Builds ROTW: "Peepers" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
damn i hate my screen name but there is no changing it now:crybaby:

My turn for rig of the week... or rig of the few days as i am late late late... Sorry about that! Here is the truck as it currently sits:
new.jpg

So, into the history. I got into cruisers about 4 years ago with the purchase of an 89 FJ62... my white whale so to speak. I bought it from a teacher, threw some 31's on it and hit the road.

Here she is:
THE_TRUCK_PIC.jpg

It was great wheeling for my first truck and lots of fun. As with most neglected cars, it was a mess. It failed me 2x and had to go. Once on my way to the Yankee Toys fall gathering, it overheated and had to be towed home and then again while packed full with the finance and the dog for a long weekend in Acadia National Park. After the tranny overheated, we had to call the tow truck to get us back to Boston... the tow truck driver reached in to put the car in neutral and our fearless guard dog took a chunk out of his tricep. She looks like a real killer eh:
PJ.jpg

Ugh anyway on the dog bite. That was it for that truck, it had to go.

Then the hunt was on for a solid, well maintained FJ62. I loved them. After nagging a fellow member of Yankee Toys he finally agreed to sell me his truck. Great guy, KLF on this board I think, sold me his 89 FJ62... 4.88s, locked F&R, ARB bumpers, OME suspension, the whole 9 yards. I added a few things to it and had my perfect cruiser...
IMG_3480.jpg

or so i thought... My girl and I loved the truck so much we drove it everywhere! The problem was us, I guess we are a bit soft and we would be super fatigued all the time after really long treks... 6+ hours in the car... so, the hunt was on for an 80...

That brings me to wear I am today... with yet another Yankee Toys member's truck! I bought 82Cruiser's 1997 FZJ80. This is what it looked like the day I brought it home:
dside.jpg

drear.jpg

Truck specs that day...
  • 97k miles
  • Factory lockers F&R
  • OME heavy suspension
  • Slee sway bar kits F&R
  • 35" Toyo Mud Terrains (brand spankin new)
  • Custom wheels, FJ40 style with the dog bowl cap, widened & powdercoated grey
  • Stock rims powdercoated grey
  • Internal rear roll bar and dog cage
  • Slee headlight harness
  • Custom rear bumper
  • ARB front bumper
  • Aftermarket stereo stuff
  • custom sliders (which have since saved my ass)
  • Drilled and slotted rotors

What have I added since then?
  • Lightforce 240 lights
  • Interior hella map light
  • Dynamat across the entire floor of the truck including the rear
  • 35 Nitto Terra grapplers so now I have a smoother tire for ling trips
  • Iron Pig offroad rear bumper
  • Slee 4" springs
  • Slee sastor plates
  • Slee adjustable panhards
  • Hellroaring dual battery system w/ optima yellow and red top (still not hooked up)
  • Aussie outback rear drawer (just the single)
  • HIR high and low beams
  • Slee AC dryer skid plate (installed wrong)
  • IPOR tranny skid plate
  • DC front drive shaft

What I am still going to do come hell or high water?
  • Fix my front locker, it wont engage
  • get Precision 4.88s installed

Here is a recent pic... more to come of course!
rocky.jpg

The rims with the dog bowls... these sit slightly wider than stock so these are reserved for the ATs. The MTs sit on the stock rims:
rim.jpg

Here are the MT's on the coated stock rims:
stock.jpg

Here is the thread where I talked about them... https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=117640

The Slee suspension install went well with so much help from LandTank that I can't ever repay him in beers. That reminds me LT... are we meeting at Redbones? It will be the first of many "my treat"s to come... Back to the install... The springs went in well. The cutting to fit the castor plates is scary, once you do it there is no going back! I had the OME bushings in from the OME lift so we had those pressed out and the Slee blue ones (NO cator correction in them) pushed in. Then we got the control arms in which was a struggle but it all lined up ok. Like an idiot I pressed in some things wrong but with LT's help we got it straightened out. The bottom line is take your time and have someone review your work. Anyway, here are pics of the castor plates welded in place and spray painted. Again, if you do this be careful, there is no going back!

Drivers side:
drivers.jpg

Passenger side:
http://retep.tv/images/pass.jpg

Still on the Slee install. It was late and we were tired to getting the panhards straight was a mild PITA. not impossible just not terribly easy. lots of measureing, adjusting, measuring and adjusting and so on. Here is a pic of the rear, nothing eventful. They did not come painted so I slapped some on there... it just flakes off. They do come with a rust proofing so if I had to again, I would not paint them.
panhard.jpg

I had this thread going about the slee install... nothing big: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=149864
The rear cargo tray. Overpriced but boy do I love it! It also provides a great platform for the dog. It fit well with the roll cage as well. Yes, I know it is relativelty inneffective. Here is the thread about the roll cage: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=119274

Here is a pic of the drawer and dog:
drawer.jpg

There is a lot of stuff in the drawer... when we went to Acadia we had all the camping grear in there with the dog in the back and it was good to go. It is also super easy to access stuff. There is a divider in the drawer which is handy.

Overall impressions are that we LOVE the truck so far! With the big tires it is a bit labored up the hills here in the Northeast. The 4.88s are a must. It is comfortable as hell on long trips. It is slightly smaller than the FJ62 so that took some getting used to but it sure is welcomed on the trail... anyway...

My only issue is that I see the work you guys do on here and it is AMAZING! The work I do is pretty sloppy. I do have an excuse, this is the first time I have worked on my own vehicle so everything I am doing, I am doing for the first time. Also, I dont have a driveway or garage and have to do all my work in the street which makes it tough.

What could I have done better? Installed the wiring harness for the headlights and driving lights better.... its a total rats nest in there. Put the AC dryer skid plate on the right way... I tried to install it with the tabs to the inside but it the dryer so I had to install it on the outside but now one tab is out there and really cant be utilized... you will see when I post pics. I guess that is all the bad stuff and its not that bad. I can tidy it up and as I do more I learn more and I get better.

I know there is a lot of talk about tires on here... This is why I LOVE my 315 Toyo MTs... After crawling the truck through some axle deep mud and creating these ruts:
rut.jpg

This is what the tire looked like... notice the clean tread!
mt.jpg

love those damn tires... the only other tire i would consider, which i have also owned, and would drive 200 miles on to get to a wheeling spot is the Interco Truxus MT... IMHO

Last edited:
cool truck.i hope to get an 80 one day.for now though i'll stay with the 4runner

Nice rig PEEPERS : )
I'm running Carnage again soon, you want to lead?

Nice rig. the rear bumper looks cool.

Thanks for contributing. Nice truck. I remember when you were selling that red 62, I was thinking about it.

Glad you made it Peepers! Better late than never. I dig your 80..... and I remember KLF selling that 62 from the yahoo 3FE list!

# Hellroaring dual battery system w/ optima yellow and red top (still not hooked up).

You will love this when you get it installed. It has saved my butt 3 or 4 times recently. There are several good writeups; Cruiserdrew's and Romer's both come to mind. Look at all of them and choose the way you want to install it.

Thanks for contributing!

:cheers:

-B-

Nice Rig! Any chance you have a full side shot of the powder coated stock rims and truck ... ckean ;)

BTW, I used to live up in Portland, ME and got to hang with Landtank from time to time, great guy. Looks like you are in the Cambridge area?

Cheers - Nate

WoW! You know, seeing your rig on here back last june is what got me into all this maddness... I think you went by a different name than 'peppers' back then. ;p

Is that a 35" spare you have inder there? or a 305 maybe...

I like how you have gone for the greyed out look, its pretty unique.

Schweet rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Nicely done, love that 4" Slee lift.:D

Thanks for contributing.:cheers:

One day I will have a truck as nice as yours...Must feel really great to cruise in that. Enjoy it and keep up the work, you will get better the more you throw yourself in to it. Nice doggie too...Have fun.

yeah romer and landspeeder... the 3FE list is amazing! great guys and Kens truck was amazing. i just needed more of a DD for me and the soon to be wifey... man i miss that truck.

WoW! You know, seeing your rig on here back last june is what got me into all this maddness... I think you went by a different name than 'peppers' back then. ;p

Is that a 35" spare you have inder there? or a 305 maybe...

I like how you have gone for the greyed out look, its pretty unique.

i think you were looking at 82cruisers posts... this is his truck, well, his old truck. anyway... the 35" did fit under there. now it is up on the IPOR rear bumper...

You will love this when you get it installed. It has saved my butt 3 or 4 times recently. There are several good writeups; Cruiserdrew's and Romer's both come to mind. Look at all of them and choose the way you want to install it.

Thanks for contributing!

:cheers:

-B-

thanks B. i have all the cables cut and soldered and wrapped. i just have to do the install. i do need supervision. i am going to run both cables to the starter as the instructions suggest, NOT connect the batteries directly to eachother. i also cant seem to find the ground on the pass side of the motor. i think i will post asking for a pic of it.

anyway, LOVE this forum, just need to figure out how to easily do the multi quote function.

Nice Rig! Any chance you have a full side shot of the powder coated stock rims and truck ... ckean ;)

BTW, I used to live up in Portland, ME and got to hang with Landtank from time to time, great guy. Looks like you are in the Cambridge area?

Cheers - Nate

scroll up :D that is a clean shot up there. also yes, i am in somerville, it borders cambridge hence my inability to "own" a place with a driveway or garage.:eek:

Very nice, thanks for contributing. :beer:

So how long before you move up to a 90 or a 100 Series?

Very nice, thanks for contributing. :beer:

So how long before you move up to a 90 or a 100 Series?

because i want something more comfortable? nah... this is it. i do love the solid axle and lockers and to still take it offroad... some mild stuff but some stuff that scares me which is why people like green40 makes jokes about it.

peepers said:
You were selling this 62 when I was looking for another Cruiser. I contacted you for more info, but the wife wasn't into it. Ended up with an 80.

Also, the PO of your 80 inspired me to put the 'Old School' LC badges on my 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom