Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay so got the report back from Georg and it is running great and ready to go! Will pickup tomorrow I am super excited!!! Items done at the spa:

- dizzy installed, wired up, and timing set
- desmog finished
- header bung welded shut
- valves adjusted
- carb primary jet drilled out (was running lean went from 0.052" to 0.055")
- fixed some wiring at rear of cylinder head

Overall he said it was a great little 40 and was running well. Going to be interesting to see how much different the driving/performance is. Having a consistent idle is going to be odd lol.

He said the steering was fine and that I must've done a fine job on the TRE's. :)

'Cause you painted 'em...

Here is my cruiser at Georg's:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438471827.936695.jpg

Driving great! Smooth, consistent idle, no smell of gas, runs super cool now too.

I did seem to lose a little power going up the pass. I've read of a few other Trollhole carbs having simIlar symptoms. Will have to continue tweaking a bit.

Front end seems "tighter" and ride definitely seems better. I did notice today that the rod to the pitman arm has a bow in it and there isn't much clearance between it and the shock. I will take a photo later.

Super happy though, little more tweaking needed but it will get done. Driving home was a joy despite the 2 hour bus ride out there in Friday getaway traffic.

Even cooler is if you could make the radio delete plate fold down over it!

I like that idea. The only concern I would have is that the plate would have to lift up somewhere about 120*, more or less, to provide adequate sight line to the gauges. Would that go too far, interfering with the knobs above it? Would it be possible for the plate to drop down instead of up?

A soss hinge is used in the field of fine cabinetry when a hidden hinge is required. The only problem there is that all soss hinges I have used, and also seen used, are inlet into both halves of the cabinet. You don't have that capability with the delete plate. European hinges also are a hidden type of hinge. But, they also need to be inlet into the back side of the door surface, and are generally much more bulky than a soss hinge.

It's an interesting idea. If you come up with an answer to this I would be very interested in what you do.

Don

I like that idea. The only concern I would have is that the plate would have to lift up somewhere about 120*, more or less, to provide adequate sight line to the gauges. Would that go too far, interfering with the knobs above it? Would it be possible for the plate to drop down instead of up?

A soss hinge is used in the field of fine cabinetry when a hidden hinge is required. The only problem there is that all soss hinges I have used, and also seen used, are inlet into both halves of the cabinet. You don't have that capability with the delete plate. European hinges also are a hidden type of hinge. But, they also need to be inlet into the back side of the door surface, and are generally much more bulky than a soss hinge.

It's an interesting idea. If you come up with an answer to this I would be very interested in what you do.

Don

I'm definitely thinking of fold down. Maybe using a simple small acrylic hinge with good quality double sided tape holding it to the plate and the dash. I don't want to drill any holes. And then hold it in place with some thin adhesive backed magnet. It would stick out a little bit but I think that would be okay as I don't want to put a knob on it and you need a little space to get your finger/fingernail behind it to pull it down.

A hinge like this:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438480906.686672.jpg

What I need to do is to be able to flip flop one side so that there is an offset. Then I would affix the lower part to the inside of the dash and then the other piece would stick out a little which would be perfect to affix the delete plate to.

Plastics are not my forte, so that's out of my experience. I've never seen anything like that hinge before, but if not having a hidden hinge works for you I would have to say that it looks do-able to me.

Don

Here is my bent drag link tube/rod:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438497851.061496.jpg

Not sure how that happened considering this hasn't been off road. Wondering if I can just honk on it a bit to straighten it out. I checked out the oversized ones but they require larger TREs. So rather not go that way.

Plastics are not my forte, so that's out of my experience. I've never seen anything like that hinge before, but if not having a hidden hinge works for you I would have to say that it looks do-able to me.

Don

It will be hidden behind the radio delete plate if I can swap the hinge. I'm assuming I should be able to disassemble to get the configuration I want. They're super cheap so I'll probably buy a couple just in case I end up breaking one.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking. Not to scale. Again, double sided tape to hold everything together. Super lightweight so should be easy to hold it up. I watched a video at Tap Plastics and the pin is easily removable so I could likely do this offset.

fold_down_radio_delete_plate.png

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438537362.960937.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438537382.979025.jpg

First shot is bent rod, second shot is from when I first installed he TREs. Slightly different angle and the TRE has moved some but the rod definitely isn't straight. I did rotate the rod to straighten the steering wheel so it is possible it was bent previously but it was bent downwards. And that was after the TRE install photo. You can see the position of the clamps is different.

And here it is purring like a cat... :)

And I rotated the drag link rod to re-straighten my steering wheel and what do you know more clearance! It must've been bent before. I will work on a replacement.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438556791.324646.jpg

And here is that fancy schmancy month sticker for my license plate:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438556889.768068.jpg

Seamstress in action:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438562041.452499.jpg

As a friend said to me once, "you're going to be a good wife to someone." Simple yet tedious repair. I've actually known how to sew since I was a kid. My mom used to make some of my clothes.

Must have been tough, walking to school in canvas dungarees:confused:

Thanks for bringing the cruiser all this way to have some work done. I appreciate it!!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom