wompser's m416 trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks to everyone for the kind words. regarding the pump and tank, I've definitely thought about putting a permanant tank on it, I really like the idea of those who've put them inside the frame rails. maybe if I can find the right tank. actually, a tank (or frame) with a expandable bladder might be even better, so it expands up to fill the entire area. anyway, maybe in a future revision.

Check for Tear Drop Trailer water tanks, they make them in very odd, flat sizes that could mount up perfectly between your frame rails and beneath the bed. I didn't find them until after I was done fabbing up the water tank in my trailer.

everything is working pretty well, but i'm a little disheartened by how quickly we're getting a little rust:
4450867555_2eaefa0800_b.jpg

it's not really that bad, but, well, a disappointment. I've taken to storing it indoors. wondering if it has anything to do with galvanic corrision from having a battery grounded to the frame.

Don't let it bug you. Mine started to show a bit of rust pretty quickly too... just wait for your first good dent ;)

it's been a while since I posted here, but to answer a question from before, i needed to to the lift because now that the trailer is so long, I really need to get it up in the air so it dosen't high center. there's a lot of distance between the trailer axle and the rear axle of my jeep.

anyway, i'm 90% done with mounting the spare. with the "stock" spare, it fits perfectly up underneath the back of the trailer

I'm also 85% done with converting the tongue jack to a smaller unit... hopefully I can finish it all up this weekend.

did a little more work, and the trailer is "done" for a little while... at least until I get the lid made!

shortened up the landing leg, and put a couple of wheels on it. this is what I started with originally:

4513408662_8a1b625706_o.gif

but with a little welding, grinding, rebuilding and swearing, I now have this:
4513395992_1b7554ff83_o.jpg

4513396270_c16e2baae5_o.jpg

the annoying part is/was that I had to make the crank removable... it was simply too short to clear the frame.

I also (finally!) mounted the spare up off the last cross member of the frame. tucks up really nicely. sorry for the bad picture, but you get the idea.

4513396384_7ec39938da_b.jpg

next up is some shakedown tests!

uh... yeah! actually coca-cola, but I do work on the powerade, vitaminwater, FUZE and NOS brands. how did you know that?

uh... yeah! actually coca-cola, but I do work on the powerade, vitaminwater, FUZE and NOS brands. how did you know that?

By all the "product placement" in your build pics. :)

Hearing protectection only works when used in your ears! :hmm:
Great build - keep up the pics! :clap:
no hearing protection.jpg

cool, thanks! it's been a fun project.

I'm taking it on it's first true field test very shortly!

Can I get some more detailed information on the table you made for the side of the trailer. I am going to be using mine to do a little tailgating this fall and think this is an excellent idea. Would like information such as dimensions of the wood, location of the holes, and sizes of the hardware (turnbuckles, eye bolts, washers, and nuts). Thanks in advance!

trailer table

sorry, I don't have the table handy, but I can tell you a bit about it. it's 4 feet wide, by about 2 feet deep. I made it 4 feet wide so that I can easily use it as a shelf inside the bed, it fits in between the rails, and rides on the diagonal part. (if you've ever put a sheet of plywood in your trailer, you'll know exactly what I mean).

if were to do it again, I'd probably make it a little deeper.

I think it's a 3/4 sheet, and I got the aluminum channel stuff at the hardware store, it slips right on.

as for the eye hooks, i'm not exactly sure where you'd want to place them, just within reach of your turnbuckle. you can see in the pictures I originally drilled holes for the eyebolts straight out from the hooks. I can't remember why I wound up patching those holes and moving it though! somehow, the worked better at a diagnoal than straight. (I think it was so my stove can fit between them.) I'd maybe reconsider this part of the design slightly too, it's really solid, but takes up a bit of useable room. when you tighten the turnbuckles though, the table snugs up to the trailer very tight. I'm sure it would support 150lbs or more.

I finished the plywood with some kind of sealant the hardware store recommended that plasticizes the wood.

I've been so busy with other projects, I forgot about the trip report! took her on the maiden camping voyage a few weeks ago, and it was awesome! the only thing that didn't go according to plan was that I forgot one of the hookups to the water heater, so we didn't have hot water. also found out that the trailer (even unloaded) is about impossible to position by hand on anything bumpier than concrete.

despite the fact that my wife was 7+ months pregnant, she was a great sport about the whole thing. (wouldn't allow any off roading though!)

this is up north of roslyn, washington

DSC04672 by wompser, on Flickr

DSC04659 by wompser, on Flickr

she's also a great cook, so we ate very, very well!

DSC04671 by wompser, on Flickr

DSC04626 by wompser, on Flickr

DSC04614 by wompser, on Flickr

What a BUILD!

Your build has been inspirational and has set the standard for 416 camping trailer builds. I have had my eye on a banged up 416 for a while now and I now have 416 goal to aspire to. Great job.

Your build has been inspirational and has set the standard for 416 camping trailer builds. I have had my eye on a banged up 416 for a while now and I now have 416 goal to aspire to. Great job.

you can do it! believe me, if I can restore one, you can too. I didn't even know how to weld before I started this trailer. I'd encourage you to get that trailer... you'll have a lot of fun pulling it apart and putting it back together!

fall update

I've got a couple small things that need to be adjusted. that wheel setup on the landing leg turned out not to be beefy enough... it's bending a bit. now that I've lifted both the jeep and the trailer though, I can fit a larger wheel under there.
fabricating a top is also on the list for the winter.

thought I'd post a couple of pictures now that I've got the lift done!
5156548524_83473cef9f_b.jpg

5156550578_2e07d11d81.jpg

5155933671_c21f454f91_b.jpg

5156553574_98193862bf_b.jpg

5155948697_7df03d7e1e_b.jpg

I gotta say it... I think it looks pretty badass!

Your rig is only getting better! Very nice.:clap:

Your build is splendid indeed! Would you describe or show more of how you mounted the spare tire? Did you use a crank up apparatus or just bolt it to the cross brace on the frame?
One last inquiry, what size tire are you using on the stock rims?

Cheers on a truly slick build!!

Wompser,

Great build. I can't wait to see more updates in the future. Do you ever make it over to the JK Forum? There would be many people interested in your build on that site.

Here's a link to my M416A1 build:

1965 Parkhurst M416A1 Trailer Rebuild

Saw those Washington plates. What part of Washingon you in? I'm in Puyallup.

FYI there is a JK get together brewing for early this summer in Long Beach if that intrests you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom