Willys Utility Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
Here are some more pictures of the Willys Utility Trailer.

anybody else have pics or information on these trailers?

From my looking into it ....they were offered for sale thru willys...but...possibly not an authorized dealer option like the Spen or Bantam were. I am looking for the manufaturer/literature or any info?
1949WillysTrailerDonald2.jpg
1949WillysTrailerDonald1.jpg
1949WillysTrailerDonald3.jpg

here are some pictures of another one...this one has the correct length of the tounge...the gray/blue one was extended.

the gray/blue is definatly a 1949 as the owner bought it the day he bought his willys jeep.
3k33o43pa5Q95Sb5R99aa634724e6b3471ff0.jpg
3n23k33m75O75Q55Pe9aac54f23f75d5b11bd.jpg

I don't know much about them.....I used one for a trailer build last summer. Tough little trailer

If you come across a spare I'd interested.

Thanks

Pat

Are you sure thats a Spen? The ONLY Willys accessory trailer availible that I am aware of was the Spen as shown in the old ad below. Note the fenders for one. The trailer bodys are about 1 foot shorter and narrower than a 416 and could be ordered with any bolt pattern to match the towing vehicle. Even tho they are a bit smaller than the 416, they are rated at 3/4 ton VS most of the other 1/4 ton trailers. Whatever the trailer is, it's a nice one. And a fellow Mainer??

Willys ad and pics of my Spen.

SpenTrailerPage.gif

Militarytrailer001.jpg

100_0028.jpg

100_0215.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the Willys Utility Trailer.

anybody else have pics or information on these trailers?

From my looking into it ....they were offered for sale thru willys...but...possibly not an authorized dealer option like the Spen or Bantam were. I am looking for the manufaturer/literature or any info?

never said it was a spen...they were offered for sale thru willys...but..."possibly not an authorized dealer option like the Spen or Bantam were."

the spen was a dealer option and was listed as accessories...this one was not.

the maine trailer as well as the tan one were originally purchased when the willys jeeps were purchased in both instances.

I had one, was pretty beat up, had a tag on the front that read ;

Genuine Willys Jeep Equipment
Model No : 7 ST 12
Serial No : ???
????????? : 1000 LB
Sterling Machine & MFG Co LTD, Owen Sound Ontario.

had different fenders on it than those round ones tho. and no suspension, axle just bolted to the frame rails. got it cheap, sold it cheap when a m101 fell in my lap..:grinpimp:
trailer%20002.jpg

that was VERY good information Seapotato...it turns out that Sterling made jeep conversions (fire rigs):

"The builder's plate on the Jeep reads, "Genium, Willys Jeep Equipment, Model S1, Sterling Machine & Mfg. Co. Ltd."

Jan Morrison has provided some background on Sterling Machine & Mfg.: "This company was located in Owen Sound, Ontario. Between 1945 and 1950 they produced fire trucks for Canadian customers using designs licensed from American Fire Apparatus Company of Battle Creek, Michigan. The trucks were marked Sterling Machine & Mfg., but were identical to those produced by AFA in Michigan for the US market.

"AFA's parent company was American Marsh Pumps, also of Battle Creek MI. They opened a Canadian division and manufacturing facility in Cambridge ON in 1951. It was called American Marsh Pumps Canada Ltd. Starting with the 1951 model year, they produced AFA trucks in Canada. All the trucks built by the Canadian division are marked with chrome trim saying "American Marsh Pumps (Canada) Ltd. Stratford Ontario". The US trucks were plated for American Fire Apparatus Co. The US parent company was sold to new owners in 1960, and they closed the Canadian operation in 1965."

CJ-2A Fire Jeep Photos on The CJ3B Page

I am thinking that the two companies that made these trailers for willys were Sterling Machine & MFG Co LTD, Owen Sound Ontario in Canada and American Fire Apparatus Company of Battle Creek, Michigan in the USA.

All the trailers that are USA side have not had name plates...too bad.

I will need to do more looking :D

We have a Sterling model number 47-ST-10 that was once red, thus fits the idea of a fire wagon of some sort. My father in law has had it for donkey's years. It looks almost exactly like the photo Seapotato posted, although ours does have springs and it looks like they're original. The bushings are gone now though, and it's getting a bit rusty.

Serial Number 2!

Here's a few of pics...

cheers, Dave
jeep1sm.jpg
jeep3sm.jpg
jeep4sm.jpg

Serial Number 2!!!! :eek: How cool is THAT? :cool:

It's just begging to be totally restored.

It may eventually get transferred into the hands of a jeep guy I know who will restore it, since I'm a rover guy and he's looking for one anyway, but serial number 2 is admittedly pretty neat.

thanks, Dave

Hey all. New to the site. I just picked up this trailer last weekend. I ran across this page and thought I would try to post a pic and dig around to see if anymore info was found on these. The seller told me he bought it from the original owner in chicago that bought it around the late 40's to early 50's. The pink slip date is 00/00/1951. It has an obvious white coat with red under that and green appears to be the factory color. Fenders were ripped off in a 4x4 ordeal and replaced with galvi's. It is pretty much like the blue trailer listed above. Btw JohnnyC I sent you a PM. Hope the pics make it and thanks for any info!

:cheers:
Bellworx
4.jpg
5.jpg

yes very cool ...it is a Genuine Willys Jeep Equipment trailer

does it have the vin plate on the front inside part of the frame...AFAIK thats where they were

and your pulling it with a Toyota FJC even cooler :) you know we have an FJC sevtion here on mud :)

Cool. Yea Ive been running through the site a bit first day and all lol. I will go look again but I didn't see a vin plate uh oh. Inside as in underneath inside? Toward front driver or passenger side? Im grabbing my flashlight lol.

Hmmm didnt see anything. It's been in Ventura CA for at least 25yrs and has surface rust but wouldn't a vin plate be placed on with rivets? Should be easy to see. Round 2 with the flashlight...

Tongue

Unable to find a vin plate. The tongue has been slightly altered but I would think the vin plate would be closer to the bed. Would have been cool to have it on there. If the plate was removed wouldn't the metal have noticeable rivet holes in the frame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom