Which CB Antenna And Where To Mount.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd put this one out to the troops: which CB antenna, a Firestik II FS or a Wilson Silver Tip? The respective marketing hype both claim superiority and from what I can gather, either would probably be a very good choice. Any favorites out there?

Also, roof mounting is not an option so I am currently eyeing either the front bumper or maybe on the swing away tire carrier on the Kaymar rear bumper, mounting it on the flanges where the auxillary work light would typically mount.
Any preferences as far as performance is concerned?

Finding a good resource for this info short of Firestik's website is like going on a snipe hunt.....:doh:

Thanks for the input,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

dogboy2;
Here's some ideas that might help.

ttp://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/RigProj/page18.html

This isn't a CB set up, but might give some pointers on grounding wrt a swing arm system.The advantage of the rear mounting is staying away from the RF (Radio Frequency) noise generated by the engine. However, if u have the ARB front bumper , U could mount the antenna there and give it a try.

Any of the commercial antennas are probably ok for CB use.

Do a thorough search in the "Outfitting" section; there is some discussion of this.

thanks for the input..... I'll search again and see if I have better luck the second time around

-db-

GET THE WILSON.............. NO FIRESTIK:ban:

CHEERS .....:beer: :beer:

Love my wilson....

Keep in mind... no matter what the brand and no matter what sort of claims they make... Their antenna is still merely striving to match the performance of an 8 foot stainless steel whip. And NEVER quite doing it.

Mark...

I have owned Wilson antennas for years. They have a much better reputation with Truckers than Firestik. When it comes to CBs and antennas for them, I usually get on a CB and talk to the local truckers around the many truck stops in San Antonio.

:beer:

CB Antenna

I use Firestick but I'm not entirely happy with them and plan on switching to Wilson. Here is a pic of my dual antenna setup.
78FJ40 14.jpg
78FJ40 16.jpg

bsevans said:
I use Firestick but I'm not entirely happy with them and plan on switching to Wilson. Here is a pic of my dual antenna setup.

got any close-ups of your mounting?

Those look good.

Rezarf <><

Antenna Mounts

REZARF said:
got any close-ups of your mounting?

Those look good.

Rezarf <><
Here are some antenna mount pictures
Antenna Mount 02.jpg
Antenna Mount 03.jpg

wilson all the way,,, and i personally run a trucker 5000.

bsevens is your system set up to run duals? i think its a waste myself, unless you spend most of your time on the hiway and like to project for/aft.

Thanks for the pics, how big a hole do you have to cut to get that thing in there?

I like how clean it looks installed.

Rezarf <><

bsevans-
I like the finish on your hinges, and the new hardware. It looks very crisp.

I'm hoping to get a 3 foot flexible, tunable Wilson to go on the ARB bull bar. I will probably add a spring mount too so that the height is slightly above my roof rack. I would like to go higher, but I have to fit in a parking garage at work during the week.

Paint & Hardware

Scoot Jockey said:
bsevans-
I like the finish on your hinges, and the new hardware. It looks very crisp.

I'm hoping to get a 3 foot flexible, tunable Wilson to go on the ARB bull bar. I will probably add a spring mount too so that the height is slightly above my roof rack. I would like to go higher, but I have to fit in a parking garage at work during the week.
All the hardware I removed is replaced with Stainless Steel H/W. The paint you refer to is the result of sandblasting and powder coating with Cardinal Black Hammer. This particular powder coat finish is the toughest I've come across, very durable and can take a serious hit. It will not chip. I've taken a 4lbs sledge and a 2x4 against the mounting frame for the winch and beat on it till it was aligned for the mounting bolts. Not one scratch in the finish. All it did was dull the surface finish. In the attached photo, if you look closely at the winch right side mounting frame at the back you can see where the 2x4 split and slide over the top when I hit it with the sledge. Every thing black on this vehicle has been blasted and powder coated alike. The exceptions are on the list to be removed and done (sliders). When I get a moment, I will replace this photo with a closeup giving you far better detail.
78FJ40 15.jpg

Last edited:
You've got a great looking 40 there. I hope mine looks as good someday. It's on my list, to restore that is.

What I need first is a brand new wiring harness. I looked around years ago, but never found anyone who had a direct replacement for it. I also have a 78 FJ-40.

TexasBadlands said:
You've got a great looking 40 there. I hope mine looks as good someday. It's on my list, to restore that is.

What I need first is a brand new wiring harness. I looked around years ago, but never found anyone who had a direct replacement for it. I also have a 78 FJ-40.

Centech Wiring will build any harness you want. I replaced the factory fuse panel with their unit and really like it. It takes far less space than the painless unit and it has a stainless steel cover. The wire they supply is top of the line for automotive wire. I don't think anyone wants to bear the cost of a wiring harness made up of PTFE insulated wire (pricey). If you would like a photo of the fuse panel installed just let me know.

CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik has some good info on CB's and selection as well...plus a $100 package that include all you need to install, including a SWR meter....

I've had both Wilson and Firestik antennas and have no complaints with either....the newer 'lightweight flex' ones are nice since they are less likely to break.

I have a Firestik 4" fiberglass, and a Wilson 4" fiberglass. Maybe the Firestick has seen too many trees, but I can't tune this antenna. 2:1 is the best I can do. I can get the Wilson to at least 1.5:1 and once I shorten the cable wound up under the seat I should be able to better that. In addition, the Wilson has a ground wire that I haven't tried yet to bring down the SWR. Next time.

Woody referenced Right Channel Radio. I recently bought a new radio/antenna from them. The purchase was easy and the price was right. Their flat shipping was good too.

I have a Sharman KA-27/AT-1 base loaded mounted on my bull bar with the base at the same level as the hood. Actually used an exhaust mount to mount the bracket to the hoop. It works well and doesn't spring too much compared to a Stinger type aerial but springs enough to protect it from damage.

Mounted where it is surprisingly got a pretty good SWR without much tuning on it - just had to compensate for the quick release on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom