How to Add Intermittent (Delay) wipers to your 90-95 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK all.

I am going to be starting the write up on how to add intermittent wipers to your DLX pickup.

I cannot be certain of the years other than 92-95 BUT I am fairly certain it will work for all years 89-95 (Pre Tacoma).

First off, here is what you need to order or find from a junk yard:

Wiper Switch OE # 84652-35370

This part is for an SR5, Non Cruise pickup for years 89-95. It will look like this:
Wiper Switch.jpg

I will get to the rest tomorrow ( :

Do you have to have the tilt wheel like the part # lookup says?

Good question.

NO, you do not. As a matter of fact, non SR5 pickups do not have tilt wheel according to Toyota. You can follow my original intermittent thread a couple of weeks ago where we debated what truck actually got what. But according to Toyota (factory that is), only SR5 pickups got the tilt, cruise and intermittent BUT the non cruise, intermittent switch fits on the DLX, non cruise, non tilt column. for that matter, the cruise, tilt, intermittent switch fits too ( : Just dont need the cruise!

Make sense?

OK here we go...

Next you need to remove the lower plastic panel below the steering column. 4-5 screws and 1 10mm. If you plan on doing the mod in one sweep, you can leave the hood latch on. You need to do this to gain access to 2 hidden, steering column screws.

You also need to remove the ignition switch cover plate (just snaps off).

PLEASE NOTE: do not force the cover off. Gently pry it away from the AC control/Center console covers.

See pic and the bottom two-these are obscured by the lower panel.
DSCF0005.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the 3 screws that hold the 2 steering colum cover halfs together and then the two screws that attach the steering column cover to the column. Remove the steering column cover from the column. Should look like this.
DSCF0006.jpg

Good question.

NO, you do not. As a matter of fact, non SR5 pickups do not have tilt wheel according to Toyota. You can follow my original intermittent thread a couple of weeks ago where we debated what truck actually got what. But according to Toyota (factory that is), only SR5 pickups got the tilt, cruise and intermittent BUT the non cruise, intermittent switch fits on the DLX, non cruise, non tilt column. for that matter, the cruise, tilt, intermittent switch fits too ( : Just dont need the cruise!

Make sense?

O.k., i'm with you. Got a 92 4X4 like you so i'm following big time and would like to add the inter wipes like i had on my 94.
Whatever problems you have, i'm gonna.;)

At this point, you can do a couple of things-really doesnt matter the order.

You could go ahead and remove the steering wheel OR you can go ahead and disconnect the harness and start working on that. Either way, the steering wheel must be removed to allow the removal of the Switch Housing.

I went ahead and started working on the harness and removed the wheel later. Mostly because I thought I could get away without removing the steering wheel.

Removing the harness is straight forward and simple. There are two screws that attach the harness to the column. It is hard to take a pic of it but it will be obvious.

Remove the two screws, drop the connector down and detach harness. Pull switch/light harness out and it should look like this:
DSCF0008.jpg

Now, you need to remove the wiper switch wires from the harness. Very simple BUT you have to be gentle with the release tabs. You do NOT want to break the harness.

Just to QC the original research, I made sure that the wiring was accurate against the FSM links I posted. Dead on. As well, you need to get the orientation of the pinout so you know how Toyota references the wiring i.e. where A2 is for example.

The ONLY thing I noticed is that the HORN wire (Green with Red Stripe) was NOT listed on the pinout. It goes to A5. Just make a mental note.

Here is a pic of the inside of the harness. You need a small, flat screwdriver to push down the tab and keep it held. Then push the wire in a little and then pull pack. They come right out. See below:
DSCF0010.jpg
DSCF0012.jpg

At this point, you need to go ahead and remove the steering wheel.

Remove the one screw that attaches the horn. Remove horn and wire.

Remove the 19mm Steering Wheel bolt. (Make sure your wheels are straight). Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and it should come right off. Mine did with little effort.

This leaves you looking at the switch housing.
DSCF0015.jpg
DSCF0016.jpg

At this point, remove the 4 screws that attach the switch housing to the column. Then pull off the switch housing.

Now, you should have a light switch that is attached to the housing AND harness and a wiper switch that is ONLY attached to the housing.

Remove the wiper switch by removing the twp screws that hold it to the housing.

If you have not already done so, you need to remove the horn wire from the spring connector.

End up with this:
DSCF0014.jpg

Last edited:
Next, attach the NEW intermittent switch to the housing using the same two screws as the old switch.

You might have to pad/route the wiring down a bit to get a good tight fit against the housing.

Attach the housing to the column. You get this.
DSCF0018.jpg

Now you need to attach the new switch wires to the harness. They just slide in and clip to the harness tabs.

MAKE SURE you reference the FSM pinout and wiring.

From this point, pretty much straight forward and the reversal of the beginning.

Attach steering wheel, horn, harness, steering column cover and lower panel.

And folks, you now have intermittent wipers.

Here is a pic of the install prior to reattaching the column cover and lower panel and a pic of what the harness connector should look like after you rewire the new switch.
DSCF0020.jpg
DSCF0019.jpg

So, some concluding comments.

1- I could do this now in less than an hour. Took me 1.5.
2- I did NOT remove the Neg Battery cable due to the fact that I was not working with live voltage.
3- There are many ways to go about doing this i.e. you do not have to follow the same steps. You could have removed the wheel first for example.
4- The intermittent switch clicks, for lack of better word like a turn signal relay. Hell, I don't care really.
5- VERY simple mod.
6- Good mod to do if you are doing stereo work since you are removing the lower panel anyway.
7- Be careful not to lose the horn, spring connector after you remove the switch housing. It WILL fall out.

Enjoy fellows.

Nice job.
You don't show a pic of the end of the new switch wires.
Are you basically pulling out the blue old switch wires and putting the new ones in? Are there the same amount?

Nice job.
You don't show a pic of the end of the new switch wires.
Are you basically pulling out the blue old switch wires and putting the new ones in? Are there the same amount?
Hi Joe.

I assume you mean the end of the switch wires? If so, no I did not because they are the same as the original-have to be in order to fit into the existing harness. If that is not what you mean, let me know.

Also, and to be specific, you are not JUST replacing blue wires. There is a black wire and a green wire as well. But yes, you are merely replacing the EXACT same wires and number of wires.

Think of it this way....the switch wiring has not changed; merely that it now has a circuit board that delays the input signal into the wiper motor. The pinout is EXCACTLY the same using the EXACT same wiring color code.

If I placed both switches in my hand and only showed you the wiring, you could not tell the difference between the two switches.

I hope that answers your questions.

Wait.....

Does this mean I finally found an option that my '91 came from the factory with!?!?! How cool is that?!?! Not even a door dinger, but I've got intermittent wipers (and didn't realize it was anything special).

BTW--if anyone wants a JDM lever with intermittent wipers, PM me. It's for RHD, but it's one of the bits I've still got lying around that I pulled from the half-cut when I parted it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom