trying to install longer wheel studs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, I'm trying to install longer wheel studs on my '71 fj40. I was able to swap out the rear axle wheel studs. But when I went to remove the studs from the front axle, they won't slip out. The studs hit part of the drum brakes, unlike the rear axle. They are loose, so is there an easy trick or to I have to really tear into things?

The studs hit part of the drum brakes, unlike the rear axle. They are loose, so is there an easy trick or to I have to really tear into things?

I have always used a press to remove and install them, because they were off the truck for service or for some other reason. If it is just brake parts in the way, then try and remove the shoes…that is about ten seconds worth of effort.

Good luck!

-Steve

Its not the shoes that are in the way, I'm not exactly sure what to call it. I'll figure out a proper name or post a pic later. I'm also thinking that I'll need to have a litttle room to spare, since I'm putting in longer studs.

You will have to pull the hubs.If my memory is working O.K. the backing plate on my 71 is too close to the hub to swap studs.

Do you have a part number and length for the longer stud? This is on my to do list.

I'm using part #641-1628 from Napa. They are a little bit longer and seem to fit fine. I'm not looking forward to pulling the hubs...

Thanks for the number!!

anyone have a link or two, to a good thread on pulling the hubs? I've never done that before.

I am unsure about a '71 but I did this before on a drum brake '75 without pulling the hub. As I remember there was only one spot where a stud would fit from behind the hub and it was tight. I do not know how long your studs are overstock and that may have some negative effect as well. Just rotate it around until you either find room or make room. Once you get the stud started you will need to press it in position. Off the truck you can use a press or BFH as others have mentioned. The trick I use on the the truck is to use several larger flat washers, the lug nut and an impact to pull it in. You'll figure it out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom