Torsion bar adjustment procedure. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just did this today, then saw this post.

(Non AHC) Probably a bad idea cranking the bolt WITHOUT taking weight of the tires. Just put a floor jack in the middle of the frame (between control arms) and lift the body up 3" or so - keep on the ground. Otherwise, you are trying to crank up a spring that is already loaded - not sure if the bolt is designed for excessive torque (It just holds spring in place).

I found it took less than 2 turns to rise it up an inch (but going from 19" (too low) to 20". I cranked them exactly the same amount, and ride height increased the same amount. I raised the vehicle (1 turn) about 1/2" a week ago, and it settled back down. Will check in a week.

Just finished installing a heavy 2.5 OME lift. I have yet to install the front or rear bumper.

I set the torsion bars at 55cm from the middle of hub to fender.
Drove around the block and they settled to 53cm
Reset the torsion bars back up to 55cm and drove around again. They resettled back to 53cm.

Is this normal or did I screw up the install?
Your truck is a female.
Set it at 58 and then drive around the block. That way 55 will seem like a compromise . . .

EDIT-
This is a good idea - I noticed my rears rubber bushings (uppers) look a little twisted when installing rear springs yesterday I've have airlift bags, so ride height was changing frequently. Will go back and loosen/retorque both front and rear control arms.

My OME torsion bars were similar - I had to crank the driver's side quite a bit more.

Anytime I adjust my torsion bars, I get a 22mm and a 24mm wrench and loosen the lower control arm bolts. This will allow the bushings in the lca to rotate freely until final ride height is reached. Then, I lock them down in final height position. They are designed to work within a certain range - without doing this it will bind the lca bushings and causes weird handling because they are never in a constant state of "rest."

Since you are starting from scratch, you ought to eliminate the preload in the bushings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom