Yankee Toys Fall Gathering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

do you guys know if camping is tight? or is it like around here where you shouldn't have a problem showing up w/o reservation?

F&F is a big open field surrounded by "sites" that aren't really marked in any formal fashion. I wouldn't worry TOO much about a reservation if you're not sure you're gonna attend yet. Last time I camped there the owner just kinda walked around in the morning and collected cash from whoever was new. I hope she's a LITTLE more organized now though...

Nick

Hey, Jeff, have you tried to do camping reservations yet? I've been kinda waiting to pull the trigger until Yankee Toys gets the registration info up.

Also mulling over whether to bring the pop-up or not.

I am told that the primitive camping is not a necessity to reserve... so I am waiting until a little closer to the date. I plan to go but I need to see how my wife's schedule shakes out.. and it is not out for that month yet.

I figured I'd ask the boss if I could go. She didn't really say no. You know, there is no and there is NO. I just got a no with a smile. So I may be able to swing it.

Who's thinking of going and what level runs do you think you'll be doing--Stock, Intermediate, or Hardcore? And days wheeling? I'm thinking Friday and Saturday right now since it will most of Sunday to get home.

still *planning* on going up, but not sure *how*

was thinking of trailering the 40 (intermediate)... but that takes a trailer I haven't lined up and $$$ for gas.

was thinking of driving the 80 up (stock, intermediate)... but then I risk breaking something expensive <edit> 7-8 hrs <end edit> from home. Oh yea.... and $$$ for gas

was thinking of shotgunning with Jeff in his 60... HALF as much money for gas... but then I'm not driving my rig (maybe good, maybe no fun? :D)

I just don't know. I've never been up north and that's the MAIN reason I want to go. I really wouldn't be disappointed if I can get out into the woods with some good folk and finally see the NE! :D

I'm planning on going one way or the other!

Last edited:
was thinking of driving the 80 up (stock, intermediate)... but then I risk breaking something expensive 10-13 hrs from home. Oh yea.... and $$$ for gas

the breakage factor is exactly why i'm being a little cautious. it's not like i have a drawer system full of spare 80 parts and tools . . . yet.

if i wasn't already going to be in NH for the week, i'd say you could also ride up with me if you wanted.

what else is up there in the immediate vicinity?

considering taking mom up adding a extra day or 2 and making it a mini vacation :confused:

We're going to be about an hour or two north up in the White Mountains (Mt. Washington, etc.) hiking and mtn biking prior to the gathering.

"something"? driving the 45 up? or the 60?

OK,
not 10-13 hrs only 7-8 hours!
(just checked Map point)

:D

Men,

These are my plans the FG. I hope to see a few of you guys there, maybe camp in the same general area and wheel together one or two days?

I sent my registration off a couple days after it was available on line. Was planning on meeting up with a couple members of the GCLC in northern NJ and caravanning north, but those plan has since fallen through. I’m still going because I’ve never attended a FG, and also because I’ve never been to VT! The wife is not a camper so I will be solo for this one!

Signed up for the hardcore rides Friday and Saturday, but I can change that to be able to wheel with those going up from the ALCA. My plan is to basically following the same itinerary as most others heading out from this area (leave out Thursdays, wheel Friday and Saturday, drive home Sunday). Like most, I’m not up for breaking anything or doing any really crazy stuff, just looking for a fun weekend of wheeling and male bonding.

I’ve made reservations with Gretchen at Fn’F and yes, it’s a pretty loosely organized camping arrangement. She caters strictly to groups and doesn’t advertise; doesn’t even have a web site or any online information to look at. When talking with Gretchen, I only inquired about primitive camping but I believe she mentioned having sites with other facilities. Not sure if that means ‘full service’ or what.

The main campground is on a seven-acre plot of land with an open center area that is surrounded by trees (I’m thinking Echo Valley but on a larger scale?). The campsites are tucked inside the tree line and site selection is on a first come-first serve basis. Gretchen also has another 3-acre area for trailer and tow-vehicle parking nearby. From what I’ve been told there are showers and toilet facilities on site which is a big plus in my book.

The FJC trail team will be there and cooking one of the nights, likely Friday, and Saturday night is the BBQ and raffle. That only leaves Friday night for cooking, simplifying meal planning logistics to not much more that breakfast and lunch. Not sure how the area is laid out but I was thinking about getting camp set up, and then heading into ‘town’ Thursday night to sample some local cooking. Anyone interest???

As far as driving up to VT goes, I haven’t decided on a route yet. Yahoo maps take me through NYC and up through Mass but there is no way I’m doing NYC with a trailer! Been there done that once already!!! Will likely try going north in a way that avoids large cities and toll-roads (yeah, wish me luck with that plan!)

Mike

Mike,

Our routes to New England have usually been up 81 to 84 and then 84 into CT to miss NYC. If you force an internet mapping program to go this way, you'll see that it only adds about 7 minutes to their calculated travel time . . . but is probably actually faster since you're skipping NYC completely! And no tolls across those two roads. Once in CT on 84, you can cut north on 91 again and go from there.

Mike,

Our routes to New England have usually been up 81 to 84 and then 84 into CT to miss NYC. If you force an internet mapping program to go this way, you'll see that it only adds about 7 minutes to their calculated travel time . . . but is probably actually faster since you're skipping NYC completely! And no tolls across those two roads. Once in CT on 84, you can cut north on 91 again and go from there.

Thanks! I was eye-ballin that exact route! Hate NYC traffic. Was originally going that way in order to load up someone's Swampers for the ride north, but I got ousted by a pair of ZZ Top concert tickets for that weekend!!!
No problem. I don't mind. The FG will prove to be a really fun time for all attending.
Mike in PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom