Builds What the Foo is this??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@2fpower did you make your tube doors or buy them? Im looking for some myself and don't have a bender/cant afford one at the moment, and don't want tube doors with nothing but straight pieces everywhere!
Thanks, P

@2fpower did you make your tube doors or buy them? Im looking for some myself and don't have a bender/cant afford one at the moment, and don't want tube doors with nothing but straight pieces everywhere!
Thanks, P

Bent them myself as I could not find anyone making them. I think there are some pics on the 55 days thread. 55 days and 166 miles to SMORR 2013

Our club is going to do High water Mark Trail in Arkansas, and it has been really wet, so thinking about making some half doors. Anyone have pics or first hand knowledge of making half doors for an 80?

Going to try and drive out the hinge pin and make these doors change out quickly. I like the tube doors; however, when going through water that goes 12" up the door, they don't do much.

How about how to use the stock latch on half doors.

Stay tuned.

Our club is going to do High water Mark Trail in Arkansas, and it has been really wet, so thinking about making some half doors. Anyone have pics or first hand knowledge of making half doors for an 80?

Going to try and drive out the hinge pin and make these doors change out quickly. I like the tube doors; however, when going through water that goes 12" up the door, they don't do much.

How about how to use the stock latch on half doors.

Stay tuned.

I just realized the driver rear door did not come with the internal latch in the door. Had to switch that over from my old one. Passenger rear is there though.

I've seen two ways to mod the hinges.

One way you cut and drive out the center pin without destroying the bushings and replace the pin with a cotter pin (or hitch pin or whatever you want to call it.

The other way is you notch the upper bolt hole on the part of the hinge that bolts to the door. This way you can just have the door bolted on with the upper bolt on each separate hinge for summer. Then put the lower bolt in once winter rolls around.

there are pictures of both floating around on google. The minitrucks have the same type of hinge.

I've seen two ways to mod the hinges.

One way you cut and drive out the center pin without destroying the bushings and replace the pin with a cotter pin (or hitch pin or whatever you want to call it.

plan to do this.

i've been kicking around the idea of building some half doors as well. My current doors have been through a roll and the window runs are pinched and crushed and I don't think they're salvageable so might as well cut them down.

Found it was easiest to cut the hinge pin in half right down the middle, file off the burrs, then use a flat punch, like a flat screwdriver between them on the cut and it punched out one side, then you can punch out the other really easy.

Went by tractor supply and for all but the rear upper hinges a 2 1/4 5/16 lock pin fits perfect. Just like the minitruck.... For the rear upper, I bought some 2 3/4 by 5/16 lock pins.

Sweet!

I should also post up about the seats from the Celica that are going in. Got them torn down, repaired the foam and added new cushion foam, then seat heaters. Repaired the torn section then adapted the Cabela's covers to allow for the 5 point harness. The seat bottoms were really rusty metal, and since this will be likely exposed to moisture, decided that I needed to protect them.

I did not want to sandblast them, too many small areas, so made a 40 gallon trash can into a electrolysis bucket. Let it stew for 20 hours and it knocked off most of the rust. A few hours in the blast cabinet and then off to the powdercoat oven.

Made some progress on doors. Here are pictures how I took the hinges out, cut in with the wheel split the difference and pound them out. Upper lock pin has to go in from the bottom and I had to replace one bolt with the lower profile head To clear.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then it goes a little something like this ....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dang you are an inspiration! I need to get up that way and see this beautiful beast as I'm only about 25 min from you! I drool every time I see your posts on foo! And if you know of anyone needing custom upholstery work I know a guy and his prices are pretty good, you know like waterproof custom seats that have some silver and orange accents in them to match the paint scheme... Lol keep it coming I've been on the edge of my seat watching!:clap::hmm:

Dang you are an inspiration! I need to get up that way and see this beautiful beast as I'm only about 25 min from you! I drool every time I see your posts on foo! And if you know of anyone needing custom upholstery work I know a guy and his prices are pretty good, you know like waterproof custom seats that have some silver and orange accents in them to match the paint scheme... Lol keep it coming I've been on the edge of my seat watching!:clap::hmm:

Thanks, and keep that upholstery number handy.... We will see how the Cabela's covers work to keep the rain out.

Evidently, foo is getting famous And fabulous.
image.jpeg

Looks like I need to do a roadtrip here in KC with FOO.
merch_mast.jpg

Sweet half doors. What's your plan for the inside handle? Did you cut out the bar that runs across the inside of the door?

I made my preliminary cuts tonight for my half doors. Now I just need to stare at it for two or three more hours. I'm thinking of rounding the corners to make the openings "flow" a little better with the fender lines. If I cut out much more metal I'll have to get creative with the handles.

Just so everyone knows these doors were in a roll. Glass was never going back in....

image.jpeg

Half doors are looking sweet! Can't wait to see them finished. Still on my ever-growing to-do list. I was thinking of cutting them in this shape

DvuHvXch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom