The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can tell I'm new at posting on a forum... I'm going to investigate the off-boost screw. The wire has been cut by po, I think fuel turned down to compensate for the clapped out ct26 on there before.

I don't claim that my setup is perfect, what's your version of perfect(compromise) efficiency? It's what this thread was about.
GT22? TD04?
CT12B sounds good too mate. But I'd go TD05 7cm
I think paying less than $2.5k for a turbo is getting closer to perfect:)

I think this thread has shown Gturbo is as close to perfect as is available, but with a price tag to match.

Of the two above, I think I'd opt for the td05 7cm one. The ad doesnt specifically state what platform the CHRA uses? Assuming its gtx CHRA with ct26 housings?
Based on discussion here, I asked Mambatek if they could supply a version of this with an 11blade turbine for better efficiency and better low end. No such part is available.

Having said all that, I have a used ct12b/hdfte turbo I'll be putting to use at some point. Price was right! Turbine design is also not ideal, not as efficient as newer options.
But I have collected almost all parts needed to fit it up with Supra front housing and install it.

Cheers for the reply, you get what you pay for I guess. I'm still not overly convinced... External gate setup will be better again too. But gturbo is getting a good reputation for their product. The owner seems nice too.
Your hybrid set up sounds good too mate, fun to be had at trying the unconventional is priceless!
I think this thread has shown Gturbo is as close to perfect as is available, but with a price tag to match.

Of the two above, I think I'd opt for the td05 7cm one. The ad doesnt specifically state what platform the CHRA uses? Assuming its gtx CHRA with ct26 housings?
Based on discussion here, I asked Mambatek if they could supply a version of this with an 11blade turbine for better efficiency and better low end. No such part is available.

Having said all that, I have a used ct12b/hdfte turbo I'll be putting to use at some point. Price was right! Turbine design is also not ideal, not as efficient as newer options.
But I have collected almost all parts needed to fit it up with Supra front housing and install it.
It's early days for me regarding these motors, I'm happy to say I eventually wound the main fuel screw 1.75 turns, drives cleaner and smoother with more torque. The motor seems happier too, it fixed up the delay before boost fuel kicks in. I get to drive it with less downshift. Eg is about the same on cruise but 100c more on full load. Gear changes are smoother too.
I got all the info from here, Love this forum! :)

Got this guy back yesterday, hope to get it installed with all new Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets in the next few weeks then the safari!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They turned out beauty. I am flattered to hear the complements on the few that have actually got their hands on one. There is a chance that I may be running one on my 77 also

I'm working with a turbo builder over here (the one who built my Garrett GTX) to develop a hi flow CT26 safe for 50+ psi with response similar to or better than the GTurbo BBX. My main issue with GTurbo being reliability, there's been quite a few failures lately. Also he will only back them to 40 psi and I'm currently running 38 at 18:1 with more fuel left in the pump. Once this turbo is tested on my car, and we can compare results directly to GTurbo since I have one, they will be available for purchase, at a much nicer price. Just for S&G, here's the vid of the first 38 psi run :cool:

I'm working with a turbo builder over here (the one who built my Garrett GTX) to develop a hi flow CT26 safe for 50+ psi with response similar to or better than the GTurbo BBX.

Honestly, there's no point and it probably won't happen. 50psi from a single stage compressor is pointless as the operating range between surge and choke gets very very short and efficiency is sacrificed for pressure ratio. If you want 50psi then you need compounds.

Honestly, there's no point and it probably won't happen. 50psi from a single stage compressor is pointless as the operating range between surge and choke gets very very short and efficiency is sacrificed for pressure ratio. If you want 50psi then you need compounds.
He seems to think it's a feasible possibility. I'm happy to be a test pilot. He'll send a prototype, I'll bolt it up, do a dyno run, get some back pressure readings and go from there

I said go for it .. !!!!

and wonder how long your HD-T it's gonna hold ..
Have run 30+ for 18 months now, when I replaced the crank due to the balancer cracking there was no wear on the bebs or mains and the hone marks were still visible in the bores. Compression is only down slightly on factory, so I'm pretty confident in the motors ability to handle big boost

Rob could you please post up a vid of boost response of the BBX lower in the RPM range please?
I'm thinking from 1200 RPM in 4th gear on a flat road. Show the AFR if possible or just state how low it goes until boost picks up.

This can give some perspective on the suitability of each turbo for everyday driving. And give a good comparison for other turbos. This will enable manual and auto vehicles to compare with 1:1 ratio.

Rob could you please post up a vid of boost response of the BBX lower in the RPM range please?
I'm thinking from 1200 RPM in 4th gear on a flat road. Show the AFR if possible or just state how low it goes until boost picks up.

This can give some perspective on the suitability of each turbo for everyday driving. And give a good comparison for other turbos. This will enable manual and auto vehicles to compare with 1:1 ratio.
Haha with my pump it's just rolling coal until the turbo spools if you give it full welly off boost. 14:1 is not unheard of. About 12-1300 it picks up to 17:1 and the boost gauge will start to register, then 14-1500 it'll have about 5-8 psi. Yesterday I saw 35psi by 2000 rpm in 4th while towing, clearly it liked the extra load :D but the response was crazy quick, 8 psi at 1500 to 35 at 2000

Thanks Rob that's almost exactly what I would like to hear.
Sounds like the BBX starts to boost at the same region as my stock ct26 once fuelled up. That means I don't really want a grunter spec as I'm happy with the way it drives now would just like more than 14psi.

I will be watching for the new ct26 option. I don't think I want 50psi, yet haha, but I'll be happy with 30.

I don't drive mine under 1500 except for first gear, so having a turbo that spools any earlier is kind of pointless, the torque band is around 1800-2500, so that's my shift points when towing, to make use of it. It'll happily pull through 3000+, but you're out of the torque range by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom