10/73 FJ40 Dual Piston Master Cylinder Brake Line Routing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I am working on a truck that I received in boxes. This is my first go round with the FJs.

I have a new master cylinder, the dual piston model with dual reservoirs. I also have new hard line kit.

The hard lines could hookup either way. Do the rear brakes engage first or the fronts?

I guess the simpler question would be does the front hook up to the port closer to the front of the vehicle or the rear?

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

The hard lines only hook up one way. It is not a matter of one initiating before the other, it is related more to pressure difference front to rear. Front hooks up to the front, rear to the rear.

The hard lines only hook up one way. It is not a matter of one initiating before the other, it is related more to pressure difference front to rear. Front hooks up to the front, rear to the rear.
Thank you for the input on this!

You could hook them up backwards. When bench bleeding the master it appeared like the front piston only moved fluid well after the rear port was moving fluid meaning your front brakes would only start to initiate when your at 1/2 to 3/4 brake pedal stroke.

Which seems goofy to me, but this is only one of many things that seem goofy on these vehicles. It appears Toyota was still trying to figure things out when they were in production. I tried to talk the customer into converting to disc brakes but my attempts fell on deaf ears.

Ryan

Where are you at in MT?

Feel free to shoot a pm.

There's a residual pressure valve in the MC that may need removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom