MaddBaggins trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
We used to have an Adventure Trailer Horizon some years back. The economy went sour and I was laid off and the trailer was an easy thing to sell quick, put some coin in the bank. We've missed having a trailer ever since.

I decided this time, I wanted to build my own. I wanted to use a Toyota mini bed as the basis of my trailer. A little searching on the local Craigslist turned up a 79 mini bed already on a frame and titled/registered in AZ. The price was right, so I bought it.

Here it is, as I brought it home.

IMAG0947.jpg

IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG1090.jpg

IMAG1088.jpg

First things first. It needed a multi-axis coupler for full articulation offroad. I ordered one from Adventure Trailers. Multi-Axis Couplers by Adventure Trailers

It also needed a receiver tube, drop leg and safety chains.

I broke out the torch, grinder, welder and some scrap plate I had around and went to work today.

This is what I started with.

IMAG1087.jpg

Then

IMAG1093.jpg

IMAG1094.jpg

IMAG1095.jpg

IMAG1097.jpg

IMAG1098.jpg

So, working on the trailer today I had a chance to better inspect the underside. There is some rust, just surface stuff, nothing major.
What I did notice, however, is that the bed and frame do not go together. The bed is mounted with some homemade gussets and it is wider than the frame. This isn't a big deal, but may change my suspension plans a little.

It has an axle under there, pumpkin and all, and I thought it was an old mini axle, now, not sure. My plan was to get some mini lift springs from Kurt and drop some 33's under the trailer. Now, I may get a trailer axle and hubs from a local joint. I may lift the bed from the frame a bit and see if I can squeeze some 35's under it. Might require some cutting.

Other future plans include a water tank with faucet. Something I can pressurize with an air pump.
A small utility box.
Batteries and solar charger
Lights
An idea I kicked around today was a frame top with canvas.

We'll see where it leads. :hmm:

i think the a frame pieces are part of the old frame and those flared holes pointing out used to point in and are what's left of a round tranny brace cross member.

if so i see an absence of toyota holes and the whole thing looks pretty beefy. is that two c channel frames welded together and have the holes been welded up?

i think the a frame pieces are part of the old frame and those flared holes pointing out used to point in and are what's left of a round tranny brace cross member.

if so i see an absence of toyota holes and the whole thing looks pretty beefy. is that two c channel frames welded together and have the holes been welded up?

It's boxed frame all the way back. It was cut/folded to make the A. It is smaller at the back end. I'll have to get a pic of the way the bed is mounted. It may or may not be a Toy frame and axle. Either way, it will work for me, I just may need to make more custom stuff when I get to the suspension/axle. Once I get past that part, I will take the bed off, clean it all up and have it blasted and powder coated.

Awesome job, Alvin.

What is that pipe nipple/cap for that is welded to the frame?

The PO had it on there as a place to grab when moving the trailer around. :meh:

Looks like a good start, those PU beds seem to be making good gear haulers....if I can help let me know.....:beer:

Looks like a good start, those PU beds seem to be making good gear haulers....if I can help let me know.....:beer:

Thanks Pat! I need to check out yours for some ideas. :cheers:

Since you have a receiver on your trailer, you might find an extension bar to be of use. The reason is that your trailer is compromised by the A frame in front that in tight turns, particularly with any articulation, may allow the trailer bed to strike the tow vehicle body.

CivieTrailer004a.jpg

This is an extension bar I made to allow the trailer to tuck up close, or move it back for more clearance. An extension bar can also come in handy for overly long cargo, like canoes, rafts, long posts, etc.

CivieTrailer-003a.jpg

No extension bar.

CivieTrailer-002a.jpg

Extension bar shortened.

CivieTrailer-001.jpg

Extension bar full length.

Yes indeed. It has quite a bit of space between truck and trailer now and I have a 2' extension in the rig.

And you've backed the truck to the point of jackknifing to know what the limit on cornering is? Because at some point on the trail you'll wind up in a less than ideal spot requiring you to back up with space being limited.

And you've backed the truck to the point of jackknifing to know what the limit on cornering is? Because at some point on the trail you'll wind up in a less than ideal spot requiring you to back up with space being limited.

This one, not yet, but I've had an offroad trailer before. I could kick the old one nearly 90˚ with no extension. This trailer will have more room.

Since you have a receiver on your trailer, you might find an extension bar to be of use. The reason is that your trailer is compromised by the A frame in front that in tight turns, particularly with any articulation, may allow the trailer bed to strike the tow vehicle body.

CivieTrailer004a.jpg

This is an extension bar I made to allow the trailer to tuck up close, or move it back for more clearance. An extension bar can also come in handy for overly long cargo, like canoes, rafts, long posts, etc.

CivieTrailer-003a.jpg

No extension bar.

CivieTrailer-002a.jpg

Extension bar shortened.

CivieTrailer-001.jpg

Extension bar full length.
Great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom