The Heart of Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Frankenstein is my '69 FJ40 that I've had for about a year. A PO swapped in an Isuzu diesel engine and I have been trying to figure out exactly what it is. Does anyone know what would fit "pretty closely" and match up with the original 3spd transmission? The plate on top of the engine is worn and the only thing I can make out is Isuzu. Is there anywhere else on the engine I can check, like a serial number, that might give me a clue.
On a side note, is anyone familiar with these tranny's? The shifter is on the floor as well as the 4wd actuator. There is no vacuum for the 4wd. I'm trying to figure out exactly what model/type this is since I've heard most are "3 on the tree" and vacuum actuated knob pullout 4wd. It's stuck in 4wd right now but I'm hoping I can hit with a hammer the thing that slides in and out to engage/disengage. Just hoping it's a little sticky. Frankenstein was swamp thing in his previous life.

Last edited:
Probably a 4bd1t. Would be pretty cool with a 5-speed behind it. Little diesels really benefit from overdrive.

Enginebay.jpg

The best valentine day present, my girlfriend just told me she is getting me some sort of engine cleaner. Any suggestions?

Maybe I can compare pictures of other Isuzu diesel engines. Do engines (gas or diesel) typically have a serial number stamped somewhere?

Yes, there should be a number stamped somewhere. On my Nissan SD22 the number is stamped on a couple bosses cast into the block just behind the injection pump. A number is stamped into the first boss, and SD22 is stamped into the second boss. I'm definitely not saying that this is for sure where your number is going to be, just giving an example of where it MIGHT be. Good luck with your quest.

The best thing to do is look for any machined flat surface, use a piece of sandpaper and carefully clean that surface. If any numbers are stamped on there they should stand out and be visible.

Don

4bd1t's have the exhaust on the left side and intake on the right. That maybe a old 4bd1

The only difference I see between these two engines is that the newer one has a turbo and the old one does not, otherwise these two engine are very much alike. They both share exhaust manifold on the left side and intake on the right. What they don't have in common is the year, condition and turbo. I'm not an Isuzu engine expert just used plain old common sense.

This is an Isuzu 4bd1
1423611665777-jpg.1029843

I rotated this engine pic for clarity
This is an Isuzu 4bd1t (Turbo)
full

The turbo is driven by the exhaust manifold on the left side, the air comes from the air cleaner then goes thru the turbo and into the intake manifold on the right side of the engine.

If you look on the block on the exhaust side down about 2" off where the pan bolts on it will say what the engine is im betting 4bd1 as well.

I'm pretty convinced it's a 4BD1 but would like to know for sure and what year. I guess I need to check isuzu website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom