transmission questions, FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it's been beaten if not to death at least into a coma and I have searched and read.

220k miles. I've only had a year and haven't driven it much because I've been slowly doing things to it. Suspension, brakes etc.
Well starting to drive it a bit it's got late hard shift points. 1-2, 2.5 to 3k and shifts hard, 2-3 if you let off the throttle a little at 3k it'll shift.

The above got me searching and reading here. I've Rodney flushed, run about 5-6 gals through it and fluid looks good, never looked burnt but was dirty. I've cleaned the strainer/screen minimal debris, magnets had a film of metallic particles but nothing not expected.
I've adjusted the throttle cable/kick down, still playing with it a bit.

The above made it better but still pretty close to the same.

Party trick but only at about 35mph

Options at this point???

I'm going to run the throttle/kick down until it's obviously too lose the tighten up a turn o r so at a time and see if that helps.
Any other ideas ???
Party trick at 60mph or so ???

Just give up and face the fact it needs a rebuild??

Ballpark cost to rebuild if I pull it out vs just drive it to a shop??

If it's not slipping then it should be tunable.

1 Has the hard linkage ever been touched? Does the shifter feel likes it is going into the correct slots for 1-2 2-3 etc?

2 Adjust cable at throttle above engine. I believe this is the kickdown cable that you have adjusted.

3 How is the engine? How does it rev in neutral? Any previous engine issues?

Engine seems fine. I've done nothing to it and it starts fine and runs smooth. Revs in neutral fine. Throttle cable is what I've been tinkering with and will try some fine adjustments this afternoon. Plan was to go way slack then gradually tighten it up. Although I've moved it around mostly from one extreme to the other and not solved the issue. If it's slipping it's not too bad mostly just shifts late and hard into 2nd and doesn't want to shift into 3rd at all unless you rev to close to 3k then back off the throttle slightly then it's quite hard as well.

I've ordered bushing for the shifter should be here tomorrow. It's got a lot of side to side slop but seems to shift into each gear pretty well.

How do you know you won't get be replacing the same problems you've already got??

I'm all about saving some coin.

How do you know you won't get be replacing the same problems you've already got??

Because so few people can rebuild an A440 correctly and/or inexpensively.

i have one for sale that was working well when i took it out. you'll never know about those problems though unless you know and trust the person your buying it from. the problem is they are hard to rebuild correctly so rebuilt can have problems. a used one is still used though and who knows how hard it has been used. i've had mine for the last 150 000km and it worked flawlessly. i never towed more than a snowmobile trailer with it. i changed it out for an h55 because i wanted a standard. i know it was good when removed but how do you know to trust someone you've never met right? either way it a gamble unfortunately. i can vouch that i'm honest but that a very biased opinion and so is everyone else who wants to sell you something. its a tough call. if you have a landcruiser builder that rebuilds these trannys then get it rebuild (might be $$$ though) otherwise replace it with what you believe to be a good used one and take a bit of a risk. lastly replace with h55 that is easier to rebuild but again $$ for converting it.

Forgot to ask; is your fluid level correct? Low fluid could cause shifting issues. There is a hot and cold fill line. If mine was not shifting correctly and showed the correct line on the dip stick I'd add another quart just to be safe but that's me.

Forgot to ask; is your fluid level correct? Low fluid could cause shifting issues. There is a hot and cold fill line. If mine was not shifting correctly and showed the correct line on the dip stick I'd add another quart just to be safe but that's me.

This is true...fluid level MUST be spot on. I'd check it again, just to be certain.

John

fluid level seems good. It solid to the lower mark of the hot range then kinda streaky to a little above hot. I've not gotten back to it in the past couple days as I've been working on cooling and leak issues on an 80, cooling fixed, leak still in process.

I may add a quart and see what happens once I'm satisfied with the throttle cable adj.. If it seems to full I can always drain.

Thanks

I would only add a pint at a time, since ATF expands quite a bit as it heats....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom