Towing with a second gen Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I have searched quite a bit on other sites about towing with a Tundra. I keep going back and forth between a diesel or a Tundra. Most of what I tow are cruisers on a car trailer, probably in the 7500-8000 range, but a camper is on the horizon. Frequency is varied, sometimes I will tow this amount 5-6 times/month, other times it's maybe once. I am not really concerned about mileage, it's pretty mute between diesel and gas prices.

So, is 7500-8000 too much for these? I know the tow cap is about 10K, +/- 500 lbs depending on the tundra model. I'd like to hear from people who ideally have towed/owned a diesel and a tundra with similar or larger loads. I know a cummins/F250 is apples to oranges but my main concern is tow-ability and safety. I want to leave enough safety margin and do not like to push the limits in this category.

Everyone I know that tows with a Tundra had no complaints, other than never passing a gas station. I've been seeing goosenecks and 5th wheel campers more and more too. However, having pulled gooseneck and bumper pull trailers with a SRW and a DRW, I won't do a SRW again...the added control on mountain downhill curves is noticeable.

I owned a '95 f350 crew cab srw power stroke (ex Air Force rig) that I sold mainly because it was 2wd and kept getting stuck on my property.

I've towed with a '95 Chevy ext cab 2wd c1500

I've towed with my '07 tundra with 5.7 and my '13 tundra crew max with 5.7 both 4wd

All have towed similar loads either an fj55 spring over with 36" or an 80 with a fat ass. As well as my Hilux (lighter load)

With that background, the tundras have pulled similar on grades in the hills of PA going up to Rausch Creek and into the hills of WV and KY

The tundras will get 9mpg pulling 8k loads. The powerstroke would get 12 mpg

Both would pull at 75mph easily and have similar stopping power.

I could see the advantage of using a drw, but that pretty much makes it a devoted tow rig and I use my trucks on a daily basis for my work.

My '07 just turned 200,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the info.

Let me say, I am a huge dieselhead but it has to make sense. The new diesels are not where they should be, otherwise I would have gone that route. And paying almost as much as a new ones for a 2006 cummins 5.9MC doesnt compute with me. The maintenance on them gets old too. So I figured I could deal with a slight MPG decrease, knowing it was less per gallon.

I haven't decide which way to go, I just wanted to hear some feedback on how the Tundra tows. Sounds like it would be good for my application.

I have owned a 2004 2500 duramax 4wd. I put 160k+ miles on it. Now I am in a 2007 tundra crewmax 4wd 5.7 with 156k miles. Mostly towing 5-7k lbs. The major differences was the stability on the interstate. The 2500 was better. But it should be with the extra weight. Duramax city mpg 14.5 towing 9-11mpg. 5.7 tundra 13.5 city and 9mpg. Both trucks lifted on 34x11 tires.

I have owned a 2004 2500 duramax 4wd. I put 160k+ miles on it. Now I am in a 2007 tundra crewmax 4wd 5.7 with 156k miles. Mostly towing 5-7k lbs. The major differences was the stability on the interstate. The 2500 was better. But it should be with the extra weight. Duramax city mpg 14.5 towing 9-11mpg. 5.7 tundra 13.5 city and 9mpg. Both trucks lifted on 34x11 tires.

A weight distributing hitch made all the difference with my '07. It settled everything down and now I tow 7k loads as if they aren't there and it tracks great.

A weight distributing hitch made all the difference with my '07. It settled everything down and now I tow 7k loads as if they aren't there and it tracks great.

Good to know. It wasn't really a complaint just a difference between to two.

Stump- are you towing a camper, boat, car hauler???

Thanks that's the info I wanted to know.

cool, very similar to what I would tow. And I would get a WD hitch if I went with the Tundra. Just need to sell my 62 or trade it in.....

Years ago when I lived in NoVA, I towed my 40 with my 80. HATED IT. Had a few white knuckle experiences in the mountains of WV. I would and have used my 80 with larger loads for short distances, but that's only as a backup. Towing with the diesel Excursion really set the high bar for me.

I have an 08 tundra purchased new with 250 currently on it. Have towed my 40, 60 , and 80 thousands of miles. Missouri to colorado, texas, and other locations. This summer with almost 250k on the truck is the first time i have noticed a little difficulty towing heavy loads. Both my 80 and 60 are heavily armored and usually have large camping loads on top of truck. I would guess I am pushing the 10k amount with trailer, cruiser and gear. Can accelerate up any hill. As stated fuel is only issue. Running interstate to colorado at 75+ will be down less than 8mpg. If your on side roads and can run around 65 then it will still get over 10 hauling.

If I was pulling heavy loads weekly I would probable go diesel but if not then no qualms about using my tundra. The only addition needed is rear airbags to keep truck level.

One note, 250,000 miles and the only repairs to the truck have been a starter and rear wheel bearings. Lets see you get by with that small amount of repairs on a domestic diesel.

The other complaint is older tundras only had 25 gallon tanks. I see the new ones offer 35 or slightly larger tank option. This would be nice as when you getting 8 mpg you got to start looking for gas stations at about 150 miles. Makes for a lot of stops on a 1000 mile run.

Yes the tank size on my 2011 is very small 26 I think, It has a very mild lift with a little bigger all-terrains and bumpers and bed/roof rack combo that makes it slightly less aerodynamic. I get 12 mpg and towing forces fill-ups way too often. I recently researched the transfer-flow upgrade replacement tank that bumps it up to 46 gallons with an expected range over 600 miles! This is high on my to do list and would greatly weigh on my decision if I were to buy a tundra again. Try to get the bigger fuel tank if possible. If not you'll be spending $1,200 like me on a replacement.

As far as towing goes, I wouldn't hesitate to haul a loaded down land cruiser on a trailer. I have air bags and of course a brake controller (some of the newer ones offer the integrated brake controller). This setup is all I'll ever need personally.

Thanks. @REKCUT yes, you are correct. A diesel would need much more maintenance than that. This is one of the big reasons why I am considering a Tundra.

The Tundra shares much with the 200 Series Land Cruiser... so it is very HD, as one would expect from Toyota. They tow great, power is good, add the SC if you want more. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

My 08 has airbags and I have an equalizer hitch to tow my Roo travel trailer. I would guestimate that fully loaded with family, water, propane, generators, bikes, etc, I am pushing 7-8k in the trailer and extra weight in the truck. The truck tows fine. Turning radius is amazing with the Tundra. I think you would be fine, but I do long for the longer range of a diesel. Maybe I will go with one of those cool 46 gallon tranfer flow fuel tanks... HMMMM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom