Largest tire on a stock wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BFG still makes the 33x10.50 MT, but I'm getting a lot of opinions about the safety of mounting that tire on a 5.5" wide rim. My cruiser sees less than 5K miles a year. What exactly is the danger?
Can't find no 9.50's

Ed

10.5 IMOP is just a wee bit wide. its gonna wear funny and what I found with a 10.5 on a 6" wheel is that it drifted more than I liked.

9.5 IMOP is as wide as I would go.

BFG makes the AT in 33x9.5

Kelly maybe, Big-O yes(more MT than AT) Avon.

No more than you drive, the 10.50 will be fine. I ran TSL radials in a 33x10.50 and loved them. They're narrower than most 10.50's though. It's real close to other 33x9.50's.

Chef runs Q78's on stock wheels on his trail rig. Those are around 36x11 or so.

I love my 33x10.5 MTs on myDD (on stock discbrake-wheels)...really glad I didn't go with 9.5 :D

manny
my40-1.jpg
my40-3.jpg
my40-2.jpg

MrManny, those are nice looking. What brand are they and do you get any wandering like 'Pimp described?

Thanks,

Ed

BFG MT's
Drive 40miles everyday, and only experience wandering when it's really blowing in the BAY and I'm crossing the bridge w/the hardtop on :D

I also searched for the same information, when I was looking for my 33's.
I made my decision, when I read an article on a sweet 55 in an older TT.
He was running 10.5's on his stockers and loved them.

I am running the later disc-brake stock rims (non-rivet type)...don't know If it makes a difference.

When I did my SR, I replaced all TRE's...make sure your suspension is in good shape and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I've seen you guy's mention that 33-9.5's fit on a stock suspension, but will 33-10.5's while I like my AT 's on my truck I would like something a little more aggressive for the cruiser. I currently have 31-10.5's on 8" wheels, but I could probably get some narrower wheels if it would help.

38 x 11.50 x 15's

I'm running 33x10.50 boggers on the stock rim on my 68, putting 250 miles per week on them.

I run 35 psi on the hwy. Watch the air pressure closely and they do fine. Just make sure and rotate often.

I get a little rub on the tie rod end at full lock, but otherwise clearance fine.

Last edited:
I need to measure my rim width. I have some aftermarket rims. I am leaning towards the 33"s BFG MTs. Where would be a cheap please to buy?

My 30" tires with ? width.
DSC01443.jpg

Last edited:
WES1977,
usually local shops will match tirerack.com's prices...my local big0 does.
Last time I checked, they where around $144.00

MOfj40,
the color of your truck is one of my favorites on the board...nicely done.

mr_manny said:
WES1977,
usually local shops will match tirerack.com's prices...my local big0 does.
Last time I checked, they where around $144.00

MOfj40,
the color of your truck is one of my favorites on the board...nicely done.

wow that's cheaper than sam's club's AT's. I think they were $175 each.

Q78-15's on stock 60 series wheels.

35.5" x 9.2"

FWIW these are as tall as my worn out 37" mtrs.

Last edited:
Why the need to stay with stock rims? Why not buy a new set of rims to run your offroad tires on and leave the highway tires on the stockers?

Owyhee Jackass said:
Q78-15's on stock 60 series wheels.

35.5" x 9.2"

FWIW these are as tall as my worn out 37" mtrs.

Dan,
Thanks again for lettin me wheel your killer 45...I want one :(

I guess I should have asked this question before I sold Manny my old wheels - I run Q78s on 8" steelies but I guess they fit on stock wheels - good to know.

BTW - those wheels look a lot nicer on your rig than they ever dig on mine Manny. Did you paint that thing yet?

Haystax,
I took care of some rust, but painting the body is definitely on the list.
I got a few quotes ($2,000-$4,000), and am now thinking about shooting it myself.

thanks again for taking care of a fellow cruiser...it is appreciated,
manny

highjack stop

Hijack continued

Don't paint it Manny! I love the scheme you've got going on that thing...besides, no one will recognize you if you paint it now.

Dan,
Ended another day @work, only to find that that someone left a nice mark on my front passenger fender...no note :(

glad I haven't painted her yet...
manny
moreTHENmark.jpg

Last edited:
I just got some new 33x9.5 BFGs on my cruiser the other day. I drove 300miles on them home. They rode really nice. It drove nice and straight at 60mph. They didnt seem to wander at all.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom