Goat Transplant #1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hardwickhousewares.com
So I had this huge post typed up that detailed a whole bunch of stuff about my project. Then the server decided I wasn't logged in anymore and I lost it all. I'm not going to retype the whole thing so here is the summary.

12H-T swap into '87 USA spec FJ-60, California model. Donor vehicle was a '89 JDM HJ-61. Engine has 85k miles and good compression.

What I've started on so far is figuring out the mounting for two A/C compressors. The first a York for on-board air. THe second is the comp from my 2F, chosen because of availability in the US. The alternator, starter, and other electrical goodies have to come from Australia or be rebuilt from 24V parts. I also reused the A/C comp mount (cut from the right side motor mount) and tensioner from the 2F.

For those that are curious, this is what I have so far. I hope that many people find this info useful and can benefit from my blundering.
front.jpg
front-comps.jpg
comps-back-close1.jpg

Another detail shot.
comps-back-close2.jpg

Great ,I love a engine swap post. With 87k the engine should last for decades;)
IMO you would be better off with a purpose built compressor. This is mainly because I dont like engine bay clutter:D
I presume it will fit;)

You maybe able to use 12v parts off a canuck 12v HJ60.

Keep it coming:D

Yeah, I hope it will fit also. :)

I have a feeling that the outside A/C will be pretty close to the fender and could tap the sheet metal if I stomp on the pedal. We'll see...

I was looking at some pics in my files and it will be close. More likely too low than too wide,but still it may fit.
Im not sure if these will help:rolleyes:
12HT pics 003 (Small).jpg
landcruiser pics 055 (Small).jpg

Mountain Goat said:
Another detail shot.
may i suggest another support down to the block. that is a LOT of weight hanging off the original compresser mount.

also when i type up a huge detailed post i print it up in word and then copy over the exact reason you stated. works for me...

cheers

Thanks guys.

Another support would be a good idea. I don't have all the details worked out yet. I'll have to wait until I receive the alternator which mounts under the A?C comps. The alt and starter are on the slow boat from Australia.

Surgery has finally begun!

After a much grease monkey action and a near FUBAR, I pulled the engine last night. That makes the last major piece to be removed unless the fuel tank needs a serious cleaning.

For those that don't know, going in will be a 12H-T from G&S Cruiserparts, a shiny new H55, and rebuilt t-case.

Nothing to show right now - only a gutted Cruiser. I'll post pics when I've made noteworthy progress.

In the end I found my 12V parts in Oz. It was a long wait to ship by sea, but worth it.

:cheers:

My understanding is that all CDN HJ60s were 24V, it was the BJ60s that came as 12V.

Looks like a great project, keep up the energy!

my 2H is 12V .. :D

I got donor engine mounts from G&S Cruiserparts. It turns out that the placement is quite a bit different than the 2F. I have cut off the 2F mounts and willhave to test fit the engine to determine placement of the 12H-T mounts. Kind of a PITA, but the only way to be sure.

Looks like my super-duper 2 A/C compressor setup isn't going to work. To make it fit I moved the alternator mount down a couple of inches. When my alt finally arrived from Oz and I put it on I realized that it would be trying to occupy the same space as the PS gear. No worky.

I restored everything to factory configuration and the alt still won't fit. The alt is from a 2H and the vacuum pump hits the turbo inlet duct (the rubber part) on my 12H-T. So I have to buy another smaller alt and go back to the original plan of powering the York compressor with a winch motor.

Oh well...

Sorry to hear that. I had hopes of doing the same to mine. You score high points for the effort.:idea:

Goat Transplant update

This just in...

The engine and tranny were successfully test fit for the purpose of locating the front motor mounts. The engine/tranny have been removed again and mounts have been welded to the frame. They might even be in the right places.

Now it's time to rebuild the t-case onto my new H55 and put things back together.

Still looking into options for my alternator. Finding a 12V 12H-T alt is a bit of a challenge.

I have some pics but haven't had time to get them sized and posted. Will soon.

One day soon my beautiful bastard child will be running again.

If you have any doubts about the position of the engine, just set the front bib with rad and shroud on the body mounts/frame and see how the fan lines up in the shroud...but you probably already did that right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom