x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would call a builder like Blue Torch Fab or others and ask. I haven't seen many rear mount....

Build a 4 link and throw the damn panhard in the trash. Now that ive given my opinion ill give some answers.

If you put a panhard in the rear, you have to worry about things like driveshaft, oil pan, upper and lower link mounts, etc. If you can get around that stuff and the math is right i guess it could go behind it. I would rather make room up front tho.

John,

The Panhard mounting needs to be a couple of things. Whether it is behind or in front of the axle doesn't matter, it is only used to locate the axle side to side as it drops or compresses. I did a lot of research on suspension when I built mine. There are a couple of things that I learned.

You either have to design the suspension and build the car around it like many of the serious buggies and race trucks do or you need to work around what you have and make it as close to ideal as possible.

So with the panhard, the ideal would be that both it and the drag link could be completely flat at ride height this would make for the least amount of side to side change with bump and compression, but it isn't likely in a lifted 55. The draglink will not be flat so you should match the panhard to the slope of the draglink. This way they both move together.

Can't wait to see how it turn out.

Looking at it from a geometric standpoint the axle will move laterally a touch more with the panhard in back I would like to say a negligible amount without thoroughly analyzing the problem.

I have seen folks put bends in their panhards for clearance with success.

Looking at it from a geometric standpoint the axle will move laterally a touch more with the panhard in back I would like to say a negligible amount without thoroughly analyzing the problem.

I have seen folks put bends in their panhards for clearance with success.

Please explain this as I don't understand why it would move more (laterally) if it is behind the axle center line?

Panhards are really easy. Location does not really matter as long as it is the same length and slope as the Drag link. Or at least get it as close as possible.

BTW, do not have the Drag link and the Panhard bar Make an X Keep the frame side mount on the same side as the steering box.

Please explain this as I don't understand why it would move more (laterally) if it is behind the axle center line?

Scratch that, it is fully independent since it will be attached directly to the axle. I confused myself with the idea that the panhard would be attached to one of the links at a point making the triangle smaller. I should have sketched before posting.

Thanks for the input.

Mace, the plan was to have the panhard and drag link be as close to parallel as possible and they will be within 2-3" in length. On the frame side, the pitman arm and panhard mount are both the same distance from the frame. Both will be close to flat.

Good design then..

I ran a heim on the axle and a bushing on the frame. hopefully, the link arms are long enough to not cause too much front to rear movement during articulation. Heims on both ends would work as well.

I ran a heim on the axle and a bushing on the frame. .

did mine same front and rear

on go fast desert stuff i think the 4 link is probably better in back but....campbell's KOH racer is a 5 link panhard in back and it is fast as hell. the 5 link can make packaging a lot easier...ie no need to triangulate links. im considering a 5 link on the rear of my current build.

5 link panhard has good redundancy, but can cause binding issues with articulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom