Value of Checking Service History – Like a Late Christmas Present :^) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mingles

GOLD Star
Threads
I’ve owned my 1997 LX for 2 months.

As I am the 5th owner, and it has 200K, I was naturally curious as to how it had been maintained throughout its life. Acting on that interest I visited my local Lexus Service Department, VIN and proof of ownership in hand, to see if they could pull my LX’s service history. This request led to a 15 minute lecture, eventually by the Service Manager, as to how vehicle maintenance records were “like medical records” (I kid you not:^) and were not to be shared among past owners. That past history was now the property of Lexus and for liability reasons, I was SOL. Welcome to the World of Lexus. The Pink Panties came already knotted :^)

That was a month ago. This morning I read a post here on MUD that referenced being able to pull your Toyota service history online. I dug a bit on the internet and, sure enough, Lexus lets you do the same thing. The ironic thing is, you don’t even have to show ownership, you just need to register and have a valid VIN. As an addition to CARFAX, this tool allows a more detailed history search for any Lexus you are thinking of buying. The search link is below.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/registration/register.do?src=serviceHistory

My service history was mostly routine except for one entry in 2002. At 48K the head gasket blew, the truck was towed to the dealer, and the engine/cooling system was rebuilt by Lexus under warranty. Woo Hoo!!! I felt like a kid at Christmas :^) That is one unknown I can check off my list.

My favorite entry though is this customer complaint (remember, we are talking Lexus owners)…

“DIFFERENTIAL LOCK IS NOT WORKING, THIS VEHICLE IS ALWAYS IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE. ENCLOSED INSERT IN OWNERS MANUAL FOR CUSTOMER TO EXPLAIN THIS IS THE WAY THE SYSTEM FUNCTIONS. OK AT THIS TIME”

Moral of the story… Take the time to run your VIN. You may be surprised what turns up.

"FRONT SUSPENSION ~|~FOUND 3 OF 4 BOLTS MISSING ON THE RIGHT FRONT STEERING KNUCKLE. ~|~INSPECTED AND FOUND RF STEERING KNUCKLE HAS 3 MISSING BOLTS ONE BROKEN OFF IN KNUCKLE HOUSING ALSO NEDS STEERING ARM ON RF DUE TO ELONGATED MOUNTING HOLES ~|~9189 REPLACED RF STEERING KNUCKLE AND STEERING ARM...ALSO REPLACED STUDS, NUTS AND TRUNION BEARINGS. REPLACED STEER ING KNUCKLE SEALS ON BOTH SIDES TEST DROVE...STEERING WHEEL RECENTERED AFTER ALIGNMENT"

Back in 2006, and at 92k miles. I bought the truck at 115k miles last year. He also had the head gasket done, though not with Toyota. I have full paper records at least.

... Lexus lets you do the same thing. The ironic thing is, you don’t even have to show ownership, you just need to register and have a valid VIN. ...

Did they send you an owners manual? In the old days, when you registered they sent out a free owners manual and pen.:cool:

Did they send you an owners manual? In the old days, when you registered they sent out a free owners manual and pen.:cool:

You piqued my curiosity... I just logged back on to the MyLexus site and ordered my free owners manual. We'll see if it comes with a pen :)

Checked my 96 lexus and headgaskit also replaced at 62K and head milled.

Why such an early headgaskit failure?

So this is common to lexus ? If it was done did they put a better gaskit? It was done in 2002. Thanks

Mine was serviced throughout lexus dealer WOW previous owners have $$$$$ to pay.

Last edited:
Its a great resource. A few years back I found that a cruiser I just purchased had 100k more miles than the seller was reporting. He turned back the miles some how before selling it. Lucky for him I got my money back.

Mine shows no major repairs but does show the 30K, 60K & 90K maintenance was done. Anybody know what the 60K & 90K consist of?

I don't have a 'maintenance' manual, only the owners manual.

I checked my service history at two local Toyota dealers, and both of them had incomplete history's. Both times they left off Toyota dealer service information that showed up on my car fax. Both times they told me that the service history they gave me was complete, and covered all dealer work done by any Toyota dealer ship in the US. It would seem that that is incorrect, since both of them didn't list any of the numerous items that the dealer repaired listed on my car fax. So you may not get a complete history by going to your local dealer.

I've tried setting up an account 3 times now on that web site, i keep getting "Operation Failed. Please try again later" on their second step. Maybe all the mud members trying to set up accounts are over loading their system. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was able to pull a few records for the Lexus when I got. Nothing in the system for the 80.

I was underwhelmed. It showed one oil change and some brake work done in 2009 two owners ago in TX in the DFW area and the oil change I had done at the world's most underwhelming Toyota dealer here in GA a couple of months ago. That's it.

I suspect most of the Toyota dealer work from 1994 to 2009 was never databased.

Doesn't work for us in Canada even after inputting an US address. Says there is no record, but recognizes the VIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom