Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! Mike's growing up ;)

Looks like a great project... I have no doubt you can do it and do it well!!

I can't help you with a price for your '74, but I'm sure others will.

Question: looking at those red parts, how do we know you haven't simply started a frame-off in your '74? :cool:

Good going Mike - enjoy!!

Danny (@pngunme) I'm going to do a Riley (@jetranger) type build... Yeah, um no. But I do want to make it more modern. Nice thing too being torn apart I will get it blasted and painted. Should be much cheaper to paint since it is in pieces.

$hit just got real... :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440782560.179748.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440782571.076291.jpg

Its kind of amazing how many single land cruiser owners so quickly become multiple land Cruser owners.

I really like how you keep telling us your selling the 74. Your wife must reading this thread and your just keeping up appearances. No way you can let that go with the way you won that coin toss. =)

I agree with @Honger! I was supposed to sell my fj60 once I bought my 40 last August... Then I convinced the family that I'd sell the 60 once we got the 40 running.

Now that the 40 runs, I'm running out of excuses... I basically am blaming my indecision in order to hold on to both until we decide which one will be our long term pseudo family member...

The addiction does set in fast and quietly

I may end up doing the frame off for the 75 and then sell and then take the proceeds to make the 74 sweet. Georg is bending my ear... ;)

Unless my wife gets a nice paying job again there is no way I can keep two. But this is a long term project so who knows...

Let's just say it wasn't my lucky day finding a random Cruiser hood on the side of the road... :(. I have some "cold forging" ahead of me. Nothing can be easy of course. Should be fixable though.

Make some lemonade Mike! It'll work out and you'll be a better man for the experience.

Glad we're a few miles apart right now... Just in case... Ah, I'll do it for you :slap:

But, I meant it!

Okay before I get ahead of myself I still have my '74 to work on. I'm still working on the mechanical gauges and just getting some things sorted out. Can anyone tell me what the second sensor is coming off the head? The newer one in the photo is one I added and brought the stock temp gauge back to life. But I have no clue what the older one in the foreground is. Wonder if it is anything? Guess I could unplug and see what happens. But figure MUD can help. I need that space for my aftermarket temp gauge so hopefully it isn't anything and can be taken out. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440895753.572568.jpg

Also, I haven't searched but if anyone ever needed a label to reproduce rear seatbelt labels here's a shot of one:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440895802.078459.jpg

Gotta be a temp sensor Mike. I can't really see wires to it. But, it probably ran your oem temp gauge.

Your engine is looking great!!

Take your time in that '75 so you can keep this one a long time!!

Unless you need to pay college tuition...

Gotta be a temp sensor Mike. I can't really see wires to it. But, it probably ran your oem temp gauge.

Your engine is looking great!!

Take your time in that '75 so you can keep this one a long time!!

Unless you need to pay college tuition...
Well the new temp sensor I installed replaced the OEM one... Who knows. I think I'll unplug and see what happens. Knowing my luck the engine will blow up... :). Or something important will melt.

Oh and trust me Danny the 75 is going to be on a snail like pace...

Started the radiator fluid fill but of course I couldn't find a small funnel to pour into the hose that feeds inside. Will try to pickup some small ones tomorrow. Should help with the "burping" process.
imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1435990087-715995-jpg.1101946

So I was doing some reading back a few pages in your thread and spotted this. Where'd you find the shiny hardware that threads into the head so nicely? I need a nice solution like that... especially since that spot on my head is currently occupied by a rather shady "plug".

Okay before I get ahead of myself I still have my '74 to work on. I'm still working on the mechanical gauges and just getting some things sorted out. Can anyone tell me what the second sensor is coming off the head? The newer one in the photo is one I added and brought the stock temp gauge back to life. But I have no clue what the older one in the foreground is. Wonder if it is anything? Guess I could unplug and see what happens. But figure MUD can help. I need that space for my aftermarket temp gauge so hopefully it isn't anything and can be taken out. Thanks!

That looks like an old temp sensor to me as well. Odd that you ended up with two of them...

Last edited:
I agree with @Honger! I was supposed to sell my fj60 once I bought my 40 last August... Then I convinced the family that I'd sell the 60 once we got the 40 running.

Now that the 40 runs, I'm running out of excuses... I basically am blaming my indecision in order to hold on to both until we decide which one will be our long term pseudo family member...

The addiction does set in fast and quietly

I'm stealing this idea of juxtaposing two land cruiser builds... if the goal post keeps shifting from cruiser to cruiser you can't lose.

So I was doing some reading back a few pages in your thread and spotted this. Where'd you find the shiny hardware that threads into the head so nicely? I need a nice solution like that... especially since that spot on my head is currently occupied by a rather shady "plug".

This ended up being a pretty expensive setup but it does indeed look purdy. I had also bought a PEX inline 1/4 turn valve which was a much cheaper and easier solution which simply goes inline with the hose. So now I have that piece laying around in the parts bin. But here is the solution:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440951935.552674.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440951945.448241.jpg

Need this because the right angle doesn't clear the bolts of the engine block.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440951957.149321.jpg

This I found on MUD can't remember who posted but it is from Napa auto parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom