Warn 8274 Twin Motor..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40-GARAGE

I`ll be back....
Threads
Website
www.fj40-garage.de
Some pictures from the UK...........

exevNWbDB0D40820067174558.jpg

exevNWbDB0D40820067225662.jpg

More about the *thing*
Is there something similar known in the US?

Another Twin motor winch from David Bowyer / UK.
200005.jpg

Technical Data PDF

But.......3000 British pound....... !

Mike Smith over here in Aus just did same thing with his high mount.

No one uses a standard high mount over here, all 24v with 12v motors so they are faster, bearinged end plates, bigger drums, waterproofed, and now using 3/4" plasma ropes to have enough breaking strain, and still breaking ropes, and now 2 motors that way, or one on the end of the other, but afew years ago one was done with standard motor gearbox configuration with another gearbox on the other end of the drum and another motor.

IIRC Brent Perret (son of Alben Perret, owner of LandCruiser Mountain Park) had a twin winch motor set up on his GU Patrol Ute winch challenge truck. His was set up a little differently though. He used two winches and mounted them together to make one wide winch. He welded the drums together for extra line capacity and mounted a motor and gearbox on each end. I don't know how he got the LHS motor and gearbox to work in the reverse direction properly. I'm not sure if he still uses this set up or if he has changed it.

I'll have a quick search and see if I can find some photos of it.

I don't know how he got the LHS motor and gearbox to work in the reverse direction properly.

Not difficult... just have to reverse a couple wires... ie. what is "forward" to one control pack, is "reverse" to another.

If you had heavy duty enough solenoids to run two motors, you could do it with 4 solenoids. easy.

Not difficult... just have to reverse a couple wires... ie. what is "forward" to one control pack, is "reverse" to another.

If you had heavy duty enough solenoids to run two motors, you could do it with 4 solenoids. easy.

Yeah that would be easy but what about the ratchet on the brake? Maybe that would need to be made up as a new part so that it operates in the reverse direction. I don't know these winches all that well, my only experience with them is helping a mate rebuild his broken 8274 at a winch challenge on the Saturday night. I don't know if I was a help or a hinderance as I had had a few too many :beer:'s. I can't exactly recall the workings in the gearbox to be able to say if there would need to be any other mods.

uhhh both... :doh:

the more motor you have... the faster the winch is going to pull, under load, and the more load the motors can support without stalling...

Anyone see a price on this? When I get ready to rebuild mine I might like to go this route. Very cool...likely I would never need it, but...

Cheers

You mean two motors on one gearbox, or two gearboxes joined with a custom drum?

It would be easier to just join two gearboxes at the drum, this wouldn't cost anything more than the price of two 8274's. (not exactly a small price)

Twin motor upgrade for the 8274

Hi All,
im new here on this forum, i found it because i look around for anybody hwo have a twin motor installed on the 8274 warn winch.
At the moment nobody has such a system in the USA. And i cant find anybody how produce it - Maybe i can help these guys -

My Name is Uli and at the moment i live in south germany (Munich)
Some of my friend and i developing solution for building Hevy duty Offroad parts especially for competions. My intention is to relocate my life to USA at next year (2011) - to the rest of my family who lives in KY.
I try to start my own business with these winching technologies.

here i will start a tread about my Double Head Winch upgrade for the Warn 8274. Some guys here in Europe and me developing one of the greatest upgrade for the 8274 winch. i thing its one of the best, we and a lot of europeen Offroad teams tested these upgrade for a long time.....

shorts facts:
- two 6,8 Horsepower motors
- complete Heavy duty Gears
- Allow dual head cnc finish
- Heavy duty bearings
- real airpowerd freespool drum
- 30% moore speed as stock
- heavy duty break axle

Our targets:
- get a bullet proof Winch
- get a realy fast Winch with and without load
- simply to install
- eliminate the serial weakening
- trophy / challenge suitable
- a fail safe winch in each situation

What we have done:
- developing a complete new head for two motors
- developing new Heavy duty gears
- changing the ratio
- developing new break axle
- developing a new winch drum with a real freespool
- set up a system so everybody can upgrade step by step
- find heavy duty bearings
- testing testing an teasting again on all europeen challenges we know

Steps we finished actually:
- dual digital alternators with more than 300 ampere and up to 60 Volt charging
late moore about this...

here in europe are a secons system on the market comes from great britan the manufactir called gigglepin. The giggle pin system is nearly like my one becaouse ther a some differnces on the details if you compare both systems.

here some picture from the last testing series at the revison to see details after one year using.
the pis show the head, the head on the left side is one year old,
installed on one of our competion cars. on the right side its a brand new
head.

5930244.jpg

5930245.jpg

5930246.jpg

5930312.jpg

5930313.jpg

5930314.jpg

5930315.jpg

5930316.jpg

5930317.jpg

5930318.jpg

moore pics cooming soon - if anybody have questions so feel free to ask

Hi,
here are the reason for this devolopment:

the fist brake axle is our first prototype, the axle in the middle is the stock one and the third is
our new axle type, no dispenable notch bigger heavy duty
5930612.jpg

here you see a broken central gear, the reason is the terrible bearing (the both ones in the middle - these small both bearings has no steering ) down you see our 3 bearings
5930613.jpg

here you see the gear - this is what evey owner of a stock 8274 one time see, a hole without a bearing...
5930614.jpg

5930659.jpg

5930660.jpg

5930661.jpg

5930662.jpg

shipping ? no problem here two ready to use winches for a italy racing team
5930663.jpg

I do like the idea of any 8274 structure or platform with more power on it .. but what I don't like it's about comps right now are winching race .. which it's a shame to me ..

wow that's pretty stout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom