v6 & ifs gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 v6 5speed pickup... im lookin to get some 5.29's for my truck. I already have the tires in mind. I have a family member that does gears and lockers qquite frequently down in the southern (tri cities) part of washington state. he said he can install the gears for me, and show me how to do it, so i can learn while we go. He just told me to get the parts needed and bring it down to him on a weekend. I'm lookin to order my parts from randys ring & pinion, due to the proximity of where i am, and where their main warehouse is. My question is.... Whats the big difference between the "master install kit" and the "minor install kit". I'm lookin to save as much money for school as possible, while getting the gears to push my 35's. thanks for any info you guys may have. :cheers:

I believe the difference is the master kit contains everthing...crush sleeves, the hardware,lock-tite,marking compund,shims and new bearings/races

the other kit contains the same minus bearing/races

Yup, the difference is usually the Master kit has all new bearings: pinion and carrier. Sometimes the master kit also includes more shims for the pinion, and the basic kit won't include a tube of RTV. If you're just swapping gears and the bearings are in good shape, you don't need the full kit. Waaay too many perfectly good bearings are tossed into the trash. Your front diff bearings are probably perfectly fine, for instance.

BTW, toss the kit pinion seal into the trash, use a Toyota OEM one. Much better.

great info guys!! thats what i was readin on randys, but just wanted to make sure i was understanding things correctly. The guy at the local shop i called tried tellin me that it was basically essential to use the master kit every time. i think ill save my money, and just go for it. one more thing...250 to install the rear, and 325 for the front. sound like a decent price? i got a family member who is more than willing to help, and is only about an hour drive. he does a lot of mudding in fords with big blocks...would the gear installation be similar enough that it shouldnt cause too much headache? im sure the front will be a new experience, but is it going to basically be the same procedure just on a different 3rd? thanks again!

Dont do it. Just call us and get the right stuff coming. And we are closer to you!

91 v6 5speed pickup... im lookin to get some 5.29's for my truck. I already have the tires in mind. I have a family member that does gears and lockers qquite frequently down in the southern (tri cities) part of washington state. he said he can install the gears for me, and show me how to do it, so i can learn while we go. He just told me to get the parts needed and bring it down to him on a weekend. I'm lookin to order my parts from randys ring & pinion, due to the proximity of where i am, and where their main warehouse is. My question is.... Whats the big difference between the "master install kit" and the "minor install kit". I'm lookin to save as much money for school as possible, while getting the gears to push my 35's. thanks for any info you guys may have. :cheers:

Why 5.29s with 35" tires? Seems a little aggressive unless you have an overdrive unit of some sort. Go with minor kits from JTS or Yukon Gear. I'm using Yukon's, they were great to deal with.

5.29's with 35's is less than a 5% "overgearing" And when you take into account the added weight of the tires, you're going to need it. 75 mph will still be less than 4k rpm.

x2. My 35s and 5.29s are about perfect.

5.29's and 35's sounds about right, and as to your ? about how hard it is to swap gears compared to a ford and such it is not any different, all axles have a carrier that the ring gear attaches to and similar mounting in the housing, if your family member has done many before save the cash and just get the parts and do it with your family member, you can put the rest toward school trust me i know what that is like paying for school

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom