Trail Run November, 16th 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll definitely try to make it! Possibly in the GMC since I have developed a fairly severe axle seal leak in the Cruiser. :mad:

Subscribed for details. I have a commitment the morning of the 16th but might be able to catch up in the afternoon, depending on timing and how nasty the weather might be.

Subscribed for details. I have a commitment the morning of the 16th but might be able to catch up in the afternoon, depending on timing and how nasty the weather might be.

Cool!

Any suggestions for trails in your area for this time of year?

I plan to be there...wherever there is. Hopefully it will be a little (OK, A LOT!) less frustrating than last time. (Ask Luke and/or Leon).

S

Yankee Hill was my cross club trail run idea in '12.

I think what is being discussed here is somewhere between Springs and Denver. Yankee Hill is a bit of a haul.

Take care of your winch and your winch will take care of you :D

Have to wonder where we can go.

Living in the springs and getting robbed in the snow department every year, I tend to forget how much snow can be in the higher elevation areas. My family and I camped at Hancock lake this past weekend in 7" of sugar snow, had chains on the locked rear and still had to winch into camp. If that spot looks familiar, that's where the club camped on the BV weekend :) woke up to a couple of moose locking antlers 15 feet outside the camper!

image-3499126303.jpg

I want a picture of the moose!!

I am guessing there weren't too many other people out there, maybe some hunters for 3rd season?

I was talking to Dean from MARC and he was telling me they had a report that FR379 was blocked up to Mt. Baldy (Almagre). We could go check it out.

Last edited:
Haha. I didn't get any pictures of the moose, but we've got a long story about how those things scared the bejesus out of me at 1:40 in the morning. Thought they were bears in my camp. I hesitated to call them moose, because I didn't know we had any moose in Colorado-- had to look that up.
And yes, other than one really nice CJ5 rolling around, we had the place to ourselves. I had no idea there would be that much snow up there. Had a couple tracks where people had tried to get up Pomeroy and been stopped, we cruised to the top with tire Chains. :cool: Broke trail to Hancock lake too, it was all frozen over.

Enough with the highjack, I will try to look at the Charles Wells book tonight. In the meantime, everyone else has that book too. :D In my head, at the beginning of all of this, I was thinking Idaho Springs area. May be too much snow.

Local at Frosty park would be fine with me.

Watching this thread; hoping to join the run, wherever it goes. Don' know yet if I can make it.

Here's an update about Old Stage Rd access: if the club decides to check out Frosty's Park (FR-379) and possibly run Mt Baldy-Amalgre (FR-379A), the club must still approach the trailhead from the west end of Gold Camp Rd in Teller County. The website below shows the opening date for Old Stage Rd has been extended to May 1, 2014.

http://adm.elpasoco.com/publicservices/transportation/pages/RoadProjectDetail.aspx?ProjectId=86

I was talking to Dean from MARC and he was telling me they had a report that FR399 ? was blocked up to Mt. Baldy (Almagre). We could go check it out.

I think a trail repair run would be a good time. If there are some downed trees, maybe we can get some of those gun nuts to shoot them into pieces for us. ;)

Gun Nut.jpg

Enough with the highjack,

Punk.

In my head, at the beginning of all of this, I was thinking Idaho Springs area. May be too much snow.

Don't know the area at all, but would be willing to check it out (weather permitting). Not sure there is much interest from our brethren to the north???, so...

Local at Frosty park would be fine with me.

Watching this thread; hoping to join the run, wherever it goes. Don' know yet if I can make it.

Here's an update about Old Stage Rd access: if the club decides to check out Frosty's Park (FR-379) and possibly run Mt Baldy-Amalgre (FR-379A), the club must still approach the trailhead from the west end of Gold Camp Rd in Teller County. The website below shows the opening date for Old Stage Rd has been extended to May 1, 2014.

http://adm.elpasoco.com/publicservices/transportation/pages/RoadProjectDetail.aspx?ProjectId=86

Frosty Park/ Mt. Baldy from the west side? :steer:
(thanks for the info Jim, hope you can make it).

Gun Nut.jpg

I will never be the same, my burning eyes :crybaby:

I just may have to use my moderator kung-fu to delete that nasty picture...

I hesitated to call them moose, because I didn't know we had any moose in Colorado-- had to look that up.

Yep, ran across this guy scouting this year, just after sunrise.

Moose 2013.jpg

Moose 2013.jpg

Last edited:
Future Idea

Well, Travis, it seems interest in a Meet 'n Greet on Nov 16 with the Rising Sun group is waning. The last post on the their forum thread was Oct 28. No new trail suggestions from them while our club is leaning toward nearby Fsr 379 into Frosty's Park. I appreciate your effort to keep our club on the trail regardless!

Here is a trail suggestion to keep in mind for a future Meet 'n Greet with the Sun gorup: Slaughterhouse Gulch. Traildamage says it is open year around. I last drove it three years ago in the summer. I don't know it's current condition. It has some pretty good challenges. A couple places would need special caution if slippery from winter conditions:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

The turn-off to Park County Rd 43A near Bailey on US 285 is only about 24 miles from Denver up US 285. Our group might travel north out of Woodland Park to Bailey, via highway 67 and 126. It's more scenic than I-25/W-470/ US-285, but wouldn't be fun if roads were icy. Google Maps says the Woodland Park/Deckers/Bailey route would take about 90 minutes from Woodland Park.

I will never be the same, my burning eyes :crybaby:

I was going to Photoshop a club members face in that photo, but I thought that might be a bit too much.... Yes, I had boundaries. ;)

Here is a trail suggestion to keep in mind for a future Meet 'n Greet with the Sun gorup: Slaughterhouse Gulch. Traildamage says it is open year around. I last drove it three years ago in the summer. I don't know it's current condition. It has some pretty good challenges. A couple places would need special caution if slippery from winter conditions:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

Looks like a cool trail, I'll definitely have to add that to my "to do" list.

Well, Travis, it seems interest in a Meet 'n Greet on Nov 16 with the Rising Sun group is waning.

Agreed. So, what do you guys think...

Woodland Park Western Gas Station @ 8:30

Hit Frosty Park & Baldy.

Sound like a plan? :steer:

Anybody have a problem pushing the meet time to 9am (or at least leave WP at 9) for Brad and I to make it up from Pueblo?

Awesome!

9:00 it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom