Got my Scangauge II! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's pretty cool, I am mostly interested in real-time coolant temps but it's got alot of other features too.
I have to pull the plastic panel and route the wire behind it but it's a 2 minute install. Just plug it in and set it up! The only thing is the fuse panel cover doesn't fit w/ the plug in there so I have to trip the cover or leave it open- no biggie.

I set it up so the water temp and rpm are over to the left, volt over to the right (like the dash). You can pick what you see.
SNV31097.jpg
SNV31098.jpg
SNV31099.jpg

of course, read/clear codes. I have a seperate odbII reader but one less thing to pack or dig out.

I will check if this works on VAG COM too
SNV31101.jpg

The thing is awesome. What I found cool was the intake air temperature readings which were on average 130* - 140* on mine. After the snorkel install the intake air dropped to 90* -100*.

Have fun playing with it: deciding which gauges to display and what color scheme to run!

cool thanks toy350,
I decided to try and match the stock toyota green backlight. lots to play with... I want to read actual MPH, so I have to read how to set that up

Have fun with it! I love mine and plan to send it in to have the software updated for the additional gauges, especially AT temp.

As for the cable/plug, on other thread(s) I've read where at least one person simply unscrewed the OBDII port from the dash so it and the connector could be tucked back in there. I haven't done that yet (been 4 months now) myseft and not sure if I will as for emission tests here the tech has to have access to the OCDII port. But, doing so will allow you to tuck that stuff in there and put the fuse cover back on.

I've had mine for a few months now and its great. Actual numbers for temps, adjusted speed for tire size (and displaying it in km/h eh!), and the code reader to get rid of the pesky 0401 code that my truck loves so much:rolleyes:. I unscrewed the ODB II port, flipped it up 90*, and screwed it back to the panel (there are two hole there for that mounting config) so the cover fits right back on.

The only thing I'm looking for is a better place to mount it. I have it velcroed to the front of the shifter console where it meets the center dash piece. Only problem is that the screen can be quite difficult to read, especially on sunny days or with the sunroof open. My buddy mentioned making a fibreglass mount to integrate it in below the radio (aftermarket single din), so I'm going to look into that idea.

Definitely a good buy! :cheers:

Cut a hole in the fuse cover for the cable. I don't know how you have it mounted on the steering column. I tried it there and it blocks almost all the idiot lights. I mounted mine below the heater controls:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=163951

As for the cable/plug, on other thread(s) I've read where at least one person simply unscrewed the OBDII port from the dash so it and the connector could be tucked back in there.

worked for me, two screws and your done....

thx for the tips,
so I tried to mount the OBD port facing up but there is no room for the plug, so I unscrewed it, plugged it and screwed it back in facing downward- it isn't ideal but now it's all hidden and the cover fits back on :). Fed the wire behind the dash and out at the steering colum gap-
It's clean thanks guys
SNV31102.jpg
SNV31104.jpg

Last edited:
I just wish it would work on my 91.... :frown:

Cool, just bought one. Now I don't have to bother with the temp gauge trick.

:D Exactly

BTW for those that just bought these there was a recent post in this thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=147300 - that Scangauge is coming out with updated software for additional gauges. Specifically mentioned was an AT temp gauge which I want and the ability to do make up your own gauge :cool:

Apparently for $25 Scangauge will update the software. I haven't checked into yet but FYI :cheers:

Oh, and nice job on the install FirstToy!

So post up some coolant temp #s. Steady state on the freeway, full throttle uphill, cruising around town.

My coolant ranges between 85-90 degrees Celsius (185-194) for the most part, whether stop and go, highway, or with canoes on the roof and junk in the back. My voltage is a bit low (13.2 or so while idling with high beams), but I'm keeping an eye on it.

had my scan guage about a week and so far...

freeway at 70mph, AC on full, 110º day - maxed out at 202º
stuck in traffic, AC on full, 110º day - maxed out at 206º
6% climb at 60mph, AC on full, 105º day - maxed out at 209º

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom