Total cost of ownership data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud,

Bottom line up front - the cruiser has cost me about $1,650 to maintain/repair per year on average. The total cost of ownership has been about $50,000 over 12 years.

I've been driving my cruiser as my commuter, road tripper (sometimes towing small camp trailer) and off roader since 2010. I bought the truck with 120,000 miles for $16,000. Twelve years later it has 285,000 miles (and "worth more" in the current market than I paid neglecting inflation). Its never left me stranded and still runs essentially like the day I bought it.

My ethic with this truck has been to make minor mods that fit its intended use, but nothing more. I've also been highly proactive on maintenance. I've done basic mods and maintenance myself, and hired out some (more in later years) to local shops. I've kept pretty good notes on the cost for everything and figured I would share this now. Note, I didn't bother adding every oil change in here, just the 30k ones.

A PDF of my spreadsheet is attached. The first page is a roll up of all costs. The second page lists "refurb" items, I tried to keep refurb/repair separate from mods. The remaining pages have the maintenance costs for each 30,000 mile interval with odd items between added in.

I hope this is helpful or informative. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• 2001 LC TCO.pdf
    75.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
only $1650 a year in maintenance to keep your rig w/ 285k miles on the road is a steal.

For others out there who want a way to keep track or repairs and cost of ownership, below is a link to a spreadsheet where you can list everything out. It will add up mileage and cost and show it in the upper right corner. Just make a copy and you can edit for your own use.

Vehicle log

Last edited:
only $1650 a year in maintenance to keep your rig w/ 285k miles on the road is a steal.

Agreed! Compared to $40,000 or more spent on a new(er) vehicle that serves all the same functions - I can keep the LC on the road for 20+ more years - and it gets cooler every year.

At my current ~10k miles per year, I'd be hitting that $40k with 525k miles on the odometer 🤠

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom