Tire Tech Question for Michelin LTX M/S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
Greetings,
I have 4 Michelin 275/70/R16 Tires on my 80. 3 of the four are rated at a max pressure of 35 psi but one(right rear) is rated at 44 psi.
The three are marked with 114S while the fourth is marked 114H.

Anyone know the diff?

What up yo?

Later
John

There are two different versions of the LTX. The 114H was specified for the 80 series and the 114S for the 100.

It sounds as though the previous owner may have brought the original spare into service and bought 3 new (incorrect) tires.

The 114H is a better tire. I have no idea why the tire was down-graded for the 100 series (unless it was because of the IFS...;) )

There are two different versions of the LTX. The 114H was specified for the 80 series and the 114S for the 100.

It sounds as though the previous owner may have brought the original spare into service and bought 3 new (incorrect) tires.

The 114H is a better tire. I have no idea why the tire was down-graded for the 100 series (unless it was because of the IFS...;) )

The difference is in the speed rating and heat resistance. The HR rated tire is HR rated with a 440AA UTOG rating which means 115+mph, and 130 max speed rating.

The SR rated tire is rated withg a 440AB UTOG rating which means 100+ mph, and a max speed rating of 112 mph. Both tires have the same max tire load of 2601 at 44psi.

Tire Rack sells both, the HR rated tire is 3USD more than the SR rated tire. Well worth the extra margin, especially if towing.

ST

Bringing this thread back from the dead!
Cruiserdan, any idea of the ride quality diff. between 114S and 114h?
Also you mentioned 114H was a better tire, in what regard do you mean?
I had old 114S on my 80, and just put new 114H on my 100.
Ride is stiffer than I like now on the 100, I was surprised, for a Michelin tire. Maybe just need to air down.
I read that the 114H is rated longer wear range, better stopping distance and stiffer sidewalls. I guess I answered my own question? It just feels a bit more more jarring than the 114s's did on the 80.
Thanks!
CA CRUISIN

The H has a higher speed rating. I do not know the specific design variances.

Thanks Cruiserdan. Verdict after installation is the H rides a little stiffer than the S.
Had the S prior - I prefer their ride feel, even if they don't last as long.

UPDATE: I had Michelin warranty the 114H, they swapped them out and replaced with the 114S.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
I am so happy with the ride quality improvement.
Posting this for anyone who happens upon it, trying to make the decision (like i was) whether to go for the H or S rating on their 100 series.

Mine's a 1999, granted could probably use new shocks but they're not too terrible.

I notice difference across the board:
114S: (for me, better than H rating; also, S is the OEM rec.)
Cornering is better, they are quieter on the road, softer over bumps and potholes and highway marker dots.
They seem better rated for the stock suspension meaning they work in tandem with the suspension better than the H's did.
Ride a wee bit lower.

114H:
It felt like the H's were sort of fighting against the shocks. They were more rigid in their sidewalls. Feels like a tougher tire. Noticeable tread noise during cornering. Truck sits a wee bit higher in these (looked good). Kind of jarring or clattery over road bumps and highway dots. Inflation was 32/33 psi (OEM rec.)

I am pretty surprised at how much difference there is between the 2 tire ratings in terms of the above-mentioned. So happy I stuck to my guns and had them swapped. The shop's tire tech agreed the S's ride much better after driving both sets. Since their shop told me to get the H's, it wasn't too hard to agree to the swap back to OEM rec. of "S".

Hope this helps someone make their decision!

Last edited:
That is a tricky situation regarding tire selection, certain that many have made the same perceived upgrade in tire quality and disappointed in the ride quality.

I agree with you CoffeeGeek.

What's weird is the 80-series OEM tire is Michelin 114H... a stiffer tire.
100-series OEM tire for my 1999 100 series is Michelin 114S; slightly softer for a heavier vehicle.

My 80 I sold recently had I think 3 S's and 1 H (like the original poster).

Going forward I'd recommend people go with the factory rec. ratings if they're buying Michelins. My $0.02...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom