Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the bikini top on and took the Cruiser for a spin! Must say it sure is nice having all that air flow.

Question - do people run their doors on with the bikini top on? My wife was a bit nervous without them.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406781236.602907.jpg

Oh and my gauges stopped working - temp, oil, and fuel. Trying remember its a marathon lol

...via IH8MUD app

Some do, I have found the Bestop half doors quite pleasant and a good compromise. They help keep your groceries from falling out going down the road too. Still waiting on those tire pics....;)

I am trying to decide if I want to downgrade lifts to the OME lift and tall skinny's from my current 4+" lift and 33x12.50's.

Some do, I have found the Bestop half doors quite pleasant and a good compromise. They help keep your groceries from falling out going down the road too. Still waiting on those tire pics....

I am trying to decide if I want to downgrade lift to the OME lift and tall skinny's from my 4+" lift and 33x

Tires get mounted at 11am PST on Friday. I'll snap some shots of them on the wheels but I probably won't get them on my car until Saturday. Hopefully that is soon enough... lol

Oh and for the last time I'm going to take apart that dang fuse box and sand down every connection point so the metal is shiny. That certainly will take care of things right? Or more likely I won't be able to start the car again... :censor:

Yay gauges are working again - took sandpaper to all the contact points in the fuse box and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Of course I haven't tried to start it...

Oh and here are the new wheels and tires! Will mount up tomorrow, 102 degrees out too hot for that job.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406929316.523428.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Okay got the new wheels and tires on - love it!!! Already christened them in with a ride this morning.

Oh and got all side markers working last night - cleaned up the grounds and good as new!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407003738.263794.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Been a bit since I last posted. Managed to get a nasty concussion and bruised ribs doing a flip into Lake Tahoe. Still hurting but making progress. Going a little stir crazy laying around the house so decided to tackle a few small jobs:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408078471.349265.jpg

Painted bezel with that biscuit appliance paint

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408078508.098563.jpg

Made spacers for the spare tire carrier since the new wheel/tire combo doesn't fit without cranking down pretty hard on the lug nuts and smashes the sidewall in some

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408078696.181855.jpg

Cut out the door stop like I've seen on these forums. A friend will help me weld it up and then I'll have a doorstop again on my driver's side door. Need to tap two holes into it and paint

So easy stuff and that about wiped me out. Hopefully this haze will go away and my breathing will improve. Wish I could've taken this past week off of work to work on the Cruiser but no such luck. :(

...via IH8MUD app

Got the painted stuff installed:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408141626.414204.jpg

Amazing the difference just a painted bezel makes!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408141656.313420.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408141697.513409.jpg

1" square tube just the perfect size spacer.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408141724.996815.jpg

And got the CB antenna mount off (sheared off all three screws of course nothing a grinder couldn't deal with)

...via IH8MUD app

It is looking great. I haven't commented in a while but some of your changes are ones i will have to make too. I have the same hole on the rear of mine from an awesome CB antenna! ;) The Wheels and tires look great btw.
what is on the list to do next?
I'd really like to get the rear quarter panels finished up so I can prime and rattle can them. I will be able to deal with that for awhile. I think then I'm good for awhile. I would like to refinish the top at some point too as it appears my rain gutter is in bad shape.

Oh wait, almost forgot - I need to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders and then do some cleaning up on the bottom so I can start the POR15 treatment. Also would like to replace all my hoses under the hood and desmog.

That should keep me busy for quite some time!

If you are bored one day try a good cleaner wax on one of the body parts and see how the red comes back. I was shocked at how nice my badly faded paint came back to life with a simple hand wax.

I'd really like to get the rear quarter panels finished up so I can prime and rattle can them. I will be able to deal with that for awhile. I think then I'm good for awhile. I would like to refinish the top at some point too as it appears my rain gutter is in bad shape.

Oh wait, almost forgot - I need to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders and then do some cleaning up on the bottom so I can start the POR15 treatment. Also would like to replace all my hoses under the hood and desmog.

That should keep me busy for quite some time!
Agreed. The project is just that. It never has an end. That is the fun of it.

If you are bored one day try a good cleaner wax on one of the body parts and see how the red comes back. I was shocked at how nice my badly faded paint came back to life with a simple hand wax.
Yes I've been waiting for my friend to help me - he enjoys detailing vehicles and has all the good stuff to do it. He tried just a little wax on the hood and it was amazing the difference.

I had not one but two CB antenna cutouts on each side of mine when I bought it. One of them looked like it was cut out with a hammer and chisel. It was my first attempt at welding but it turned out okay.
cruiser2.jpg
104_2959.jpg
104_2980.jpg

I had not one but two CB antenna cutouts on each side of mine when I bought it. One of them looked like it was cut out with a hammer and chisel. It was my first attempt at welding but it turned out okay.View attachment 930219 View attachment 930220 View attachment 930221

Looks good to me! I need to learn how to weld. Actually I wish my cousin lived closer by. He is an expert welder, welded cryogenic stuff for 30 years. Super talented. When I lived in the same town as him I had him do something for me and was shocked at how good it was.

I'm impressed they were able to mount it on the curve. Seems like an odd place for it.

Yeah, those holes on the curve were nasty and covered up by a hack metal plate. Why someone would do that while the other two "almost factory" looking holes and ball sockets were still there amazes me. Maybe he had four CB antennas at one time? I bought a 110 Lincoln welder off CL for $200 and started learning. Now I still have to do my fender patch panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom