Lockright - Inner Axle Stuck in Side gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Ok, ive spent all F ing Night on this dam Lockright.. This is a used locker coming out of a rear axle ive got.. The Short Side Inner will not move on the Side gear, so i cant pull out the Axleshaft. I pulled the entire 3rd member apart and now the carrier and short side are still left in the housing..

Its been a bad day.. im going to bed.. anyone have an ideas on getting this out? Ive pryed on the end of the axleshaft with a 4 foot prybar.. Nothing..

I dont care about the axle shaft or housing, or even the carrier, i just want the dam locker for my truck..

Or, anyone have a good Side Gear from a broken one?
lockright.jpg

well....cutting torch comes to mind...:grinpimp: but would probably wreck something if you cut the axle out...maybe heat the locker and try to get the axle out then?

Howdy! Looks like it is rusted some in the splines. I would soak it in PB Blaster, or Kano deruster, whatever. I would try blocking up the sidegear in the housing and tapping on the outer end of the axle to see if it will move in. You could also try a long bar, axle shaft, fence post, whatever, to run in from the other end of the housing and give it some sledge hammer work. You could also try heating up the side gear, but that's the part you don't want to damage. John

Take the long side axle, put the splined side into the side of the carrier,(from the back of the cruiser)and pry it out from the inside,please be careful as to how the truck is being supported, it wouldnt be that hard to push it off of the jack stands that way..... hope this helps.

long rod, big hammer, 2 people

X2.

Remove the other axle shaft, get a long piece of steel rod, 1" diameter at least, and drive the axle shaft out of the side gear.

If you are having this much trouble getting that axle out of the side gear I do not think that I would install it in my own vehicle....

I was figuring it was a broken shaft... But this looks to be complete?

Ditto what was said above -- PB Blaster the side gear/splines. Let it soak. Then, take a 3/4 hunk of pipe/rod insert through long side, and drive it out.

agreed with poser, long pipe or something where you could freely swing a big hammer and punch the stuck shaft out.

good luck

all good ideas.. thanks fellas.. i m to the point where im thinking of starting to cut the hell out of everything.. I was thinking chop the carrier in Two, then cut off the end of the axleshaft, once i have it in on the bench i can use a bearing puller, or Press.

At that point it will be ruined and i will need to buy a new locker anyway :rolleyes:

ill report back what happens.. :grinpimp:

spline show now rust, and dont look bent..

If you are tyying to safe that lockers, beating out from the other side will most likly damage it. You might be able to grind some metal of the shaft splines ,If you can pus that shaft in the gear even a little woud help, then you can hammer it out. Just a thought , maybe worth trying.
Vic

I'm with vicm on worrying about the BFH approach. I'm thinking a two-person prying session ala Dave West's idea is worth trying. One person prys on the inboard end of the shaft inside the carrier while the other prys on the flange at the outer end.

You ought to be able to reach launch velocity when it lets loose!:eek:

Good luck

Mark A.

I think that you should beat the shaft inboard, and then cut the axle splines off where they are twisted and then pull the shaft.

BTDT Are you sure the splines are not twisted? All that gear oil should keep the rust to a minimum.

I agree with the long heavy pipe from the other side and pound it with a sledge hammer. You have nothing to loose at this point.

Got it out!

Well i could not find a pipe the right size to put in the other side (long side)

I tried some more ideas, no go, then i slept on it, and got an idea!

I Jammed my Bottle jack,(out of my new 80 Sieries :cool: ) between the ring gear and the spring perch.. Put a buch of pressure on it, then rotated it over to the other side and pryed with a Hylift handle.. Poped right out!

Crazy thing is the splines all look good.. they slid right onto a spare inner axleshaft that i have.. i did not try to slide anything back onto that inner.. but it looks good :confused:
stuck shaft.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom