16" Michelin Defenders to Bridgestone KO2s, how much worse is the NVH? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm also not sorry. I want a 2023 take on it. I guess I want to know if I'm being crazy or not here. Read on.

I need to get new tires on my 2001 LX. Completely stock aside from un-AHC-ing it with a LC suspension swap directly from Toyota. I've got Michelin defender LTX tires on my stock 16" wheels. They lasted a long time, are quiet and seem to work pretty well for my uses:

-Hauling a small boat
-Hauling a 6x12 utility trailer with a bunch of crap on it
-Hauling my family around (school dropoff, groceries, events, whatever)
-Doing misc things on my hilly wooded 2-acre property which may also include the utility trailer or dragging other things around
-I currently do not offroad/overland, but as the kids grow up we might do more camping/etc, and I like the concept of a little overkill on functionality

Right now, a new set of Defenders and KO2s are a negligible amount of price difference - I'll be at probably $1500-ish for four of either type, give or take $100 or so. So I don't care about that part. The LX is going to be my DD for the next 6-36 months while I look for a 200-series or 250-series to become the DD. Then the 100 will become the reliable spare car.

I suspect that the Defenders are the logical choice here, as the noise/vibration is basically negligible. But the KO2s are appealing to me in the sense that they are more of a "get s*** done" tire and I think the 100 might inherit more of those duties in the long run. I know the KO2's will have more NVH, but HOW BAD IS IT, in real life? Are they going to hum loudly AF on the highway? Is my steering going to wander back and forth? etc... any opinions are welcome.

It's been my experience that pretty much anything will sound loud compared to the Michelin's. They are by far the quietest and most comfortable tire for the lc/lx. I've never had a set of KO2's but I have had other all terrain tires (not mud tires) and they were all loud compared to the ltx's.

You’ve had good performance with the Michelins, IMHO, stick with them. They’re a great tire for your use and what you “might do” is not here yet. The grass always looks greener on other hills. Michelin is a quality brand. Bridgestone is too, but changing brands “just because”, may have some hidden negatives that may have you wishing you didn’t switch six months from now.

I’m seriously considering the newish BFG Trail Terrains for my 04LC. I’ve had the Toyo Open Country AT3s for about 50k — they are humming more than I’d like and I spend a lot of miles on the road. Michelin are my other choice.

I currently have Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S and they are starting to get incredibly loud, to the point I notice it every time I drive. I’m most likely going with the Michelins for the very fact that they’re extremely quiet and I’m mostly on highway anyways. I’d stick with what you know works personally.

From your description, your rig is a road rig. You can not to much (if any) better than the defenders. I have run multiple sets on Cruisers and 4Runners. They are not as good a snow and ice tire as a dedicated studless winter road tire, but they are pretty darn good still and , well... they are not a dedicated studless winter tire. ;)

Buy your next set and do not look back

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom