause I'm too lazy to take it off lol.

I'd suspect that you're gonna need to drop down to 30-35psi in those AT's to get better ride/ wear. Airing up for better gas mileage is silly with a fire breathing tractor.

i didn't want to heat it back up then have to work on the exhaust. so no video of it running open headers......but i did video the 40 in the same condition a few years ago. same header, same carb, same jets, close enough intake.

recently scored a pile of fresh red, that should take care of some extra brown that has been taking over the front doors.
i've been driving it more the last few weeks since the '75 is parked for the winter. i always seem to forget how nice it is to drive. it had some high speed vibrations, that were due to the old 9.50s being out of balance....since taken care of by the new rubber. i'm starting to give serious thought to treating it to a fresher frame.

extra doors.jpg

so i stumbled into something i couldn't pass up....and sorta kinda needed.
not sure what the time frame is yet. it is a 62 frame so i do need to do cross member work. but it's clean and straight.

frame16.jpg

frame16B.jpg

frame16C.jpg

When using a 62 frame under a 60 body, you will need to change the transmission mount cross member and the bushings at the top of the rear shocks. And possibly use 3F engine mounts. Everything else should be the same. Joe_E did this in his spectacular build thread.

If you have the shorter H42F transmission, now would be the perfect time to swap to the longer one or an H55F.

trans are the same length, it's a spacer between the trans and transfer that makes the different lengths.

The auto transmission cross member is approximately 5 1/2" farther aft than the manual H42 with the spacer. It's almost perfect as is for adding a Marlin Toybox. :D :worms:

I've procastinated long enough.
Actually cleaned up the garage enough to get the frame indoors.
The plan is to start the heavy work in the late spring...maybe earlier if it turns out to be a mild winter.

20181225_143126.jpg

:popcorn:

Man, nice score. So fromback whenyou first posted the photos of your frame how’d you manage? Did you patch, did you look the other way and not drive it hard? I’m in a similar boat after pulling my old springs off and getting really upclose and personal w/ the hangers, etc I see now I’ve got some big work that I need to tend to. I will say after the couple of trail meets I did last Feb and March, those rusty frames can take some hardcore abuse but it’s the fuel and brake lines that will give up first, that I totally understand and that’s what worries me most.
I’ll be watching.

I have patched it a few times....nothing recently.
I'll post pic of it when off...but it's bad.
For the driving I do with it, it's fine. One decent trip off road would probably finish it....most of the inner portion of the frame rails is gone.
Probably not doing anything fancy to it, just some cleaning up of the little bit of surface rust and then a healthy coat of black paint.

Still stoked that I was able to locate this local...it is really in as good a shape as what it looks.

I have patched it a few times....nothing recently.
I'll post pic of it when off...but it's bad.
For the driving I do with it, it's fine. One decent trip off road would probably finish it....most of the inner portion of the frame rails is gone.
Probably not doing anything fancy to it, just some cleaning up of the little bit of surface rust and then a healthy coat of black paint.

Still stoked that I was able to locate this local...it is really in as good a shape as what it looks.
Yeah I agree. PA is still basically in the rust belt I imagine. Do you know Gary Smuckster.... something or other? He’s in PA and in the Yankee Toys club which is the only real local club around here that includes Maine, VT, NH, Mass, and CT.

yeah hes about an hour north of me, and actually put me on this frame. he's in the local club as well, but they're in off roading, but thats not my thing.
iirc it was a western cruiser brought east, not sure of the reason for the partout...

The auto transmission cross member is approximately 5 1/2" farther aft than the manual H42 with the spacer. It's almost perfect as is for adding a Marlin Toybox. :D :worms:

Turns out it's more like 15 inches.

a week or so ago marks a decade that i've had my red wagon.
the evening it showed up. blown out shocks and broken leaves in 3/4 of the worn out packs, clutch ready to crap the bed, nothing in smog systems working, but still there, broken belts in the front tires and the list went on.....some of the best 1700 ever spent. we drove it home the 20 or so miles without fear, and it has never let me down...ever since.
View attachment 669934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom