UltraGauge Review (OBD-II Gauge/Diagnostic Tool) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as voltage, that scangauge reports it, I always assumed it was like the other info, that it was displaying the ECU info. Surprised the Ultragauge doesn't do that, probably the only thing I would miss from my SCII.

To check if it reports readiness, I think you could check codes, then clear them, and check them again, to see if it displays anything, like "ready", "not ready" etc..

readiness flags from my understanding are for confirming a circuit valid state. So if you clear a CEL all the flags are removed. Now as you drive the truck and the conditions for each circuit are met the flags are set active. Now when the truck is scanned at the inspection station all the flags must be active to pass the vehicle.

Why the HO for this Eric?

If you want to check whether your emissions check will be valid, before you drive there and pay your money, it helps to see if the monitors are "ready", otherwise you wasted your time/money. It won't pass if it is not "ready". That's about the extent of it, I think.

... Now when the truck is scanned at the inspection station all the flags must be active to pass the vehicle.

That would depend on the state? We are allowed one not ready flag. Mine is the EGR, due to having a resistor in place of the thermistor.

I haven't seen any indication of readiness data. But it is not something that I'm worried about, for that type of work I use a real scanner. Have limited experience with the S/G but the not ready didn't tell what was not ready, grabbed the real scanner and problem solved.

I just got this for quick, handy, mainly temp data, ie a gauge. Looks like it will work for that very well and hard to beat for the $.:hillbilly:

yes, what happened on my last smog test is that I had checked to see if there were any codes (there weren't any) but in doing so, I had inadvertedly reset all the codes and the monitors were no longer showing ready. Since it takes quite a bit of driving to reset those to ready I failed the test.
The problem is that I did not have a scanner that tells if the monitors are ready or not so I had to wait several days of driving before going back to redo the smog test, trying to be sure it would all be ready again. There was some uncertainty about that but it worked and I passed.

If the readiness is what your after, is $100 more worth it... People reading this should wonder that.

For me, Engine temperature, Check engine code, and remove it plus instant MPG and average MPG is amazing for $58-9 = $49

If Voltage is your concern there is the scan gauge for $140+

For most users the Ultra Gauge should suffice, it will do the main advantages at a low cost.

I have a P0401 and my Land Cruiser is a 95 with OBD2, the smog check guy didn't even connect the machine to my computer.. even though 15 minutes earlier I had removed the battery to reset the code haha.

If the readiness is what your after, is $100 more worth it... People reading this should wonder that.

For me, Engine temperature, Check engine code, and remove it plus instant MPG and average MPG is amazing for $58-9 = $49

If Voltage is your concern there is the scan gauge for $140+

For most users the Ultra Gauge should suffice, it will do the main advantages at a low cost.

I have a P0401 and my Land Cruiser is a 95 with OBD2, the smog check guy didn't even connect the machine to my computer.. even though 15 minutes earlier I had removed the battery to reset the code haha.

ScanGauge voltage is not actual battery voltage, it reads ECU voltage, lower then actual battery voltage.

Technically they are supposed to. But since OBD-II wasn't required until '96, sometimes they won't even look for it if it's a '95.

Ahhh, ODBI :flipoff2:

my 2 cents, I am happy with the guage and the price, pics attached where I mounted it in my 80, I unscrewed the obd connector and was able to route all the cabling and the connector behind the plastic, came out nice. Since I did not use the arm, and I liked the quality of it, I retrofitted it to fit my tom tom, which stock has a horrible windshield mount that constantly falls off.

Noah
tom tom.jpg
tom tom 2.jpg
tom tom 3.jpg

Not a bad spot. Do you find it difficult to read the display at all since it's not pointed at you?

nope, not really, driving to work in the early am today (still dark) and it lit up fine. For me it is not data that I need to look at constantly really, so this was a good place for it for me. I wanted it outta the way a bit.

Of course I would see this thread just after installing my SGII ...

I ordered my Ultragauge last friday, showed up Monday. This is a sweet unit for the price. Interestingly, most trouble code readers don't talk to my 97, this found it, talked to it, and worked out the usual 33 gauges. I'm interested in temps primarily and MPG secondarily so this is the right unit for me. Looking forward to playing with the unit and not crashing while being distracted....

Has anyone figured out the Tranny temp through this thing? Also, fuel level finds no sending unit, I assume that is common for this vehicle.

Has anyone figured out the Tranny temp through this thing? Also, fuel level finds no sending unit, I assume that is common for this vehicle.

No tranny temp, and no fuel level sending unit. There is a sending unit of course, but not sure if it bypasses the ECU or it's a proprietary code....

my 2 cents, I am happy with the guage and the price, pics attached where I mounted it in my 80, I unscrewed the obd connector and was able to route all the cabling and the connector behind the plastic, came out nice. ...
Noah

Great idea to remount the plug. I've had my cover off to keep the unit plugged in and it was buggin me looking at the fuses. I just remounted mine and feel better already.:D

Great idea to remount the plug. I've had my cover off to keep the unit plugged in and it was buggin me looking at the fuses. I just remounted mine and feel better already.:D

Depending on your emission testing, may want to remount the plug before taking it in. Here they won't test unless the plug is mounted in the factory location. A local took his in and the smog monkey attempted to be helpful by remounting it. Got a tool into a hot connection, shorted some circuits, told him, your junk doesn't work repair it and bring it back. It ran when I drove it here, they gave him one of these :flipoff2: minus the :D.:eek:

Depending on your emission testing, may want to remount the plug before taking it in. Here they won't test unless the plug is mounted in the factory location. A local took his in and the smog monkey attempted to be helpful by remounting it. Got a tool into a hot connection, shorted some circuits, told him, your junk doesn't work repair it and bring it back. It ran when I drove it here, they gave him one of these :flipoff2: minus the :D.:eek:

Also do not leave it plugged in, I was turn down and sighted. The violation was tampering with the ADL. :mad:

Also do not leave it plugged in, I was turn down and sighted. The violation was tampering with the ADL. :mad:

Thanks guys, that's some good advice to remember. I can only imagine what a pain that would be, not to mention any possible fines here in CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom