The official "freight damage" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bii1.com
I'm sure many of you have been victim to freight damage when ordering equipment for your shop. We had a customer book their own freight because they didn't want to use our preferred carrier. They wanted to save a couple bucks on freight and used some cheapo trucking company to deliver a 3,000 pound machine.

.......well this is what showed up on their dock.

DSCF2082.JPG

DSCF2067.JPG

It should have looked like this...............

bb9612-large.jpg

It looks to me like it was paritally disassembled when shipped.....so should it really look like what's above? The legs were not bolted on, correct? Still, your point is valid. Crap happens...make sure your stuff is packaged well and insured whenever using ANY form of shipping.

I've got a good one. I shipped some packages out with a carrier only to find all of them in the middle of an intersection all run over on my way home. At first I was like "ohhh someone lost all their s***!" to "oooh s*** that is my stuff"

They forgot to close the roll up door.

Needless to say that was an interesting meeting with the district manager of the shipping company.

I've had a shipping company use wood and nails into my packages so they could crush it all and put another pallet of something else on top.

I've had companies bring me product with folk lift holes through it and then tell me that's how they got it even though they signed for it undamaged. lol

Best yet was when I brought a few rugs into the US and customs decided they needed to cut a a 1ft x 1ft corner off it and have it tested. Not only that they charged us for the testing. It was a 5,000 dollar rug.

Fawkers. Yes, I too have had the pleasure of the customs departments on both side of the ocean charging me for the luxury of "inspecting" my stuff. Thanks guys....
Not sure why you get charged for that luxury still. Bastids.

This is how I got the center section for my rear end. Most of the screws for the skid plate were gone but the casting was in good shape and not damaged. I got lucky.

a6cd8882-d5d0-9e25.jpg

a6cd8882-d5e2-a915.jpg

We got a heavy duty torch bottle cart delivered to the job some months back. I unwrapped it and saw it was damaged pretty bad.
The guy who bought it called the company and they were gonna send a new one. New one came a week later and was damaged as well! lol

We had four, count em four, lab bench tops in a row come in damaged trying to get one good top for a bench. They were all packaged the exact same way, I would have thought that after two they would have figured out they needed more protection. Grainger made good on them but it was a pita. BTW it was a drop ship item, the mfg was responsible for the shipping and packaging, not Grainger.

I just experienced something similar this week with Amazon. My packages evidently came apart during shipment with UPS. Amazon simply sent me out another package overnight while the original package headed back to Amazon. I called Amazon while having UPS on the other line, listening in. I really didn't have to do much talking as the Amazon dude just took care of everything. UPS lady and I were seriously impressed! Let's see if the packages arrive today as promised!

The pallet/crate for that brake looks weak. Was it bolted down?

I ordered a set of Metal Tech sliders and the freight company lost the shipment. Weeks went by and then Metal Tech was ready to build another set and they showed up. I went down to pick them up and they were not fitting right on the passenger side. I was told if I send them back and nothing was wrong I would have to pay for shipping. :eek:

I did a lot of measuring and sent it back and sure enough it was bent. Those are some heavy duty sliders to get bent in shipping.

I recently had Aluminess (Sportsmobile 4x4 van builders) construct a custom roof rack, ladder and sliders for a 2010 Ford F350 van. Aluminess was fantastic to work with, they constructed and shipped the RR in a timely manner. The shipped the RR via Old Dominion Truck Line and that's when the fun began. When the RR showed up it was loose in the back of the truck, no packaging and missing parts...the driver drug it out of the back of the truck and layed it on the loading dock and even made to comment that he was surprised that they didn't wrap the RR! I called Aluminess and they sent me pictures of the fully crated RR and immediately started working to replace the RR. Both Aluminess and I started dealing with Old Dominion TL it was obvious that they weren't in any hurry to deal with it. Weeks later the new replacement RR showed up. I finally had to write a letter to ODTL that if they didn't pick up the old RR and return it I would start charging them $100 a day for storage from the day I originally received the first RR...It's surprising how quickly that got their attention, they should up, with a manager in two days and removed the RR and returned it.

Again, If you ever need custom aluminum work done I highly recommend Aluminess in California. They pretty much build anything you can think of and are a pleasure to work with.

Good luck.

Ever seen a broken 8274 Warn winch:mad:

Fedex broke mine & wouldn't cover it.... said it was due to packing.

Bastards:mad:

This box contained a computer hard drive. I didn't even bother to open it before I sent it back.

00002-1-1.jpg

Unless there is damage we can't see I'm almost 100% sure that hard drive is fine.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of setting it up and filling it with data, only to have it crash in the near future. It was loose inside of the outer box, if it was wrapped in something it wasn't much.

The other sides of the box, except for 2, were dented in as well. It had to have taken multiple forceful impacts, especially considering how light the thing is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom