4Runner Lineage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
What made the first gen different from 2nd, 2nd from 3rd etc.?

What years for each generation?

1st gen 84-89 removable top, solid axle for 84-85, 22R in 84 only, 22RE starting in 85 and 3.0 3VZE starting in 88.

2ndgen 90-95 22RE and 3VZE solid one piece body

3rd gen 96-02 2.7L 4 cylinder and 3.4L V6 available factory rear locker.

4th gen 03-...

Last edited:
Rusty, couple important points if you're thinking what I think you're thinking:

Gen 1 and Gen 2 are easy to SAS should you ever desire. In stock form the IFS has very limited wheel travel. But it does have the durable pitman arm steering box setup. 33" tires are about max tire size. The 22RE is great engine, but underpowered for a rig of this weight. The 3VZE's have a reputation for being gas hogs, gutless and blowing head gaskets. Mine has decent power but terrible mileage. The later 3.4 V-6 can be retrofitted with some work, direct swap to the motor mounts and bellhousing. This is probably what I will do when the day comes. The rear door is a tailgate with a window that drops into the gate.

The 3rd generation has the 3.4 liter V-6, a great engine. But it also has rack and pinion steering which I've heard is not as durable as the pitman arm/box. Not sure on the suspension if it's coil over or torsion bar (2nd gen is torsion bar). 3rd gen also have a rear hatch only, no tailgate split.

If you plan to do expedition type wheeling only (which makes sense since you have the built 40) I would probably go with a 3rd Gen runner with the 3.4 V-6. I would cheak around though on lift kits before buying to make sure. Great bang for the buck in these rigs.

You see right through me CD.;)
Yes I am still exploring options for something to replace my Land Yacht full size truck.
IFS is what I would prefer for this rig since the type of driving would a lot of fairly smooth or washboard dirt roads with a few washouts or steep hills. Also a lot of pavement between.
Nevada is big, real big. So something that gets good milage would be desired, but good milage is relative. Remember I'm coming from my FJ40 and a full size GMC with a 454. To me anything around or over 20 MPG is great milage.

I'm not really considering the extended cab Taco because I think the rear seat would be a little tight for Jake the wonder puddle. :)

rusty_tlc said:
You see right through me CD.;)
Yes I am still exploring options for something to replace my Land Yacht full size truck.
IFS is what I would prefer for this rig since the type of driving would a lot of fairly smooth or washboard dirt roads with a few washouts or steep hills. Also a lot of pavement between.
Nevada is big, real big. So something that gets good milage would be desired, but good milage is relative. Remember I'm coming from my FJ40 and a full size GMC with a 454. To me anything around or over 20 MPG is great milage.

I'm not really considering the extended cab Taco because I think the rear seat would be a little tight for Jake the wonder puddle. :)

My '91 gets 15 on a good day. I have no idea why, but for some reason these 3 liter v-6's regularly report 13-16 mpg. The 3.4 does better. :confused:

Cube Dweller said:
Not sure on the suspension if it's coil over or torsion bar (2nd gen is torsion bar).

3rd Gens have front coil overs.

Cube Dweller said:
I would cheak around though on lift kits before buying to make sure. Great bang for the buck in these rigs.

Rusty,

The OME suspension works great on the 3rd gens. This was in fact developed originally by the Prado in Oz. I installed it on my Prado and am very happy with it so far. As with all OME kits, It's a simple, bolt-on system with all the pieces needed. (check Slee) You can get fancier by combining high-end rebuildable coilovers, tundra coils, bilstein, etc. Check Sonoran Steel for what I think is called "The Ultimate lift" if I remember correctly. I've seen people also use 80 series front coils on the rear of 4runners and they all seem to be happy with it.

ok ok sorry, didnt mean to make this a boring read, but all in all, you have many options to lift a 3rd gen.

Third gen sounds like it would be the right choice. :)princess: really dosen't want another "classic" vehicle parked in front of the house. :rolleyes: )
I would probably be looking at '00 or newer, any ideas on pricing?

TEPUI, don't apoligize, your post was interesting to at least one reader. I'm sure others will appreciated the info to.

rusty_tlc said:
Third gen sounds like it would be the right choice. :)princess: really dosen't want another "classic" vehicle parked in front of the house. :rolleyes: )
I would probably be looking at '00 or newer, any ideas on pricing?

TEPUI, don't apoligize, your post was interesting to at least one reader. I'm sure others will appreciated the info to.

Yep, all good info that will be linked in the FAQ.

The truck/runner section is growing :)

Cube Dweller said:
Yep, all good info that will be linked in the FAQ.

The truck/runner section is growing :)

i just contributed some intake manifold and timing cover pics. maybe that is FAQ worthy (?)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

39_3.JPG

3rd Generation....... :grinpimp:

Most important ...

Gen1 and gen2 have a tailgate! The rest have a worthless liftgate.

In addition, gen1 was only offered in a 2 door model. Gen2 was offered in both 2 door (rare) and a 4 door (common).

Rusty, what about a 4-door Taco? I was actually considering selling my '84 Runner, and '84 FJ60 and grabbing one of these for more expedition type wheeling with my girls.

But then I took the FJ60 up a trail I have been on with 40s, the 60, and minis and remembered why I like the 60 ;)

I was thinking, tailgate, open bed, four doors, probably lighter than a 4Runner, you could put a topper on if you needed to, or even a roof rack over the cab. Thats what I was thinking...

But like I said, I kind of dig the heaviness of the 60 and that big as 2F chugging away.

stinkyfj60 said:
Rusty, what about a 4-door Taco?

My next truck purchase, assuming there will be one, will be a 4-door Taco, early generation. A buddy has one and I really like. Of course I'll keep the 4Runner.

Last edited:
stinkyfj60 said:
Rusty, what about a 4-door Taco? I was actually considering selling my '84 Runner, and '84 FJ60 and grabbing one of these for more expedition type wheeling with my girls.

But then I took the FJ60 up a trail I have been on with 40s, the 60, and minis and remembered why I like the 60 ;)
$$$$$
Trying to keep my debt to income ratio down.
We haven't had a car payment since 1998.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom