XL7 vs 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm posting this on a Suzuki forum and a Toyota forum to try and average out the biases... A little background info: I used to frequent the Zukiworld forums between 7 and 10 years ago when I owned a great little 1997 4door Sidekick and later a 2001 4door Vitara. I ended up frustrated with the Vitara after numerous blown struts, a cracked front diff housing, and then 4 or 5 blown CV axles after replacing the diff with a steel V6 one. Anyways, after getting sick of wrenching on my rig all the time due to a poorly designed suspension lift and lack of aftermarket support, I sold the Vitara and switched to a 2004 Tacoma xtracab. I still have the Tacoma right now and also have an 1989 FJ62 but am planning on selling both in the near future. The Taco especially has served me very well and even after wheeling it moderately hard for the last 6 years it hasn't cost me much to run at all. But I have always missed the nimble, fun size and weight of the Suzukis, and also the ability to haul passengers comfortably, as the xtracab is barely adequate for toddlers let alone adults. Due to a growing family situation (back then I was single, now I'm married and have our first child on the way), I'm looking for a 7 passenger 4wd SUV that has off-road capability similar to or slightly less than the Tacoma. Seems overkill to go for a 7-passenger right away, right? But I feel it's easier to justify spending money on lifts, tires, winch bumpers, etc for a vehicle if you plan to keep it for a long time (thinking next 10 years possibly). A 5 passenger SUV is really only good for 2 adults and 2 kids in car seats, so I think we would probably outgrow that pretty quickly and then need to upsize again.

Right now I'm looking at the following 3 options: 1999-2006 Suzuki XL7, 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner, 2006-2010 Jeep Commander. After doing a bit of research I'm not too keen on the Jeep, I've basically ruled it out, mainly due to poor build quality and poor fuel mileage.

The 4runner looks best for my requirements.
Pros: It has either a punchy v6 or a v8, both reliable engines as far as anyone knows. It comes with traction control and other electronic goodies I don't really care about. It is available with 7 seats; the 3rd row models are not that easy to find though, and the seats don't fold flat into the floor, they hang off to the sides and take up space there. My experience with Toyota vehicles has been really good, I also really appreciate the wide range of aftermarket support for them after being essentially on my own with the 2001 Vitara.
Cons: 1)It's only available as an automatic. 2)It has alot of overly complicated / unnecessary systems like traction control, vehicle skid control, hill-start assist, and downhill assist control. I don't really need that, I know how to drive and prefer the old school way of wheeling as opposed to pushing a button and letting the computer do everything for me. 3) No possibility of retrofitting manual hubs to it. 4) Expensive- the cheapest one I've found was around $8000 CDN, with high mileage, and 3 provinces away requiring an inspection to bring it to BC. A clean one with lower mileage can go for as much as $15,000 which is over what I'm willing to pay. I'd say $10,000 tops but even that's a little on the high side. 5) Push button 4wd- lame, bound to leave me stranded one day. I just replaced the 4wd actuator on my friend's 2001 Tacoma so I'm a little gun-shy of electronic shift motors if I can avoid them.

The XL7 on the other hand, doesn't really LOOK like it's cut out for the job at first glance, but it's got potential to be a contender for thousands less $$$.

Pros: 1) Available with 5 speed manual, AND a lever-shifted t-case, and it's possible to install manual hubs easily 2) Much more affordable off the lot, most expensive one I've seen is the same price as the cheapest 4Runner. Leaves some money left over to build it up a bit. 3) Rear seats fold almost flat into the floor 4) I'd say it's slightly more unique, although I don't see a ton of 4th gen 4runners out there either. 5) Easily re-gearable once larger tires are installed, just swap 3rd members from an automatic in

Cons: 1) Considerably less off-road worthy out of the box. Small tires, no skid plating except the fuel tank, low clearance. Needs a 2" lift and 2" body lift and 30-31" tires just to keep up to an stock 4runner. My 2001 Vitara was the same way, but at least it had a shorter wheelbase. The Xl7 has the exact same 110" wheelbase as a 4th gen 4runner. 2) Limited aftermarket support, even though it's been around longer. 3) No dealerships for genuine parts in North America. Not really an issue though. 4) Even though it has 100 less horsepower and weighs hundreds of pounds less, it gets the same fuel economy as the v6 4runner 5) About 4" narrower body than the 4runner. Could be an issue fitting child seats in the back. But again, FOUR inches, basically divided by two because it's going to be equally split from side to side, is only 2" less elbow room per side. Not sure if 2" is worth making a fuss about. 6) This is kind of the same as #2, but you can't even source an aftermarket winch bumper for it in North America! And there are no lockers available for it.

So...my question is. What would you do if you were in my situation? Buy a Zook for thousands less and modify it relatively inexpensively to get it up to par? Or spend big money on a Yota and leave it close to stock?

My ideal XL7 would be a pre-2004 (don't like that facelift), with the Rocky-Road 2.5" spring&spacer lift, plus 2" body lift, full skidplating, an aftermarket front bumper, rock sliders or at least step bars, and whatever size tires can fit under there. I'd love to stick with 15" wheels and run a 30x9.5 or 31x10.5, otherwise if it's gotta be 16" I'd try either 245/75R16 or 235/85R16 or 215/85R16. My wheeling typically involves tight-ish trails on mountainous terrain, lots of old mining and logging tracks, camping in the boondocks, etc. Not looking to beat the crap out of something I want to keep nice, but not afraid to scratch it in the event that things get a little sideways.

My ideal 4runner would be likely a 2004-2005, with a 3" lift, sliders, full skidplating (not sure what components are plated from factory on these), an aftermarket front bumper, and probably 31-33" tires. So very similar to how the XL would be set up if I went that route.

Something like this is what I'd be considering, all these look to have a 2" body lift, probably a 2" suspension lift, and roughly 30" tires

ecd52ccs-960.jpg

b8d52ccs-960.jpg

64d52ccs-960.jpg

1201081143_2.jpg

22050020003_large.jpg

vs what you all know and love:

Alstrom-Point-2011-L4-2-L.jpg

What say ye?

In my eyes it's not even a contest. The xl7 is going to require quite a bit of work just to make it able to perform as good as a stock 4runner. I owned a 2 door Geo tracker and had a blast in it. It was very capable because I put quite a bit of work into it. A bone stock 4 runner will take 98% of people anywhere they want to go. With very little mods it can be even more capable.

This is not even apples to oranges, this is more like apples to anvils. A more appropriate comparison would be the XL7 to the Rav4. I had a Lexus GX470, same drive train and chassis as the V8 T4R. You wont find a XL7 as powerful, refined, comfortable, or dependable as a T4R. Are there any Suzuki auto dealers up there? All the ones here closed and parts are really only available online and require shipment from Japan. So any breakdown adds a week to part procurement.

I was just going to correct my comparison above to be a Montero/Pajero

Yeah, the Montero Sport is definitely alot closer in stature to a 4Runner, especially the 3rd gen, but unfortunately we didn't see Mitsubishi in Canada until about 10 years ago, and even now, they're still quite rare.

As for parts availability, I live in a small town 12 hours from Vancouver. I'm a mechanic at a Volvo commercial truck dealer and it's very, very common to wait anywhere from 1 day to 1 week or more for parts to come from the warehouse in Ontario or the States. That's just life in the far north, I don't think it matters if you drive a Toyota or a Kia or a Mercedes Benz for that matter. Simply put, you're better off not counting on finding parts in northern BC.

I also understand that the XL7 will take quite a bit of work to even keep up to a stock 4runner. And like you say, a stock 4runner will be good enough for 98% of people. So, by extension, an XL7 with quite a bit of work done to it would also be good enough for 98% of people. I have no problem doing the work. I'm a mechanic by trade and Suzukis are just like large ATV's to work on. I once read on this board when I started my Land Cruiser rust-oration "I may not have alot of money, but I do have lots of time". I think this principle would also hold true to putting some love into a Suzuki to get it up to par.

I do agree it's not much of a comparison. Of course the 4Runner is better. I'm just looking for some honest, experienced opinions from both sides if it's worth the thousands more.

You already said the XL-7 needs a lot of work to just keep up with a 4 Runner. So just get the 4Runner or even better a Lexus GX470. Three rows of seats.

I needed a 7 passenger and looked for 4Runners. Ended up in the GX470 as most came with 3rd row and I know I wanted a V8. More headroom in the Lexus and what I found was cost was not different between 4Runner and GX470. I did find the GX470's I looked at were typically in much better shape than the 4Runners. That said, if I had found the 7 passenger, V8 4Runner unicorn in mint condition I would have bought it. I am really happy in the Lexus. It is so nice.

GX470's are the hidden gem in the offroad world. They're generally pampered pavement queens in really good shape, so go find one of those and build it. :D

A stock 120 series will do surprisingly well and last a long time with proper routine maintenance. A decent set of tires with a 2-3" lift, sliders, and skid plates on a 4Runner or GX is the way to go -- they're the Land Cruiser's kid brother. You can always add bumpers, winch, lockers, snorkel and/or roof rack too depending on your needs. There's definitely more aftermarket support for the 4R, but as those on here will attest, the GX can be nicely kitted. Really, I'd think the decision to be 4.0L vs 4.7L and not 4R vs XL.

One big advantage to going with the Toyota is you will save a ton of time since the aftermarket for the 120 is already very established and there is a ton of parts that are compatible between the 120 and the newer 150.

When I bought my GX470 I was initially hunting for a 4Runner. I was a little bummed but after living the GX470 for a couple of months I am really happy with the decision. Yes, the seats do not fold flat but each row has air conditioning and the second row seats recline. Also, the driver, passenger, and rear passengers can have different climates. The inside is also quite spacious and the ceiling is quite a bit higher.

I feel like if you get the XL7 youre going to push it right to the edge of the envelope and you'll be in a situation very similar to what youre in now. Where if you get a GX/4R you may have a little more room to breather.

Thanks for the responses guys and keep them coming. I haven't made my mind up either way but I do feel more attracted to the Suzuki due to its lower buy-in and simple mechanical nature. I thank all the GX470 owners for chipping in, but I had already considered that vehicle before posting, and it's just not happening. They are harder to find than 4Runners, plus I might be one of the few people out there who actually prefers a vehicle that isn't loaded to the nuts with bells and whistles. I don't really have an issue with the Lexus, it's just that, if a 4Runner's borderline too fancy and expensive, a GX470 is completely out of the picture.

Understand. I did not care for all the bells and whistles, but now that I have them they are nice. It has the transfer case lever versus buttons in 4Runner. And like I said before, when I searched, the price for 4 runner and GX was equal. Didn't look at the Suzuki, wasn't enough truck for my needs. Had to have the V8 for towing and like most folks in this forum, no question for me, Toyota. My stepsister blew the engine in her XL7 before it hit 100k miles. May not have been the cars fault but still not good.

GX is actually very basic, not a lot of tech to worry about. My 2003 is simpler to work on than my 96 land cruiser.

i feel like i did the exact same search. Another vehicle to throw into the equation is the Mitsubishi montero (non sport version), they are the ones with the wide bodies. Gen 2.5 (98-99) have solid rear axles and factory air locker options. Gen 3 (01-02) become a re-enforced unibody and get great reviews. They are more expensive but the 03+ got a slightly larger engine and a traction control logic sourced from land rover that works dare i say better but similar to a-trac. Gen 3s also fit almost 33s stock.

The gen 3 was Mitsubishi attempt to battle the gx470 as a world platform and is as reliable as the gx470/prado worldwide and generally comes with full leather and a very soft ride like the gx.

Due to its name it slots nicely in the used market above an xl7 and trooper, but below the GX when considering mileage and price.

I agree with Dan. We prefer working on the GX/FJ/4Runner rather than 80/100 series Land Cruisers. Way simpler.

Also, mechanically, there is very little to go wrong with the V8 4Runner and GX470 and the GX470 has the least to go wrong. The GX470 has the mechanical transfer case lever vs the electronic one on the 4Runner. If you get a V6 4Runner there is an additional vacuum actuated disconnect that reduces drag on the front wheels (not really a failure point though).

Also, if you care about reliability, I seriously think it is impossible to beat the GX (by ANY vehicle).

DefectRate.png

An XL7 may be cheaper to get into, but it does not look like its going to be cheaper in the long run.
DefectRate.png

And yes.... The GX even beats the 4Runner.
DefectRate.png

I'm trying to understand your graphs but feel like I'm missing something. What is the yellow line? What is the black line? If I'm looking at the yellow line, the 2003-2007 4Runner has a powertrain defect rate of 5 to 7 percent, vs the 2001-2006 XL7 sits between 12 and 20 percent. That's probably pretty correct, but we are also comparing a relatively cheap, entry-level vehicle vs a fairly expensive, mid-market vehicle, which as someone pointed out is an apples-to-anvils comparison. I think, reading between the lines, everyone here is trying to tell me, "You get what you pay for".

From what I can tell the black line is the average, yellow is the vehicle. When vehicle is below average the gap is green (good), above and it is red (bad).

If I am reading the first graph correctly.... What went wrong with the 09 GX? I haven't read many issues with 09s or the previous years for that matter.

air pump I wager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom