wiring up a keyless remote on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently put fj62 Power locks on my 60.

I use the universal car remote below to actuate the locks. Just to be clear I did not install any other auto lock buttons, or any 62 wiring harness. The 62 actuators, lock mechanisms and the short linkage between them are needed. The manual locks and key still work to lock and unlock the doors manually. Only the remote will work the actuators. There is a slight difference in lock mechanisms between the 60 and the 62. They both fit the welded nuts on the door but the 62 mechanism has a lever and short lever attached that attaches to the linkage then power actuators. All the other 60 door linkage will attach to the 62 lock mechanism. I mean the linkage that goes to the inner handle and lock knob. So you can still work the manual lock knob, the door release inside and out and the key. The 60 doors will have welded nuts inside the door for mounting the 62 lock actuators. Here is the key-less remote I installed to actuate the locks:

Universal Car Remote Central Kit Door Lock Locking Vehicle Keyless Entry System

for $12.20 includes shipping, remotes, main unit box. everything pictured here

s-l500.jpg

And here I show which method is used to wire the key-less entry to the locks:

Then used the "Positive and Negative trigger" wiring scheme for the central locking system. It's pictured here bottom right in this
schematic:
2dqq455.jpg

Both Orange wires together with the black go to ground screw under dash. Yellow wires and red positive go together and to a hot on the fuse panel. Whites go to the lock actuators. Each door will have 2 wires running to the white wires. One will go to the solid white and one to the white/black stripe. I used a 4 to 1 shove in-wire connector to connect all the wires coming from the locks to the white wires. I mounted the keyless lock system on the lower dash "shelf" under the fuse box. Most of the wiring gets tucked behind the kick panel.

At the other end (in the doors at the lock actuators) I crimped on female spade terminals and pushed them on the male spade terminals on the actuators. Don't worry if you're not sure if it's on the negative or positive side of the connection. After connecting both wires to an actuator, work the remote and if they are backwards simply reverse the wires on the connectors. Do this one at a time after you connect the up and down white wire to each actuator. The wires reverse polarity. This means that in the lock position one wire is positive and unlocking that same wire becomes the ground. The remote key fobs do come with batteries included.

Then when hooking the brown wires up to the turn signals wires one brown wire back fed current through the box causing bleed over problems when using the turn signals. so I used this diode in the one brown wire:

NEW BUSSMANN DIODE MINI FUSE 22903-6 6A A AMP

and bought this off ebay to put it in:

In-Line Car Mini Blade Fuse Holder Waterproof 18AWG Upto 15A 12V/24V/32V DC

The horn wire won't work with the land cruiser horn circuit because the Cruiser horn circuit is negatively switched. I left it unhooked.

There is a cool flashing blue led that I ran to the top of the dash, wedged between the dash and the windshield. Looks like it's armed when in the lock position. but no alarm.

You will need plenty of small gauge wire (think I used 18g) to run to the actuators.

Also a small hole must be drilled in the rear door where it meets the b post. There is already a hole and grommet in the B post to run the wire through. 62 doors already have a hole and rubber grommet/plug here.

Last edited:
Not sure, but mine came with a keyless entry option. I was very pleased to see that the rear hatch locks when the rest are locked.

Thanks for the write up. I’m actively searching for powered door guts to put into my ‘85 FJ60.

check out this info about the rear hatch if you're in a 60 and trying to convert to remote power locks. I am actively searching for a 62 rear lock with linkage (already have the actuator) He builds a bracket(middle image and bottom installed) and puts it on the wiper assembly screws.

Remote/central locking for an FJ60 – I finally worked out how to power lock the rear hatch. The actuator had to be mounted on the driver’s side as opposed the passenger’s side on 62’s using the bolt holes for the rear windshield wiper. I made my own bracket, used a 62 actuator and got my local locksmith to order a brand new rear hatch lock for a 62 and rekey it to the rest of my rig. As you can see, the 60 rear lock looks a little different from the 62 and the way they operate is very different.

hatch-png.1236214

hatch-power-lock-gif.1236215

Thanks for the write up.
This mod goes on the "to do" list

Finally sourced a 62 lock cylinder and actuator and wired up the rear lock. My inspiration came from @4wheelfever Riggs Dream Machine.

Page 4 post 65 shows fabrication of the lock actuator mount and where to mount it. Here is his post:

The Riggs Dream Machine

DSCN0012.JPG

DSCN0013.JPG

Last edited:
I remember glancing at this in 2016. Cool stuff. How fast/crisp do your locks work? Mine are getting slower and sticker and not sure if its the switch/wiring is getting worn out or if its the actuators getting sticky. I bet with the remote locking I'd be using all the locks more often which should free them up a bit.

Not super fast or powerful nor terribly slow. Cold weather makes them work harder. I've had a few struggle to unlock but remedied by oiling up the linkage in the lock mechanisms.

I used this kit in my BJ60 ten years ago. It was easy to install. But I need to open my door again and do some push rod adjusting, as they don't always push the rods correctly. But it was neat system.

I also used an autoloc kit that is a transmitter only in my FJ80. It had power locks but no fob in 91. So I am guessing the FJ62's were the same.
The transmitter wired to the door power door lock switch, voila remote door locks.

spliced into the brown wires in the wire bundle that comes in the drivers side firewall. go under the dash and remove the driver's kick panel. Above the relays you will see a large bundle of wires the comes thru the firewall. You'll need to hack into the electrical tape/conduit. Strangely one of the turn signal wires wanted to back feed ( when I turned on the turn signal on one side it lit up both turn signals) so I put a 6Amp diode which was a couple of bucks off Amazon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom