TLCA Name Change? (1 Viewer)

Should TLCA change their name?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are you ok with the Toyota Land Cruiser Association changing their name?

Yes or no. I know there are some who are indifferent, but it will be voted on tonight. Let me know and I'll cast UCs vote.

EDIT: poll question needs clarification...

Poll should read: Should TLCA have a vote to consider changing the name Toyota Land Cruiser Association to something else?

Again, should we vote to consider it? yes or no?

EDIT AGAIN: BOD voted against the possibility of a name change. TLCA will remain TLCA.

Last edited:
Change to what??? And what is the driver here... so we all buy new stickers and t-shirts? I don't get it, with this limited info....

:beer: Ramon

Sorry. I made an assumption I shouldn't have. Please see here for "discussion" or you can do a search as it has been discussed many different places on MUD. There is even a thread inside UC somewhere that our TLCA delegate Trollhole posted a couple of months back.

I'm sorry I haven't posted anything about this before now, but quite frankly, I didn't expect it to actually come to a vote. It's been talked about for years and always tabled. I just assumed it would be the same this time. Jeff Zepp wrote about it (or at least breifly mentioned it) in the last Toyota Trails.

Found Trolls thread here

Last edited:
Okay just to make sure everyone understands.

"Just to clarify. We are voting to decide to have a vote on the name change, not an actual vote on changing the name."

So the poll should really ask, "Should we have a vote to change the TLCA name?"

I don't see how changing the name is going to "fix" any issues TLCA perceives. It will only alienate the founding base of the membership. They can attract new members through different marketing strategies and keep the current members by holding onto the history of LC's at the core of the association. I think most Toyota truck owners could easily see the evolution of the original FJ40/45's into the modern line up of trucks and SUVs.

No - Keep it the same

I vote no on any name change

I'm sorry if I offend any FJC or 4Runner owners, but this has been primarily a Land Cruiser association and I prefer to keep it that way. What's next, opening it up to Heeps?

Just my $.02

Keith Ramsdell aka MtPCruiser

Change to what??? And what is the driver here... so we all buy new stickers and t-shirts? I don't get it, with this limited info....

:beer: Ramon

I think the driving force is declining membership. Someone pitched the idea to gain more members by having a name that is not "exclusionary" of other Toyota 4WD vehicles. Personally I think its a poor marketing strategy.

If TLCA wants to keep renewals up and attract more new members, then the strategy should focus on where the value is greatest to its members.
Some will do it out of history (members since 1976 and so on).
Some will do it just for the magazine.
Some will do it to attend sanctioned events.
Etc... Lots of reasons and combinations of reasons, but TLCA needs to figure out what drives people the most. I guarantee you its not the name.

Partially I think Jeff Zepp knows this and wants to put the issue to rest, instead of tabling the motion another year.

Thanks for the clarification above.

Partially I think Jeff Zepp knows this and wants to put the issue to rest, instead of tabling the motion another year.

I wholeheartedly believe this to be the case tonight. Jeff has his head on straight and only has the best interest of the club at heart. That being said, this issue has been discussed/debated/argued for too long (literally years) and he's ready to be done. Ask the membership and go from there. That's what is happening tonight.

I dont think changing the name will increase membership.....already there are 4Runner and other members...but most that offroad already own Land Cruisers....or the FJ Cruiser. Like it or not...Toyota meant for it to carry on the heritage of the FJ40.

Dont change the name....dont change anything.

I would belong just for magazine....never been to TLCA event so cant talk about that....love em or hate em the TRAIL TEAMS for FJ Cruisers did more to help TLCA membership than anything else the past 4 years...but now they are gone. A lot of people do not even know about TLCA....if it is the accepted and recognized club of the motor company....then why not get with Toyota to get memberships issued for anyone that buys a Land Cruiser or FJ Cruiser world wide....kind of how many gun shops do for the NRA Membership. This gets them interested, raises awareness, and possibly puts them in touch with local cruiser heads....the rest is up to us as members to keep them coming back through local events.

then why not get with Toyota to get memberships issued for anyone that buys a Land Cruiser or FJ Cruiser world wide....kind of how many gun shops do for the NRA Membership. This gets them interested, raises awareness, and possibly puts them in touch with local cruiser heads....the rest is up to us as members to keep them coming back through local events.

This is an excellent point Brock regardless of a name change. We have a UC member who has looked into what it would take to accomplish something like this.

I voted "yes" to having a vote on changing the name. On that, I would vote "no".

At a minimum, this is at least getting people talking about TLCA for a change. Any publicity is good publicity... unless you are Tiger.

I just got off the teleconference. TLCA will not change it's name.

2 yes
1 abstain
lots of no...I didn't count

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom