Timing belt help everything lined up turned the motot 2 time and now they dont (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So what do I do now

I had all 3 marks lined up put the lower cover on put the harmonic balancer on turned the motor till the ballancer was on 0 the second time and the drivers side lined up the passenger side was no where to be found

What do i do now ?

IIRC: You're ok, marks don't line up after set the first time then rotated 360. Hopefully someone else will confirm as it's been about 5 years since my last 100 TB job.

I am not talking about the marks on the belt I am talking about the marks on the cam pulley,

I just rotated it again and the passenger side is 7 tooth marks behind the drivers side. I did it 2 times and it stayed the same so I assume something must have moved some how after I put the lower cover on. i am not sure how it moved .

How do I go about getting it all lined up again ? just pull the harmonic ballancer agian then line up the 2 cam pulleys ? how is the best way to move the cam pulleys ?

I also pulled the pin on the tentioner is there a way to reset it ?

Yes, you probably need to pull the balancer again to verify where the mark is on the crank pulley. I would unbolt the tensioner and remove. Then you can compress in a vise or otherwise and insert a pin or small nail that you can pull out once you have reinstalled. I would think back and try to figure out how it moved 7 teeth on you. That is a pretty significant move. As far as moving the cam pulleys, I would either turn them by bolt or by some kind of a spreader across the inner portion of the pulley.

the only time it could have moved is when I pulled the belt onto the driver side cam but I am 100% sure I checked the marks after I put it on.

of when I put on the harmonic ballancer it some how moved but I dont see how

or when I let off the tentioner it moved.

I pulled the lower cover and the mark is in the right spot compared to the passenger side cam mark.

I guess it would have been better to let a pro do it :)

2nd time is the charm. used a c clamp to compress the tentioner and put the pin back in.

So turned the pass cam to line the marks put the belt back on and spun it over 2 times and everything looks good :) now to finish and see what codes I get when I start it lol

Thanks for the help

Cool. Glad it worked out. From the few videos I've been watching it seems like they turn twice and it all lines up.

yep its my first adventure into the inside of a motor :)

one thing to note on the 2002 tundra a big difference is you dont have to drop the ac condensor but there are 2 bolts that go into the fan pulley bracket one is on top and one is on the bottom and its a bear to get at the lower one. You have to go at the top one from a opening in the wheel well and the lower one I used about 12 inches of extensions to get to it

Good to know. It's on my to-do list.

if you check a couple of my posts this is why I learned to clamp the belt to the cam pulley in the proper place while I get everything bolted up... glad you got it figured out and really glad you found it before you bolted it all back together...

i am still wondering how it moved.

Unless I was just looking at the wrong mark when I checked before putting the ballancer on.

It probably moved when he was placing the belt on the cams. Happened to me, I just couldn't get it to line up again.

So started up and running good?

yep only problem was a leak on the lower radiator hose that I was an idiot not to replace LOL live and learn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom