What's you favorite flavor in brake pads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
It's time for rear brakes and the choices are plenty. There is ceramic, semi-metallic, organic and whatever else you may know of.
What's your experience? What are the difference's as far as stopping power, noise, wear rates, etc.
I ordered a rear axle bearing and seal kit yesterday and the salesman was able to talk me into a set of rear Aisin pads and for $45. My research on these Aisin pads turned up no solid info about what type they are and that they are most likely a direct OEM replacement. Your knowledge and experience please....

I've managed to get 50K out of my OEM front pads, rears look great with only 20K on them. I can't imagine better wear from anything else. I've been advised to look at my LSPV valve so I won't comment too much on stopping power but they've done the job very well for 4 years! Haven't had any noise until the last 5K and it wasn't the wear indicators, just dust.

I replaced with OEM (pads and rotors) 2 years ago and rebuilt the calipers at the same time (several caliper cylinders were stuck). They have been fine but I don't have much to compare them with. I have had to make several sudden stops from 70+mph on the freeway to dead still (got to love SoCal traffic) and have been surprised several times how well they work.

I've had great success running the autozone gold on my rigs over the years.

on the fronts I run the 100 series

Advics make a very quality pad, I rip the part of the box with the part number and write mileage and date on it then throw it in the glove box. Simplifies evaluation later.

It depends really what you want.
  • Lots of Bite
  • Value
  • Longevity
Beck-Arnley pads may be Advics, they are definitely Japanese.

OEMs are good no doubt, but so are Ferraris.

Heard very few complaints from the Autozone High End and Napa pads

Advics make a very quality pad, I rip the part of the box with the part number and write mileage and date on it then throw it in the glove box. Simplifies evaluation later.

It depends really what you want.
  • Lots of Bite
  • Value
  • Longevity
Beck-Arnley pads may be Advics, they are definitely Japanese.

OEMs are good no doubt, but so are Ferraris.

Heard very few complaints from the Autozone High End and Napa pads
I have read the word Aisin and Advic in the same ad before. Napa has quite a selection of break parts. I am looking for info one differences that have been observed between the pads types I listed in the opening post.

EBC greenstuff. Very good

Im 100% happy with 80 series OEM pads not the cheapest but good performance, light brake dust, long lasting, and easy on rotors.
Are the OEM pads made by Aisin?

performance friction!

EBC Yellow Stuff. Great brake feeling even in cold, I'm on my second set. Far better then my previous OEM Optifit.

Are the OEM pads made by Aisin?

They are made by Sumitomo, Aisin, Advics, Akebono, or AM Brake but the only way to get that friction material Ultra Secret Six Sigma Black Ninja recipe it to buy the OEMs.

**I have learned that with Brake Pads, Motor Oil, and Tires; if there is a .00001% performance advantage your only shorting yourself by not paying 3X more for the better product.

I used to be into racing (autocross & track days) and have tried a wide variety of performance pads. By far my favorite for a street-driven vehicle is the Axxis Ultimate pad. They stop like the dickens and work great cold or hot. Only downside is they dust A LOT, but my truck is ugly and my wheels are already beat to snot and discolored.

These pads were like $15 on Rockauto.com (used to cost me over $70 to get a set for the honda). :steer::bounce::bounce::bounce:

:fwiw: I have seen really bad glazing with EBC (yellowstuff) on a track day. Like brakes stopped working glazing. So don't ride the brakes coming down the mountain! I will never use EBC again just from that one experience. Probably irrelevant to the cruiser world, but thought I would throw it in there.

I recently installed EBC Greens on my 80, have been using them on my wife's SUV for a while. The new EBC greens on the LC (fronts) made a huge difference in brake feel. Truck now stops like it should.
EBC yellows are racing applications, designed for enduros. As I remember, they are loud when cold as their working temp is very high and you need to get them hot quick or they can glaze your rotors. So brake late and brake hard, like Pagids oranges or PFBs racing, and the compound is very hard on disks. I had disks at over 500F when using these.
I would recommend to stay away from these "high performance" ones. The ones I recently got are Part #: DP7992, the EBC supremes. I wanted to try them as I do a lot of 2 foot driving on trails. So far they have exceeded my expectations.

Yes Yellows and even Reds use to be like that and I do believe they still are on the Road versions. The ones I use are the newer SUV/truck version.
The first time I used them I was afraid of the cold behavior but as I said previously it was a surprise, they're quite good, and when hot they're great, never felt brake fading again. And there's no brake squealing.

My first set of Yellows was with OEM rotors but with this new set I'm using DBA T2 rotors, I'm also running Goodridge SS braided lines.

I have Hawk's LTS right now and they are great when they are hot. Not bad when cold either but I haven't been to somewhere that's actually cold since in socal we don't get really cold here. EBC green stuff does sound interesting.

OEM 80 series in the back, 100 series OEM on the front, pretty hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom